BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Spring is right around the corner^

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Walkinginthesand, Jan 27, 2018.

1. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

United States United States
    @Walkinginthesand - my recoveries were both different even though I had same surgeon and same approach (posterior). With the first one I was still using cane at the point you’re at and had difficulty with chairs because it felt like I had a tennis ball in my butt cheek. With my newest replacement I’m already off cane unless the leg is tired. I’m only able to sit in one chair at the moment (precautions) but I don’t think I’ve got the tennis ball thing like last time either. Hang in there - patience can be difficult. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy Monday @Walkinginthesand Hi there @Poodles

Flesh was cut...Power tools were used
    We don't all come to the party in the same shape physically.
    Some using assistive devices, others not.
    Some using NSAIDs for great lengths of times, others not,
    hips possibly in the same shape. Different pain tolerance.
    So difficult not to compare our recovery to others but look at the fine example hikejunkie gave above.
    Wishing you patience in large doses. Let that implant settle in. It's going to serve you for many years to come :yay:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

@Jaycey it is difficult. I was active even while hurting and limping so I am hard on myself. I know it is the “molding and shaping” that is going on and I need to just give it more time to heal. Somebody said they are tired of people telling you where you “should be” at 3 months!!!! “You’re still tired?” “You’re still limping some.”

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

@hikejunkie the tennis ball comes and goes but that is perfect analogy! Plus lower back is so sore from Doc making legs the same length after not bring since childhood!! :dubious: Lots of adjusting @Layla I realize. How could I have had so much patience with teaching kiddos for 30 years and cannot give myself a breather. :rotfl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. hipster333

hipster333 senior

Canada Canada
    I feel your pain @Walkinginthesand after 10 weeks I feel like the limping and the pain should be over already. We’ll get there together. Hugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I hear you! These comments are so unhelpful. Everyone heals differently and to judge based on time only is just unrealistic! Don't listen to any of this and walk away from anyone who is judging you. You are where on are in this recovery. You will get there - it just take more time for some of us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

Plus @Jaycey i do myself in some days by not resting and going too long and too hard.

8. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

@Poodles we were at my husband’s oncologist last week and he said after THR, his wife was frustrated until about 3 1/2 to 4 months and then she suddenly “got better”! She is an active gal and sounds like frustrations we all have expressed. I remember being released to go back to work 6 weeks after hysterectomy and thinking “I’m not ready for this!” We think the dates suggested are like specific due dates. Oh, and for fun my husband and I looked at class a motor homes. I fell in love!!!!! It was cold, windy and barometric pressure changing- my hip was sooooo achy.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Poodles

Poodles member

@Walkinginthesand How is your husband doing?

After my hysterectomy, I went back to work in two weeks. I have done that with every stinkin' major surgery I have ever had...including my THRs. I have the ovarian surgery coming up July 28...it's a Friday and I'm sure I will be working in some form by Monday, even if it is at home. Honestly, it's very frustrating, but I have always worked for small companies and have been a key person. I am lucky in many regards as I get a lot of leeway for working at home, however. But that's not all good, too. If you are like me, you work all times of the day or night.

As for suddenly getting better, that's me! I was so sad the week prior wondering if anything was going to change, and on Tuesday or Wednesday, something happened! Night and day difference. Now to change my thought process!

Motorhomes. Oh, Walkinginthesand, I cannot tell you how much I love ours and the freedom we have. We are gone again next weekend, then home a weekend, then gone for 3 more nights. At the end of May, we are taking off to Eastern Oregon for a partial week. I drive it 95% of the time and prefer driving to sitting. Gary does the setup, which I can do easily, too...if I have to. Not nearly the amount of work as a travel trailer. I've taken mine to dog shows by myself. Next, I need to learn to hook the Jeep up to it by myself, but I can do it now!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bumblebee

Bumblebee senior

My "tennis ball" feels more like a marble and its below the butt cheek on the thigh. :heehee: How long before this goes away?????

11. Bumblebee

Bumblebee senior

Ok, I'm marking my calendar! At least its a goal. :fingersx: I won't view it as a "specific due date" though. :heehee:

12. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

Below butt cheek? If I recall correctly mine was just about in the middle of it. It took months to go away - I’d say about 4 months post-op. It wouldn’t bother me unless I sat on a hard surface.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Layla

:wave:Hi!
    I found that sensation to be in the middle of my rear also. I knew I wasn't sitting on anything but I'd shift around
    like I was trying to get off of it! :heehee: I equated it to the size of a golf ball with tennis ball consistency.
    I know....cuckoo! :rotfl: Drove me the most crazy when I was driving.
    @Walkinginthesand

Wishing you a great weekend!

14. Bumblebee

Bumblebee senior

Yep, below, on the thigh actually....feel it when I walk.

15. Layla

Hi @Walkinginthesand
    I'm gathering through what I read elsewhere that you're struggling a bit with your
    progress. Consider having Josephine weigh in. I'd tag her for you but want to leave that up to you.
    It may be beneficial to let her weigh in. Just something to think about...
    Wishing you a peaceful week!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

@Layla and @Josephine i am not sure I am having trouble, more curious as to others recovery. I am 4 months post op and was no weight bearing for 6 week. I do great at the beginning of the day, but by evening I am really limping. My leg just gets really tired. Most of “my group” has graduated and doesn’t post much and wondered if this was how most progress. What I read on the internet says I should be good as new by now and I am good just not hiking or doing long walks yet. Been to loads of graduations and school programs, but I take my cane. Should I push harder? Just questions. I see my doctor the end of the month and want a superior rating. :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

18. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

19. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
    This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
    (which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
    - how many sessions you do each day
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
    - how many times a week
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.

20. Walkinginthesand

Walkinginthesand senior

1. Posterior

2. Pain in morning is minimal maybe a 2 - just sore. By evening, 5 of 6 with ache in socket and thigh muscles. As well as knees. If I put my hand on incision area, I can make myself walk more normally.

3. I was prescribed Tramadol and hydrocodone but do not take. I just take some Tylenol at bedtime

4. I still do ice the groin area and incision area some nights. Lower back area feels good with heat. My legs were different lengths my whole life and I even wore corrective shoes. Now they are the same length so I think lower back aches are this

5. I sit in my recliner but wonder if I should elevate more. On the sofa on pillows?

6. I am doing household activities and volunteering. We have had loads of graduations and grandkids school programs. LONG WALKS and side stepping into rows. When I rise, leg takes a minute to get going. Does that make sense? The other night at dinner with friends, my leg felt like jelly when I got up from the table. Took my husband’s arm.

7. I do no exercises. Suggestions?

8. PT was for a few weeks after surgery. No problems with those.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I want to take the dog for walks, but leg doesn’t feel strong enough if she pulled at the leash. I still concentrate on walking - it does not come naturally. A limp is easy. :heehee: Maybe I am expecting too much and it may just take me longer?