BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Spring is right around the corner^

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Walkinginthesand, Jan 27, 2018.

1. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

United States United States
    You must go to classier shoe places than me - finding a salesperson at one of the big box places is impossible - just hunt in the stack until you find your size. That's even more difficult if you have wide peasant feet like me!

Hope your day is grand!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

Another question for you pros- @SaraK @Layla @Bumblebee @MammaT and the rest who have done this before. Along with my new hip, my doctor said he made my leg the same length as the other. I now stand on both feet and it feels so much better. But as I extend the distance I walk, my lower back, spine and neck hurt. This must be part of all the “realignment”. Any of you have this in addition to healing of hip? I have heat on neck and ice on hip. :loll:

Another question: yesterday, we went to a large furniture store to help our daughter. My husband told me I was limping. I was using my cane. Seems I don’t limp as badly just concentrating on heel-toe walking at home. Suggestions on not limping with cane? :bignono:

So much to relearn and rework. Man!!

@SaraK i don’t buy shoes at classy stores, just remembering shoe shopping at Kennedy’s shoe store and the undivided attention ! Or yes @Bumblebee the full service gas stations!

3. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

I'm not an expert but would think if the leg length differential is different after surgery than before (whether now same length or not), there would be a bit of pain as your muscles adjust. The muscle on one side were probably a tad shorter than the other and you're stretching them now. That might also be what is causing the limp - and its probably more noticeable when you've been walking a fair bit - like going through a warehouse of furniture (Nebraska Furniture Mart?). Try your best not to limp (walk more "mindfully" ) but realize it's going to happen soon. And don't try to ditch the cane until you get rid of the limp (and use it when you get tired from walking without it.

It's all probably just a matter of a bit more time. If it persists, evaluating it and providing stretches to help eliminate the limp is one thing a good PT should be able to help with.

Mentioning seeing Gary Pucket on NanaMama's thread today reminded me of the Starlight Theater - is that still there?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Bumblebee

Bumblebee senior

My muscles, low back, knee, too, ache after walking and even during the night.
    I don't limp at all with the cane. This happened with time. Now I am trying to walk without the cane only around the house as with the cane it's all too easy for me now....BUT...today I have been getting sharp pain in my upper buttock...maybe sciatic nerve protesting???? So, I am backing off free walking in the house and using the cane again. Oh yes, I wonder when all this protesting will stop.:whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

@Bumblebee - look at you now! Not quite 4 weeks after surgery and starting to transition off the cane. Much different pitch to the buzz from the first week or two. I like this one better!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bumblebee

Bumblebee senior

Me too!:ok:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Keep using any walking aids you need until you are fully confident. Retraining yourself to walk correctly is one of the hardest side effects of this surgery. Try the heel/toe walking being mindful of every step. If you can practice in front of a mirror that's great. If all else fails, a physio who does gait training is great.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

Yes starlight is still there and we go every summer!

And @SaraK you are good! It was nebraska furniture mart!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

@Jaycey and @SaraK retraining my gait is difficult. I walk perfectly in the small space of my house because I am concentrating and walking slowly and with purpose. At the furniture store I was hurrying it up and it was not good. Today muscles and back hurt!

It is 8 weeks now and we are wanting to do a 4 hour trip to Tulsa. Tim’s 94 mom lives there. Not sure I can physically do the car ride and not arrive all stiff and in pain- even after many stops. Once I overdo it, like yesterday with all the walking, I pay the next day!

Anybody do a 4 (5 hour with many stops) hour trip at 2 months following surgery? I am just unsure of my potential yet. I am going to call doctor tomorrow.

@SaraK you are my mover and shaker! Suggestions? Or “do it!” Motivational speeches???

