MUA Stiffness - hard to do exercises

@LINYKnee Happy NYE
I am also 6 weeks out! I had IT band issues that my PT worked on with some light massage! I am done with PT now. I bought a small roller to work on it at home.
I also think that at 6 weeks, we lose some patience with the process. I remind myself how early in recovery I am and that things will continue to improve!
My OS said to keep stretching, so thats what I do!
Take care!
 
Hello and Happy NY Eve to all!
six weeks out here. Saw OS and wasn’t happy with my ROM and suggested MUA.
i get to about 90 at PT, but not same result at home. Tightens up shortly after I leave PT.
Ive been reading about the IT Band. Seems to be my issues. It’s causing me not to be able to bend at this point the way I was hoping for.
PT ( which is not aggressive ) seems to flair it up.
Any input about this would be greatly appreciated. I skipped PT yesterday ( I go 3x a week ) because the IT seemed to be aggravated by the days before PT. It’s kinda a bummer. I just tried to get into my car , but no success. I do all daily living stuff. I walk a lot , laundry , cook, clean, up and down stairs. I also Ice / elevate / and rest when needed. Also do some stretching at home. Thank you for any help with this.
Thank You !
I will be VERY polite here and say 'Oh dear, darned IT band'! [The descriptive word I could use would probably have me banned for life!:heehee:]

This innocuous ligament has been the source of many of my left leg problems over the years, probably due to bad gait. My physio has had her elbow into it more times than I care to remember and it ruddy well hurts, that's both the elbow and the tight IT band.:)
However, I am an ACE at IT band stretches. If you can't find a decent elbow any time soon, google the stretches. They do help.

Now, as to getting into the car, my seat doesn't have to go quite as far back as it did before I get in and out so I suppose that's a baby step forward.
My only consolation is, my physio doesn't think the non joint problems, will have any long lasting effect on knee flexation.

Got to take the pluses in life!

Happy New Year for tomorrow, bring on the ability to get into a car without having to push the seat back!
 
I was only about 90 at 3 months as well @LINYKnee, PT only kept my swelling up and ROM down. I would consider skipping PT for at least a couple of weeks and continue to ice and elevate. It's almost always swelling limiting ROM and not adhesions. At 12 months I was up to 120 and at 24 months somewhere over 140.
 
Thank you very much.
i also think taking a couple of weeks off is a good idea. I’ve never taken a period of time off from PT. Maybe that would help. Even though my PT is non-aggressive. Leg is so stiff around the knee cap and outside my knee, swollen but not like early on.
 
Hi LINYKnee ... former 'Jersey girl here! I agree with FC, and think you should consider taking a couple of weeks off, too: it will clarify for you if the PT really IS too intense, even though you seem to think it's not too aggressive. It might just be too much for YOUR knee... I also was threatened with a MUA at an early point in my first recovery, too, and lightening up the PT helped. Plus, I didn't go back to the OS at the next appointment, maybe 2 months after the MUA threat. I waited a couple of months longer, and was fine by then. And my bend improved weekly without the PT, just using a few stretches, walking, daily activities, etc. If your knee is stiff, it's likely swelling on the inside, that's not very visible to you because it's... well, inside! I think sometimes PT is just not what our knees really need at times, so they swell up with inflammation in protest...

Happy New Year's Eve!
 
Hello and Happy NE to
You !!
yes this is all very confusing. Seems
To be the way to go by backing off for a couple of weeks them evaluate the situation!
thank
You for your words.
have a great Sunday
 
Hello to Everyone
8 weeks out. Still very stiff. IT band Not being cooperative.
How many hours a day should I elevate ?
im back at the office only four hours a day, three days a week. Mostly work from home.
I do elevate while at my desk at work. . But just curious about elevating at this point ? Thank You!
 
@LINYKnee - on the days that you are not working I would increase the elevating and icing throughout the day. With my first replacement I went back to work at 6 weeks to the same hours you are doing and I do think it really impeded my recovery process as I got so stiff and sore and swelling increased on the days I was at my "desk" job. If you can add an ice pack under your desk that would help and most importantly get up every 30 minutes to stretch and walk around for a while. Don't keep the new knee in the same position for any length of time at your desk. I personally am a huge fan of icing while elevating and anytime I sat down - which was often - I would ice and elevate for a couple of hours at a time but find what is comfortable for you. It is still very early in your recovery and you say you are still very stiff which is normal so ice and elevate as much as you can. I don't think you can overdo it unlike other activities. Good luck with your continued recovery.
 
Hello to everyone ,
Is a heating pad good to use ? I do use it sometimes. But not sure if it really helps me. Any advice is welcomed. Thank you. Have a great weekend !!
 
What are you using the heating pad for?
 
If you are unsure whether it’s helping or not why continue? Or are you asking if it’s ok to use heat? You can also alternate heat and ice for swelling. A heating pad is fine after 8-10 weeks of your soft tissues healing always making sure there is a cloth between the pad and the scar just as you do with ice. You can also try the Saran Wrap remedy which is especially good for nerve and skin sensitivity pain during healing. Just search on Saran Wrap and you’ll find the article here. Hope you feel better soon.
 
Hello to everyone ,
Is a heating pad good to use ?

I typically use a heating pad around my new knee before I start my stretching and bending routine. It helps "loosen" up the knee somewhat, making the first couple of minutes of the workout a lot less unpleasant than otherwise.

When done with the routine, I typically ice up the knee ... and, understandably, after icing, the knee doesn't feel quite as flexible as prior to the icing.

Early on (I'm now almost 7 weeks into my RTKR), I tried using the heat pad after my routine and realized that, for me, it was a big mistake - that seemed to cause increased swelling and discomfort. So now, I use heat before and ice after working out and that seems to work just fine.

Get better soon!
 
Does your knee feel warm to the touch? If so, it's still swollen and you should use ice. If it's not swollen then you can use heat, I just wouldn't use it on a swollen area that is already warm to the touch...... :unsure:

Maybe one of the staff would have better advice? @djklaugh
 
You still have swelling at least internally at 2 months so you don't want to use heat on the surgical area, it can make the swelling worse. It's fine to use on muscles like your quads or calf that my be painful as well.
 
@Susie-Q Thanks for thinking of me. Alas knees are not one of my areas of "expertise". Hips and shoulders though --- those I know quite well.
 
Hello
12 weeks out and very stiff. I followed a light to med PT program, any other way was killing me.
did all I could at home with stretching etc..plus walking , and a very good amount of daily activity. Unfortunately I did not get the bend we all desire. Less than 70. Straightening totally fine.
No pain at all here.
just a tight band feeling in the left outside , lower part of knee. I had to stop Celebrex due to the fact it doesn’t go well with My blood thinner. Could have been a huge problem. Prescribed my a PA. After six weeks had to stop and now feeling the difference without it.
feb 8th I am having a MUA. I hope this works. I wonder now, did I take it too light , meaning the PT. I have read that this happened to 1% who have this. I then will continue after MUA with PT and a bending machine that will be delivered to my house for three weeks , 6 hours a day says surgeon
Much longer road than I expected. As I said earlier , the past Wednesday was 12 weeks out.
Very depressed about this all.
 
Back
Top Bottom