MUA Stiffness - hard to do exercises

Hello, three weeks out today.
so tight and stiff around my knee and calf area. Hope this stiffness goes away sooner than later.
How long before I may feel a difference?
thanks everyone
Have a restful , pain free day !
 
@LINYKnee ...I am 3 weeks out, also! I am on my second knee! I, too have that tightness, sometimes it feels like my lower leg is wrapped!
Other days, like today, it feels pretty good!
I usually get on my exercise bike to get a good stretch. Just keep moving as much as you can! It will go away with time!
 
Just keep moving as much as you can!
Make sure these are gentle movements, at 3 weeks your knee needs a lot of rest. Moving too much can quickly put you in the Over Did It Club!
 
Hello ,
I have a feeling like a 2x4 is in my leg and trying to bust out the side of my leg. It’s only on the one side where numb. The inside is not numb and feels
Fine. Anyone experience this ?
thanks everyone
 
PS
Comes along what feels
Like the pieces in my leg are rattling around. Like he forgot A screw or something. Lol. Hope it’s Pat for the course. !!
 
@LINYKnee Due to the trauma your knee went through during surgery it takes a long time for everything to settle down. There may be episodes of numbness, shooting pain, tingling, stiffness, popping and creaking- everyone of these episodes is completely normal! You may get none, some or all of these sensations- knee recovery can be a many splendored thing:gaah:
At the beginning the tightness and stiffness of my leg was difficult to deal with, I found doing my exercise and stretches helped over time- I am 10 weeks out now and still in the mornings when getting out of bed I can feel like I have a plank instead of a leg so I take my time and stretch before actually getting up, it eases once I get up and start moving.
I would suggest searching through the posts on here as so many of the members have already gone through what you are currently going through and have some great advice and suggestions on dealing with whatever symptom you might get.
Hoping you feel better soon.
 
Hello SKS,
Are you having any bending problems otherwise? And do you need any device to walk at all ? How long before you were driving ?
I think I’m just impatient.

I drove my manual car when my insurance became valid again which was 4 weeks post op. as I could manage an emergency stop if needed.
I got signed off by my surgeon with a metaphorical Gold Star last week [6 wk post op] and I am completely in the hands of my wonderful physio who has warned me not to throw away my walking aids even though I haven't used them around the house for four weeks.
Two main reasons
a] it warns others, and reminds myself I'm not 100% stable yet
b] they are there to keep me upright and with no undue pressure on either hip or knee.

As she said, gait wise, when out and about, walking badly, even occasionally, without crutches or walking well, with them? No contest.

So my advice, for what it's worth is don't be in a hurry to dismiss walking aids out of hand. The only person I'm impressing is myself and remembering pride and a fall, my crutches [can't be bothered with a walking stick at the moment] go with me even though I don't need them most of the time
 
Thank you for all your input. It all helps.
i can not lift my leg on its own , at all. No strength there to do so. This weather in NY isn’t helping either. Don’t know if that has anything to do with anything. It’s all a days by day situation. Thanks for all the Bone Smart Family with sharing your stories here. Very grateful !
Thanks again !!
 
Hello. My therapist has been not hurting me but says we have to bent or …….
We all have heard the threats.
4 weeks out. Stiff very stiff and also swollen.
after the PT, next day I’m even more swollen and in pain. As easy as he tries to go , stops before I’m In Pain. He listens. But this all seems counterproductive. Is the stIffness in my knee have anything to do with no bending or am I healing?
i need some clarification here. I had PT appointment today but cancelled. I need a break !
I know the Bone Smart way , of course therapist says stop reading online.
it’s all very confusing and messes with my head at this point. I walk often throughout the day. I do laundry , cook, light cleaning , I’m able to shower. I cannot get in the drivers seat yet. Also do light stretching every day. As much as I leg let’s me.
all I hear is that im very far behind at my bend is not there and I can’t lift my leg up on its own.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
thank you very much Bone Smart Family !
 
Is the stIffness in my knee have anything to do with no bending or am I healing?
The stiffness is caused by internal swelling that is hindering an increase in the bend. Ice and elevate and let that knee settle. Then just do very gentle stretches/bends.
of course therapist says stop reading online.
That's because it's his way, or no way. What you are doing is counterproductive. There is no window of opportunity.

You are only one month out of a major operation. Very early days!
 
Thank you for all your input. It all helps.
i can not lift my leg on its own , at all. No strength there to do so. This weather in NY isn’t helping either. Don’t know if that has anything to do with anything. It’s all a days by day situation. Thanks for all the Bone Smart Family with sharing your stories here. Very grateful !
Thanks again !!

Don't worry about lifting your leg! It will happen! With my first surgery I was super stressed that I couldn't lift my leg... it took me almost 3 months to be able to do it! One day it just happened naturally. I'd say keep practicing tightening your quads.
 
Let me share my recovery experience @LINYKnee. Prior to my TKR I was aware of the BoneSmart gentle approach to recovery as opposed to rigorous PT. I was lucky enough to find the site before my TKR. Even though I knew about the BoneSmart approach my OS was all about PT and "whatever ROM you have when your scar turns silver is all the ROM you will ever have." He was the trained surgeon that has done many, many replacements, he must know what he's talking about right? So off I went to my first visit to PT, about 2 weeks out from TKR. The next day when my knee was more swollen and I was in much more pain I opted for a BoneSmart recovery. I never went to another PT session. That was one of the best decisions of my life. Not only did I suffer less pain, but my ROM has continued to improve over two years. It took a full year to reach 120 degrees but I was over 140 by the end of the second year of recovery. I've been hiking over rough terrain for good distances, scuba diving, and just living a happy active pain free life with more ROM than I ever thought I would have again after many painful years. I've now had a hip replacement with equal success following a BoneSmart approach. You don't have to suffer needlessly to have an amazing recovery.
 
Hello FC,
Thank you for sharing your story. It’s very inspirational. I like the approach you took. I spoke to my OS today and he was trying to encourage me to continue PT and need to get the bend. I told him I don’t let the PT hurt me. He says it may hurt to get the ROM “ he” desires. He also mentioned a Manipulation, I said well that’s not going to happen.
When I mentioned Scar Tissue ,and asked will
It form in a short period of time if I’m doing daily activities such as a good amount of walking , household stuff , laundry , change bed , cook and do my stretching without pain rest , ice and elevate ?
i seemed to catch him off guard. Well… he says it’s a possibility it may not happen to you but there is a chance you will only be at 70. I have my second visit with him on the 23rd. I also told him the the therapist that came here after 3 days post said the doc will be mad at you if you don’t bend. Lol
I mentioned that to him also. He politely says no, I would not be mad. I asked are these the typical scare tactics ? They don’t work with me.
I have the luxury working from home. I’m not in a rush. Not anymore ….
 
Your body, your choice of how to handle recovery. Could I have gotten my ROM sooner by pushing? Maybe, we'll never know because chose not to be in ongoing pain every time I went to PT for days. I'd guess my TKR knee is within 5-10 of my natural knee, so I definitely don't regret my decision.
 
So much depends on how each individual defines "pain." For me, the exercises hurt a bit, but not intensely. I always stopped before "intense." The main thing is to keep moving. The PT instruction sheet may say to do 30 repetitions. My PT said you can split those up and not do them all at once. So I might have done 30 heel slides over the course of a day--a few here and a few there.
 
Your knee is still a new baby, and frankly would be happy to elevate and ice. I think you might be over doing it around the house, and you don't even realize it. Until, of course you have more swelling and pain.

If you choose to do PT remember your the boss - your in charge - not the PT. You are allowed to change PT persons if you think that would help you. Or you may choose to not do "formal" PT at all. Many of us have done it with a PT and without "formal" PT. You get to choose which will work best for you. Don't allow the PT to determine what you decide.
 
Hello
Four plus weeks out. Getting alittle nervous. I can get a bend at therapy , almost 90 but at home I’m lucky if I get a 50. Flat straight , no problem. It’s the bending. Can’t get into The drivers seat of the car. No more walker , using cane now. I don’t even know what to do anymore. Im sorry at times that I did this.
 
Back
Top Bottom