10. Mascaramom

Mascaramom member

I have been so incredibly sore these last few days, even without The muscle strain from doing my own toes the other day. I actually feel better when I'm moving, but it hurts when I stop and have to start again. I'm definitely on my feet from 7:00 a.m. until at least 4 o'clock every day and by then I am ready to go to sleep for the night although my children disagree lol

I completely laid off physical therapy for 2 full weeks with the exception of some home exercises. It was making me feel worse. I 100% agree that I need to get back in shape but I need to recover 1st.
    I have found that if I don't focus on my walking I am walking better than if I am consciously thinking to myself, stand up straight and walk heel to toe... but I'm sure that's just me.
    I have begun to use the cane in the evening and Returned to climbing the steps with my good leg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

With my first THR, we made the 4 hour trip to KC (I drove most of the way) about 5 weeks but I also realize I had a quick recovery and that may not be the norm. I took breaks and walked around for about 5 minutes every hour and also kept ice on the hip. In some ways, this might be a good test for the travel part of your trip to Omaha. If you get there and it wipes you out, you can just rest up while Tim visits with his mom.

On the other hand, if you'd like some time to yourself, tell Tim you're not sure you're up to it but he should go without you. :giggle:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

@SaraK i think I am scared to travel. Strange for me. I love to do this trip and visit family as well as decorate mom and dad’s graves. Not like me at all.:chinstroke: We will stay in a hotel this trip so I have a bed to flip and flop. The twin beds at Tim’s moms are so lumpy and awful!!! Home just feels so safe. Stay tuned for final decision ...

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

Responding over here (although @MyAussieGirl is probably used to a hijack or two or twelve) - maybe we are related (although, my sister and brother were good athletes, so maybe I was adopted from your family). Too funny about the skirt! I was the only one brave enough to tell one of my high school teachers that she'd accidentally tucked the back of her skirt into her panty hose.

As you think about the trip to Tulsa, just think about what it means about your recovery that you're even considering this trip. A month ago, you probably wouldn't have thought there was any chance of doing something like this. I understand being nervous about the trip but, if you dont do this one, would it decrease the chance of your Junkapalooza trip because you'd be nervous about that one? You'll have more chance to rest on this trip (even while visiting) than the next.

You may have already figured it out by now but, if someone asks me if they should do something, I'm probably going to advocate going for it unless it's something dangerous!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I did a 6 hour trip with several stops 4 weeks out from RTHR. I took those instant ice packs and used just a couple. Stopped and walked around for several minutes. I was slightly stiff on arrival but not bad.
    It's tough as the security of your own home is comforting during recovery. But remember - THR isn't about losing your mobility. Stiffness can be addressed with ice and rest.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. hipster333

hipster333 senior

Canada Canada
    8 weeks out! Hooray! I hit 6 weeks tomorrow (and lose my restrictions!!!!!) I think you should be ok for your trip as long as you make sure to take frequent breaks. I went along to my daughter's painting class on Saturday, which is 45 min away) and brought my ice pack with me. Her class is 1.5 hrs and we were driving and getting in and out of the car most off the time. It was fine. As SaraK said, this will be a good test to see how you would do for the junkapalooza. :loveshwr: It is hard to think about leaving home and I understand your trepidation. I am worried about going back to work next week since I won't have my ice or my nice comfy napping bed there. Just found out hubby has to go away overseas for three weeks end of April too and not sure I'm up to work plus all of the driving around with the kids activities. :thud:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Mascaramom

Mascaramom member

• Like Like x 1
  17. hipster333

hipster333 senior

Canada Canada
    I can't feel sorry for myself. you've been doing this for weeks @Mascaramom!

18. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

You know what would make this all soooo much easier @hipster333 @Mascaramom is we all need to live on the same block. I am retired and could do some of the running kids. One could do crock pot meals for 3 families and we could divide other chores! Make life so much easier. Maybe Florida would be best choice!

• Like Like x 3
  19. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

Can I come, too? After all, you can't leave your twin sister behind!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. hipster333

hipster333 senior

Canada Canada
    @Walkinginthesand I'm loving that idea!! I'll do the cooking! Florida sounds perfect! @SaraK you are absolutely welcome. You can get us all dancing! :dancy:@Mascaramom you'll have to show us all the hot spots!! :happydance: