Guest viewing is limited

TKR Spring in my step?

Fourth full day at home today, thankful that we’ve had some sunnier weather and I can admire our pots of crocus, daffodils and hellebores through the French windows. Not that I’d imagined when we planted the pots last September that I would be lying on a sofa, legs up on a wedge, just having had surgery! Managed 2 walks today just under 20 minutes each time and am doing a few exercises, though not the full list the physio gave me - I’ve tried all of them and some are just too difficult at the moment. My gut feeling is that I’m more advanced in my recovery than I was at the same point after my TKR, and thanks to Bonesmart I’m not going to beat myself up over slow progress. It still surprises me every time I put weight on my knee how much it burns, so I’m not skimping on the painkillers or the ice. My husband has been a gem waiting on me - just hope I don’t wear him out! Looking forward to Thursday and having the staples out and to being able to plan some excursions.
 
You're wise to do what you're able, allowing your body to be your guide.
It sounds like you have a loving caregiver in hubby, Gwennie. You're blessed. My best advice is to make sure he gets time out / away for a breather so he doesn't get burned out on playing nursemaid. :wink: It doesn't have to be a lengthy time away, but I found it worked for me. I'd have hubs set me up so I had everything I might need within easy reach and then cut him loose for an hour or two. During that time I'd either try to nap, or I'd watch tv and catch up on BoneSmart.

It will be nice to have the staples removed on Thursday and look forward to the brighter days on the way! :SUNsmile:
Happy Saturday...I hope you have a nice weekend.
@Gwennie
 
Checking in to see how you are doing now that you are almost two weeks post-op, @Gwennie. I hope your pain is under control and that you are finding it a bit easier to move.

Give us an update when you have a moment. We are here for you.
:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @benne68 I’m doing well, from the day of the operation everything has come on faster and easier than after the TKR, which has been a pleasant surprise. I had back to back appointments on Thursday and saw the physio then the nurse to have the staples out. Both were impressed with my progress - I’m not using crutches now, and can walk short distances comfortably. My flexion needs a lot of work, but I’m not worried about that - some of the exercises seem to be getting a little easier, and the physio is not pushing hard for particular goals. I’ll see her again on the 19th and we’re hoping I’ll be ready to try the exercise bike.

I’m making great use of the ice machine, which I have until Wednesday. On Friday I finished the Nefopam tablets which the hospital gave me for pain relief as I can’t take NSAIDs - I was glad to see the back of them as they made me feel quite nauseous (I was also given a tablet for that). I am carrying on with paracetamol and occasional dihydrocodeine, but pain has been less bad than after TKR.

Sleeping can still be a bit problematic, but I’ve had some nights where I’ve managed 4-5 hour stretches which have been welcome. This morning I removed the dressing from Thursday, that felt good and will make showering feel easier. I went grocery shopping today with my husband - pushing the cart around made life easier. Looking forward to getting out in the garden to get on with the many jobs that need doing, it’s almost a relief that after a few lovely days it’s turned colder and greyer so I’m not tempted to over stretch myself!

All in all, I’m pleased I went ahead with the operation, and I’m hopeful that it will have worked to relieve the pain at the front of my knee so I can enjoy walking and going out on my e-bike again. Time will tell! Now back to the exercises …
 
Great news! Glad to read you are pleased you had the surgery. How wonderful that you are already out grocery shopping! I'm sure you will get back to riding and biking before you know it.
My flexion needs a lot of work, but I’m not worried about that - some of the exercises seem to be getting a little easier, and the physio is not pushing hard for particular goals.
You're right! The flexion will come with time and movement. No need to push. Keep icing to bring down the inflammation -- there will be plenty inside the knee, even if it's not visible on the outside. As that swelling goes down the flexion will improve.

Sounds like you are doing well. Please keep us posted!
 
Whoops - overdid it on Saturday - gazing out at the garden these past 3 weeks, I decided I really had to get outside and do some pruning and cutting back before growth got too advanced. If I had stopped at the 5 plants that did need urgent attention, I might have got away with it, but with the bit between my teeth ...Not too disastrous, but led to a more uncomfortable night on Saturday and yesterday still quite a lot of aches. Better today - did exercises and have had an hours's rest with ice and elevation. Will try a walk this afternoon, gradually extending the distance.
 
Just go very slow until you are back on track. It will be easy to overdo things again until your pain and swelling are gone.
 
I remember those days where you just wanted to get out and do a little something, and that little something turns into a little bit bigger something! It emotionally felt so good to be doing it, but was sorry afterward. It's a learning process, trial and error. You know your body and knee better than anyone else. Listening to them and 'obeying' them will be very beneficial to your healing. Taking a day or two off of those increased activites will help you snap back.
 
Uh oh, someone took a little trip through the ODIC (Over Did It Club) :wink:
Glad you knew what was needed and took time to rest for relief from the achy discomfort.
It's a new day and a new week, you're wise to mete out activity going forward.
Happy Monday! I hope you have a great week, Gwennie. :thumb: :)
@Gwennie
 
That “marathon not sprint” line is so real—progress sneaks up on you. I’d say just keep mixing in low-impact stuff like the bike, it’s way easier on the joints than trying to push walking every day.
 
Welcome to BoneSmart, @duckies.

Please give us the date of your surgery, which knee and what procedure you had done so we can create a signature for you.

I also encourage you to read about our two-level Membership Program and Guidelines for Posting. You are currently registered as a Basic Member, which is very limited in terms of forum participation. It’s meant primarily for members who choose only to research and read on specific topics.

If you would like to share your recovery journey and receive personalized advice from our staff, you should join our Insiders Club. As an Insider, you will be able to start your own threads, chat with other members and receive prompt answers to your questions or concerns. As a non-profit, we depend upon your small contribution to keep BoneSmart available.

Best Wishes, and we hope to see you join the Insiders Club, so we can support you in your joint replacement journey.
 
Hello and Happy One Month Anniversary!
Have you completely recovered yet from your ambitious gardening day? :wink:I hope so! It's certainly easy to overdo it when we're feeling good, or engaged in something we love. It's finally Spring...YAY! I hope you have some bright sunny days to enjoy your walks.
A great week to you, Gwennie! :flwrysmile:
@Gwennie
 
Thank you @Layla, all going well, and I did recover from the gardening! I saw the physio last Thursday and she was very pleased with my progress, a little concerned about some redness around my wound, so she asked the ward doctor to come and have a look - she did not think there was a problem, just reiterated warning signs to look out for and told me to phone if I had any concerns. I think it's just skin sensitivity - the wound looks be healing fine and there's no excessive heat in that area. Physio said I could drop the exercises and just concentrate on stationary bike 5-10 minute warm up then lower the seat to where I can't easily turn the pedals and then to do 2 sets of 10 rocking to increase the bend in my knee, repeat twice a day. Then to increase walking - I'd got to about 1 1/4 miles on the flat, so to increase length and to gradually include some slopes. Lovely that she refers back to my goals - to be able to get back on my e-bike, to be able to walk 3-4 miles comfortably and to be able to garden. Felt vey uplifted after our session, hubby drove me down to the harbour about 1/2 mile from the hospital and we had a lovely walk on the quayside, lunch at a favourite stop, and then more walking - just over 2 miles in total.

We've had some beautiful weather - until today, which is a bit grey with some cold wind. However, I will try to get out for a walk if the rain holds off. Knee is still a bit sore and tender, even after 4 weeks I am still tender where I had bruising. Pain relief paracetamol 4 times a day, occasional hydrocodeine at bedtime, icing mainly in the evening. So overall progress does seem to have been faster than after TKR and lighter on the pain relief. But it is difficult not to get inpatient to get back to normal and to see whether this last procedure has done the trick in restoring pain-free mobility. And of course, the garden keeps calling - we will have been in this new house for 2 years at the end of June, and there is quite a bit we still want to do outside.
 
You might find that icing more frequently will help to keep the pain and swelling down.

Boy, do I understand wanting to see if the surgery worked or not. Unfortunately, you have to heal from the surgery before you can do that!
 
Glad to read that you're doing well. It sounds like you had a great physio session last time you attended, followed by a lovely harbor walk and lunch. Outings like that make life feel normal again, and are a wonderful mood booster! You'll be feeling stronger and back outdoors tending to your garden in your newer home soon.
Enjoy your week, Gwennie, and thanks for taking the time to update!
@Gwennie
 
I had a practice walk up and down a nearby hill about 10 days ago, and then my hubby came with me last Sunday and we extended the walk right to the top of the hill coming back a different way. I was tired when we got back home - but he told me we'd covered 2.5 miles. Quite astonished I managed that just shy of 6 weeks from my surgery - and none of the front of knee cap pain I had been getting prior to surgery. I still have some pain, so still using ice and paracetamol. Sleep is getting better which is a relief. The only odd issue this week is how dry the skin on my operated leg has got. I moisturise both legs after showering, but skin has been quite flaky on the left leg, except where I massage Bio oil on and around the scar.

Friday I saw my OS for 6 week review. He was pleased with my progress. He confirmed that the original replacement knee looked fine, he had nothing to do there. He examined me on the couch and was satisfied with extension and bend, and like the look of the scar; then he pressed the side of my knee and remarked that when he did that when I first saw him I hit the ceiling - yes, funny, I remember that moment well! He was pleased I'm not using sticks and that my only pain relief is now paracetamol. He reiterated that it may take a year to fully recover, and I told him I was very pleased with what I can do so far. So that was that - he said he will touch base after a year as he likes to know how people are getting on.

Next Wednesday is physio. However, I've been skipping some of my homework, not always getting the daily walk and exercise bike every day, oops. This past week we've been doing so much in the garden - trying to plant new plants involves a lot of digging and getting rid of big stones, patches of cement, odd bits of builders' detritus, all heavy work. Then I'm too tired at the end of the day for a walk or the exercise bike. But it's important to get on with life, wouldn't you say?
 
But it's important to get on with life, wouldn't you say?
Definitely! All those things you do in daily life are just as good for your knee’s recovery. It’s what I like to call “natural” PT. To add in more “exercises” on those busy days would just be too much. You are recovering/rehabbing very wisely, which is proved by how far you were able to walk, and the fact that your doctor’s exam didn’t hurt you. Well done!
 
Wonderful update, Gwennie! That is some impressive walking at six weeks post op. :yay:
The only odd issue this week is how dry the skin on my operated leg has got. I moisturize both legs after showering, but skin has been quite flaky on the left leg, except where I massage Bio oil on and around the scar.
This sparked some curiosity and I did a little searching and found that during surgery small nerves can be cut or irritated changing how our skin functions leading to dryness, flaking and also the numbness and tingling sensations some experience. In addition swelling and healing tissue can affect blood flow in the area which can make the skin drier. I also read thick moisturizers such as creams may be most effective applied after showering on damp skin. Staying well hydrated can also help.

I'll bet it felt good to know the surgeon was impressed with your progress. We won't tell you haven't been doing your homework. What you're doing is working, so why change it...you're doing great!
Enjoy the week! :)
 
You’re doing amazing, well done. Yes gardening and chores = physio, you don’t need both. I cut the lawn today and pruned some shrubs. Unfortunately I’m at the state where I’m getting worse before my revision to TKR. I’m the reverse of you. Had Patellafemoral replacement and resurfacing last year and now need revisions. Left one will be done soon.
Keep on, you’re doing great.
 
Next Wednesday is physio. However, I've been skipping some of my homework, not always getting the daily walk and exercise bike every day, oops. This past week we've been doing so much in the garden - trying to plant new plants involves a lot of digging and getting rid of big stones, patches of cement, odd bits of builders' detritus, all heavy work. Then I'm too tired at the end of the day for a walk or the exercise bike.
Wow, you are doing wonderfully well! All this is PT, so adding more to this will only increase your pain and swelling. This natural PT, in my opinion, is much better for your knee's recovery than adding repetitive exercises.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom