Guest viewing is limited

TKR Spring in my step?

@Gwennie I moved your recent update to your recovery thread. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!

Let us know if you would like an updated title for your thread. :flwrysmile:
 
I hope your pre-op appointment goes well today and you're relaxed and calm. Best wishes, Gwennie!
If you're trying to manage pain without the anti-inflammatory meds, and your 30 minute walks are more problematic, wondering if breaking it up into two walks will make it easier on you?

Sorry to read about your husbands slip and fall. Thankfully he wasn't more seriously injured. I hope he heals well and receives a good report during your return visit on Tuesday.

Have a great rest of the day!
@Gwennie
 
You sure do have a busy life and absolutely no time to get bored! Please let us know how your pre-op visit goes. I agree with Jamie, don't cause your knee any added inflammation before your surgery. The surgeon takes out your joint, but not those soft tissues. You want those in good shape going in and not angry!
 
Pre-op assessment seemed go well, blood pressure good, should hear on Monday if there are any problems with blood tests. Husband got talking to a lady in the waiting room - she is due to have her surgery (hip replacement) with the same surgeon as me. She said this will be the fourth surgery with him and she could not speak highly enough about him. Physio was very nice - suggested keeping to simple quad strengthening exercises for pre-op. I shall follow his advice. Only surprising thing today is that this hospital does not hand out the pre-op drink I was given before TKR as they are not convinced they do much to help recovery. A friend was also given them before his by-pass surgery. I don't know whether it's worth buying them myself. Only thing I don't know is what anaesthetic I will have - I assumed it would be a spinal, but nurse said the surgeon may decide to go for a general. I see the surgeon for my consenting appointment in 4 weeks time.

If anyone is wondering, husband said he felt fine today, other than being a bit sore on his bottom. Thanks for all the kind thoughts and helpful advice.
 
Good to read that your pre-op went well, Gwennie, and best wishes for a good report re; bloodwork on Monday.
It's always encouraging to hear of other's trust in the surgeon you're using, definitely comforting and confidence building! I am sure the anesthesia that is decided upon will be what's safest and most appropriate for you. As far as the pre-op drink goes, I wouldn't do it on my own without asking the OS, or the anesthesia team...or just let it go.
Great news about hubby feeling better. Best wishes for his return visit on Tuesday. I hope you both have a peaceful, relaxing weekend!
@Gwennie
 
What a good report, both on your visits, and your husband's recovery after his slide down the stairs! It's good to hear that your PT is keeping it gentle on your Pre-op therapy. How are your hubby's scrapes and bruises?
 
Hubby doing well thank you - good that it is winter and he won't frightening people with the sight of those bruises - they will take some time to go down. Cuts seem to be OK- nurse wasn't able to find much skin to pull across, he must have ripped most of it off - so they'll take a while to heal. Fingers crossed they won't get infected. I'm inclined to leave the drinks - hard to know whether they made difference last time, although the hospital I had the TKR in were very enthusiastic about them.
 
I didn't realize he had torn skin. That can take a while to heal. I pray they heal without any problems.
I don't think the protein drinks would cause any problems, but to be on the safe side, you should call or message your doctor and inquire about them.
 
I hope hubby gives himself a little extra TLC right now and with proper care and patience his skin can heal.
Prayers for no infection. :prayer: Protein is great for rebuilding skin and tissue. :thumb:
Wishing you both a good week, Gwennie!
@Gwennie
 
A surprising phone call from the hospital today. When I went for my pre-op they took some blood for blood typing in case I would need a transfusion. It turns out I have some "funky antibodies" - had I had any pregnancies - no - or any previous blood transfusions - no (I think I would've been told after any operation). It's possible just to have these antibodies. Mine are anti E (or e) and K negative. The person was very upbeat - nothing to worry about, it just means another trip to the hospital the Friday before the Monday op so they can take another blood sample for the next door general hospital who will provide any blood if needed. It's got me wondering about previous operations I've had and just added to pre-op nerves. Anyone else come across this issue? Weather here has been wet and windy, so very little time outside lately. But knee was very sore after about 15 minutes walking between shops and about 40 mins in the supermarket. Reinforces my feeling I do need this operation! Three weeks to go...
 
The person was very upbeat - nothing to worry about,
Hopefully that put your mind at ease, Gwennie. Consider asking about it when you go on Monday, so you're clear and at peace about it. Sorry for the pain you're dealing with after activity. Only three weeks to go until the beginning of the end of the pain as you move toward a brighter future.
I hope you have a nice weekend!
 
I can tell you that the need for blood transfusions these days following joint replacement surgery is very slim. Of course the hospital plans for all contingencies, so they do prepare for this. But it is unlikely you will need blood so try not to worry. If you have specific blood requirements that aren’t the norm, it makes sense that the hospital would want to recheck you just prior to surgery to be sure they had immediate access to the correct blood supply should you need it. I’d feel confident that your medical team is doing a great job and making sure all contingencies are addressed.
 
Tomorrow is your day, Gwennie!
Please stop by with an update once you're feeling up to it. Will look forward to hearing from you.
All the best! :thumb:
@Gwennie
 
can tell you that the need for blood transfusions these days following joint replacement surgery is very slim. Of
Agree with @Jamie on this. When I had my PKR three and a half years ago, there was a national blood shortage and I was worried my surgery might be cancelled. My surgeon reassured me that it was very rare that they needed it for knee replacement.
 
All went well today. Lovely caring staff. Spinal anaesthetic much easier than on last occasion. OS said surgery went well, he’ll tell me more in the morning. Managed 2 supervised trips to the bathroom on the Zimmer frame. Nurses and physio impressed by strength of my quads and ease of moving my legs from the bed. My booking is for 2 nights, but OS said I maybe able to go home tomorrow. Physio set up a session with the Physiolab ice/compression machine - could not get much feel of the coldness through the bandages, but I was keen to have an idea of what it was like. I have one on loan at home until Wednesday of next week and can pay to keep it longer if I want. Feeling quite euphoric at the moment - pain not breaking through and probably a bit high from the cocktail administered this morning! On the healing side now! Thanks for all the support.
 
Yay, you made it through nicely! It sounds like you are doing quite well, just be sure to not overdo. I know you'll be tempted to do things since you're not feeling pain yet, but you don't want to more inflame and already inflamed knee.

Hopefully, you're doing well enough that you can do home today. That's always feels good!
 
Good news to read surgery is behind you now, Gwennie, and you're being watched over by a caring group of medical professionals.
Feeling quite euphoric at the moment - pain not breaking through and probably a bit high from the cocktail administered this morning!
I can relate to this...I felt the same! I do agree it's partially the drugs, but knowing surgery was in the rear view was enough to make me euphoric. :wink:
Glad you're doing well. Safe travels home if we don't hear from you before you land in your recovery nest.:)
Keep us posted!
 
So came home Tuesday evening- was a bit touch and go whether I’d stay a second night as my wound twice sprung leaks in the morning but nurse managed to stop the bleeding and did a complete re-dress of the wound. That did the trick. A couple of sessions with the physio, walking down the corridor and later corridor and up and down stairs. Knee does not seem to be swollen, so movement a lot easier. Not sure about the pain killers I’ve been given. I can’t take NSAIDs so the hospital has given me nefopam and paracetamol with codeine 30 mg if needed. The nefopam makes me feel quite nauseous - for which I’ve been given ondansetron. I wonder if I would be better off just with the codeine and paracetamol. I managed quite well with the TKR, tapering from 4 x30 mg of codeine to 1x 15mg 6 weeks post op and then just paracetamol from week 7. Sleeping has not been too bad - easier last night than Tuesday night, although I woke 3 times, I think I dropped off again quite quickly. Physio has given me a list of 7 exercises to complete 3-4 times a day. I did 2 of the exercises once yesterday- I think I’ll play this by ear, the sheet says they are for TKR whereas this op was patellar resurfacing. We had a walk outside yesterday and will go out again today, I’m getting up regularly for walks around the house. I see physio again a week from today, and have an appointment straight afterwards to have staples removed. I briefly saw the OS Tuesday morning, but again all he said was that the operation went well. I’ll see him next in April for 6 week follow up. It’s that funny time now - glad to be home, but nervous about whether I’ll end up doing too much or too little! Oh, our very sweet neighbour brought me some daffodils Tuesday evening and yesterday afternoon when he got home from work cut our grass (my job in this house).
 
It's wonderful news that you are back home and doing pretty well. I agree that letting your knee be your guide as far as those listed exercises go, it the best way to recovery. Doing too much too soon only causes setbacks. You don't want to do that. Slow and easy wins this recovery race!
 
It’s perfectly okay to experiment with your options for pain management and to go with what works for these early days. Don’t forget icing, though. The cold is great for pain and to keep swelling down. Be sure to elevate your leg (toes above the nose) when you ice for the best result. And ice for at least 45 minutes each time. You can actually use ice in this manner as much as you want (even at night when sleeping) as long as you keep a kitchen towel between your leg and the ice source to prevent skin damage.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom