THR Still in Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @sandydog for your prompt reply. I'm going for some massage work this week on my thigh and glutes to see if this will help. Also will make an appt. with a neurologist to try to get a handle on this nerve pain which is intermittent but awful on days I have it and I can't do much to relieve it but sit in my recliner or lie on the bed. That's no life! I hope the explanation you hear from your doc is good news. What kind of specialist is he/she?
 
@sandydog hi, I noticed you commented on another thread and mentioned me. I was reading some of your thread. It sounds so much like mine. Of course, my surgery was a year before yours. But, I am doing great now. It took a year! And I have spinal stenosis, too; it was discovered while I was undergoing every test imaginable to try to find out where my thigh pain was coming from. I don't know if it contributed to my thigh pain or not.

This surgery was such an experience for me. I thought I would bounce back quickly. I was in great shape going in to surgery. I knew several people who were as good as new after a few months, but I struggled with severe pain for such a long time afterwards! I thought there was something wrong with my implant. No one could figure it out. It was so discouraging and then one morning I woke up and the pain was gone, poof. Almost a year to the day.

I still don't know why I had so much pain. Maybe I tried to do too much, but I thought I was doing everything right, I did go back to the gym after several weeks, but I still think I was very conservative with my workouts. I can only surmise that my pain was muscle or soft tissue related, but it sure felt like something worse! I will occasionally get some thigh pain now when I do too much, but it is minor and goes away. I am happy with my new hip now, but it was pretty rough for a long time. I need to do my other hip, but am putting it off as long as I can because this surgery was so traumatic for me. I am hoping my experience gives you some hope that you will get better eventually! At 6 months out, I was still dealing with alot of pain. Hang in there and good luck!
 
@nochoice-It has been so long now since I was on the forum! Finally, the diagnosis came back from my MRI OF THE SPINE. I do have lumbar spinal stenosis. The leg in my hip and thigh down to the knee is caused by a narrow opening of my spinal canal-which in turn is clamping down on that nerve that affects my leg/hip normal walking and standing up. I am relieved that the hip replacement is in tact and no problem with that. Unfortunately, the lumbar problem was also caused by osteoarthritis (which is why I had to have the hip replaced) and an old lumbar injury from the 80's. ( a fracture) My first (3 if I need them) cortizone spinal injection is tomorrow. The shots have worked for a friend of mine for a few years, but she did have to have surgery, later. Her surgery was successful so she is back working etc. My doctors have explained to me the shots may allow me to live a normal life...OR THEY MAY NOT WORK AT ALL. But normal to me is working on a plane as a flight attendant. My goal is to return to work, until I am 65 and can get medicare. Thank you to all who have been such a GREAT SUPPORT to me while I was so despondent since July. (my surgery was march 20, 2015). We all know our bodies better than anyone, and I kept going back to my doctor saying, something is not right. I hope all who are in the forum have a speedy and healthy recovery!!!!
 
@sandydog Thanks for letting us know what the results of your testing showed. I hope the shots work for you and provide relief. I'm still torn about whether I should start complaining more to my doctor or just hope I'm a slow healer. Cheers to a normal life!
 
Glad to hear that you finally have an answer. Sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time. I'm 53 and went back to work 8 weeks post-op to a full-time office job. We had hip replacements within days of each other and I remember you from that time. I too have spinal osteoarthritis with a degenerating L2 , but thank God so far it has not flared up too badly while dealing with the hips. I had a ultrasound guided Cortisone shot this morning in my "unoperated" hip in an attempt to gain more time between hip replacements. I should know in 3-5 days whether it will work. The injection itself is quick and easy and is definitely worth a "shot" in your situation (and mine), IMHO. If you are unfortunate enough to have a very rare side effect called a pain flare (I did this afternoon after the anesthetic injected with the cortIsone wore off), take some pain meds and go back to the post-op icing routine. I'm very comfortable this evening after taking 2 arthritis strength Tylenol and icing. Best wishes for tomorrow's procedure.

LTHR 3/16/2015 Mako robotic assisted lateral approach


Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do have lumbar spinal stenosis.
So sorry to hear this @sandydog ! Welcome to my club. I have suffered with stenosis and degenerative discs for years. Yes, for some the injections work. It's something you have to try. I had 3 - 1 worked and the other 2 did not. Finally had spinal surgery but can't say I recommend that as it didn't really work either.

Please let us know how you get on with your injections.
 
It has been since sept. 23 that I was on here! If you have followed my thread...I had THR on March 20, 2015. After 3 months I went back to work as a flight attendant, and ended up on a walker and cane in July.( not due to any injury or fall) My last posting I had an MRI showing spinal lumbar stenosis, which my hip surgeon believed was the reason why I still had hip, and leg pain. He has always believed it was a soft tissue problem, but did not know what caused it. A new twist to the story...after a spinal lumbar injection which only brought about minimal relief...I sought a second opinion from a spine surgeon. He does NOT believe anything is wrong with my spine!! He ordered a bone scan with contrast, because he believes it has something to do with my prosthetic. The bone scan results showed flareup all around the joint. So he suggested that my prosthetic may have slipped! The plot thickens, since I have to now go back to my hip surgeon with the bone scan results. My hip doctor tells me that he would never have ordered a bone scan because many of them show a false positive under a year of surgery. He does not believe the problem is my prosthetic. He just has no other ideas, why I walk with a limp, and cant walk very far without pain. I am seeking a second opinion with another hip surgeon on Thursday, and possibly will seek out a recommended chiropractor. I am resentful that my hip surgeon has washed his hands of all of this....He makes me feel like I am making it up. I went back to work to fly internationally. I don't care that I limp, I have to make a living and keep benefits for my family.( plus staying at home was driving me crazy) Walking through the airports is challenging, but I did ok with lots of ibuprofin. I know I can't keep this up indefinitely, and I truly am trying to have a positive attitude and to be patient. If you saw me walk down the street you would probably think that I needed a hip replacement! . I know many of you have had pain, too. I have forgotten which one of you said almost 12 months to the date of hip surgery that your pain just disappeared. Maybe one day that will happen. I am certainly more empathetic of people with chronic pain! In the meantime, life goes on, right?
 
I am seeking a second opinion with another hip surgeon on Thursday, and possibly will seek out a recommended chiropractor.
Excellent idea. I think you should see someone totally unconnected with the surgeon who performed your THR. If the implant was not positioned correctly you need this fixed. Are you seeing a revision specialist? All the best on Thursday. Please keep us updated!
 
@sandydog Hi yet again. I'm so sorry to hear you are still having problems and in pain. Me too. I'm 6 months out and while still having improvement ever so slowly, I'm seeking other advice. I've seen a neurologist as I do have neuropathy but the THR has made it much worse. She thinks I have a mild compression of L5 but no treatment other than back exercises, most of which I can't do. She did say that I might visit a physiatrist (rehab doc.) so am going to a pain clinic in two weeks. This doc started out as a PT so will be an interesting perspective. I really miss traveling but can't imagine navigating airports or sitting for any length of time. I'm amazed you are still able to do your challenging job. Please check in and let us know what happens next. And good luck!
 
@sandydog -I too am sorry to hear about your pain and unhelpful surgeon. Too bad these docs can't get together and discuss the problem to see if they can figure it out. I know many have big egos. Also some radiologists are better than others at reading MRIs I am told.
I had my surgery the same time as you and although I can walk without hip pain my knee area hurts and my OS said it was sciatic nerve problems. I am hoping it goes away.
I salute you for working with such chronic pain and send best wishes for a good recovery.
 
@jayce. thanks! He is a hip surgeon that does THR . my arm surgeon recommended him. It should be interesting to see what he says
 
@nochoice, Thanks for the comment.I am sorry you also are still in pain. I have not heard of a physiatrist! I do think seeking out a pain management specialist is a great idea. Hopefully that will help. I miss travelling for fun, too. At work I am ok if I keep moving! I agree, though, that sitting for long periods of time is awful, when you stand up. Let us know how the PT goes!
 
@Granny Di-wow, we were close together with surgery. I am very glad that you dont have any more hip pain. That is interesting about your knee pain. Back in June before I back to work, my knee also started hurting, and I bought a brace for it. My PT guy said that was common. It still hurts at times, but my hip,pain overshadows that. I hope your nerve pain goes away soon
 
My cousin is a physiatrist and they specialize in testing for nerve damage. He retired last year but he was a very good doctor. I finally got my lift for my non op side as my op side is one cm longer than the other side so everything is settling and realigning resulting in new aches and pains and other mysterious goings on. I feel like a puppet with a brand new incompetent string manipulator.
Cant you get a disability pension?
 
@Granny Di- Hi. so much going on. Yes, I do have disability benefits.. I did not want long term disability, because it is not much and you get taxed. So I went back to work, and just work less hours. I did go to a recommended revision specialist who reconstructs, people's hip replacements. He took one xray, and knew right away what was wrong!! He did say the bone scan backed up his diagnosis, but sometimes bone scans do have false positives under a year of recovery. Anyway. he showed me the position of my ball and stem...and the stem is in the wrong position...so he believes it is loose, and that is why I can't walk far, because it starts to toggle and that causes the pain. I was finally receiving the answer I have sought since July!! Unfortunately, I am scheduled to have a re-do on my hip. Dec. 29, he will go in the same place, and hopefully keep the plastic socket and liner. He will put in a ball/stem that he has used and has NEVER HAD A PATIENT that has had a problem with it. I hope I am not the first:loll:I cannot believe I have to go through this again...but I have to be positive and if this is a way to keep me from limping and in pain, then so be it...I hope all is going well with you and others in this forum!!
 
What a journey you have had @sandydog ! So glad you finally found someone who will help you get this all sorted. Another surgery is not what you wanted I am sure. But at least this surgeon is heading in the right direction. Please keep us updated!
 
@sandydog Wow! Guess you won't be dancing on New Years Eve! That is a horrible thing to happen but at least you have a doctor who says he can fix it and let's hope he is right. Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy Christmas before you head back to the OR. Good luck!
Diane
 
@Granny Di- ha. I can still swing my walker around on New Years Eve! Look at it this way...no hangover for me on New Years Day. Yes, the thought of surgery, rehab, again, is not a pleasant thought...but I am envisioning walking with no pain, and working without grimacing! And for that I will gladly go through with this! I hope you and @Jacey will enjoy the holidays! Yes, I will keep you updated, and will look forward to reading about others progress, too!
 
@sandydog I have just read through your thread and boy what a journey you have been through.I think it's really bad that the surgeon who did your primary THR just washed his hands of you despite the bone scan demonstrating that your stem was misplaced.On a positive note I am so pleased that you have found a good revision surgeon and that you haven't long to wait to get it fixed.There will be plenty more New Years Eves to celebrate with a fully functioning pain free hip.Wishing you lots of luck for the 29th December
 
Gosh, reading your story, I'm just filled with anger at your original surgeon! Thank goodness it seems that you've found someone who can and is willing to truly help you! So what if you can't dance without assistance from a walker - you'll be better equipped to become pain free with your hip! Best of luck and many Blessings to you for your upcoming revision surgery!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom