THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim22, Glad you had a nice meal out. Not much longer with the raised loo seat either.
I am doing well. I'm not as sore this time. I'm sleeping well and resting. Just trying to be patient and not overdo things
Barbara
 
Hi Firebrand If you are working full time you will need all your energy for that and anyway 9pm is too late to go swimming. I think it's great that you can walk 30 minutes at a fast pace even if your batteries start to run out after that.i am 6 weeks tomorrow and get terrible muscle pain if I try to speed up so walking very slowly at the moment I also find that sitting for any length of time also leads to painful muscle ache and is worse when I first get up.

Footwear is a real issue as I am more or less living in trainers ( poor hubby still ties the laces ) so when you need to look half decent what do you wear ? I also need shoes that take insoles but feel so old in sensible none trainer type ones. It's so depressing

Is your mum ok now after her pacemaker change. My mum also has one but she has lost quite a bit of weight so its loose and will probably need changing soon. She is still in hospital having rehab before she can go back home.I think she is a long way off as she is not walking so well.My brother is good at taking his turn but he and his wife are going away on holiday for a month on 8th May.

We have just watched another episode of The Village and just when I thought things couldn't get any more depressing they just did ! I hope you have a good week at work and you continue to get stronger.

Regards Kim
 
Hi sharonslp Yes I have read the article and its good to know that it's normal to have energy drain up to 3months You are right about us still needing a siesta but when life picks up again sometimes its not possible To me its a feeling which is worse than fatigue when it comes on it feels almost like I am coming down with flu Happy days
 
Elosarabrab So glad you are doing well and it's less sore this time You must be pleased that you got the most painful hip done first.You are so right about not overdoing things I know that from bitter experience Take care
 
Kim22 just checking in-- sounds like you're adjusting here and there as necessary...family situation can drive you nuts, can't it. I hope for you that it will all work out well soon! :)
 
Hi Kim22, I agree with you that the energy drain feels like the onset of flu sometimes. It's very odd as I've only just realised over the last couple of weeks what it is that my body is telling me when I feel like that.

Yes, 9pm is too late for going swimming at the best of times isn't it? But I need to be doing something to build my activity levels. I weighed myself yesterday, and I've put on half a stone since I went in for my op. I wonder how much more titanium weighs than bone?:whistle:

I agree on the shoes - I have a range of shoes that I bought at various points hoping that a change of shoe would help my walking, and none of them really did the trick (of course!). But tying laces is still beyond me I'm afraid. What do you do if you are out without your husband and your laces come undone?!

Oh dear, I didn't realise that the pacemaker is affected by weight change. My mum's memory has been failing her over the past couple of years, and even though I arrange some things for her, she does quite a convincing job of sounding on the ball at times. But I have come to realise that she hasn't actually been doing a lot of the things that she says she has. My husband is determined that my two brothers need to step up to the mark a little more, especially when I am still recovering, but that can be easier said than done...
 
Firebrand That's a really good point and one I hadn't considered about what happens if the laces come undone whilst out without my husband That would be a bit of a problem. Can you imagine having to ask a stranger to tie them! So what kind of shoes are you wearing ? I wore Ugg boots on Saturday which were ok and very warm but probably not great for walking.

Do you find that the energy drain happens less frequently now and how do you cope when it occurs at work ? Are you still using a walking stick. I tried to take a short walk to the village this morning without one and by the time I got back I had groin ache on the operated side and for the first time knee pain on the other side.I now realise that I still need the stick when walking outside.

You have a lot on your plate with your mum, it will be a concern if her memory is failing and your brothers are reluctant to take their share of the load.Does she live close to you ? I really admire you as you are coping with a full time job, your 2 kids, your mum as well as recovering from a hip replacement.How is work going ?
 
I've been wearing a variety of slip-ons - most of which I can manage with the help of my long handled shoe horn. But look forward to being able to comfortably tie my shoe laces again...

When I first started back I noticed that the energy drain would kick in at 2pm, when I would get up and have a little walk and get a drink to get myself moving again and then again at around 6pm. I can now get to around 8-9pm before I completely come to a halt.

I'm still mostly on the walking stick. I can start off going down the road thinking I probably don't need it, and then after 10 mins find myself glad I have it (not least of all because it is a visual clue for others that I need a little space). I think it may be a while before I feel confident at going out without it.

I don't think the admiration is deserved! I just about scrape by doing the barest minimum I can get away with, at work, home, etc.

Don't be too disappointed if you find you can't part with the hated raised loo seat by the way, it took me to the 8 week mark to be able to get rid.
 
Six Week Post Surgery

I would say I am making slow progress.I still need a walking stick outside. I tried a short walk today without it and ended up with right sided groin pain and a new problem left sided knee pain I used to have a lot of right sided knee pain before my op which was actually worse than the hip pain but that has gone now.I still have a lot of muscle aches after walking and need lots of ibuprofen Gel to relieve them at bedtime. I am still doing the same exercises but have tried a straight leg raise which I can do a lot more easier than before my surgery. Pain relief consists of 1 gm Paracetamol 4 times a day but have restarted the Naproxen as I felt I needed more and under no circumstances would I go back on to Codeine.

I have tried lying on my operated side this afternoon for a short while and it seemed ok with a small pillow between my legs but the real test will be tonight. The energy drain is still a big deal it almost feels like flu symptons and I still have a lie down when I can.I am not sleeping too well at night anymore possibly because I no longer take the strong painkillers One bit of good news is that my Hb is back up to 12.6 from 9.6 after the op.so worth taking the iron tablets shame I don't feel on top of the world I suppose I am a little disappointed as I was under the impression that 6 weeks was usually a big milestone and I have spoken to a few people who said that by 6 weeks they felt so much better I realise that everyone is different and of course I have come a long way. I am looking forward to swimming on Wednesday and have found a local group that teaches Nordic Walking but I am no where near that yet as if I walk too fast I hurt later.
 
Firebrand My physio told me to keep the raised loo seat for about three month which makes going out a bit of a problem
 
Kim22 Isn't it nice to go out for an evening and enjoy yourself once again? We haven't done that yet but we did do some shopping and lunch out today. I do get tired out and like sharonslp said don't fight it. Sleep when you can, actually I'm enjoying laying around sleeping when I can, I have never done this before and all to soon it will be a memory. My first hip that I had surgery on is doing so well I forget about it and all my concentration goes to my last new hip. It's amazing how fast our bodies do recover and let us get on with life after something like this. Firebrand I agree, shoes do make the difference with how you feel when you walk so get yourself some good walking shoes even if they aren't for style. I did, I got some just before my last surgery in hopes to be able to use them soon. Now we are having some really nice weather and I am going to be putting those to use in the very near future.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Spring in my step
They're no-tie shoe laces. I don't know how these work tho. From Amazon (US I guess)
Firebrand Somebody, maybe Littlejem , bought, or was thinking of buying, an inflatable ring to put on "outside the home" toilet seats. Packs in your purse, I imagine!
Kim22 I would say you're makiing Kim's progress! Part of the mantra is that every hip is different, and you are only 6 weeks out! Let's get Poppet over here to encourage you! I think you are feeling post-op blues a little bit? I'll bet you actually do feel a whole lot better, but it's been so slow you haven't noticed? Maybe? :) keep on keepin' on! :) :)
 
But tying laces is still beyond me I'm afraid. What do you do if you are out without your husband and your laces come undone?!

Firebrand, are you trying to bend down to tie your shoes? My doctor recommended bringing the foot up to the opposite knee to tie your shoes. Bellaroma found she could tie hers that way after getting discouraged from not being able to do it by reaching down.
 
Kim22, I don't know why you would think your progress is slow? It's your progress, which goes at your pace, based on what has happened to your body. I'd hoped that at 6 weeks I would be able to do everything again, including getting rid of the raised loo seat, and was very upset to find that I couldn't actually manage without it - at that point. When I went back to work I really struggled with the seats there - until someone on here told me that their physio had said to keep your operated leg out straight, and push up (not out) with your 'good' leg when faced with that issue. I'm now nine weeks out and cope fine without - but struggle with other things still. Its all swings and roundabouts at this stage - phase two in our healing. Just keep reminding yourself how well you are doing to have got this far.
 
We have especially low toilets here in Australia.. So I use the disabled loos.. Not much better though.

If you feel more comfortable using a raised toilet seat keep doing it I say :)
 
Firebrand is right Kim22, this is your recovery and we do all do it differently and I'm expecting my second hip to be different from from my first. We all get told different things from our physio and OS!! I was told by my OS that I could stop using my toilet seat raiser at 6 weeks and I have to say I'd already stopped as I found it too tall and more of a hindrance than a help!! If you are happier with the aids then why not keep using them, make life easier for yourself, it makes sense. I'm still taking strong painkillers about 3 times a day and the naproxin for my other hip so that must help me. :)
 
To Firebrand, sandybeach, zauberflöte, Littlejem, Poppet, dede62 Thank you all for the information, tips and support.I will try some of those shoelaces from Amazon and try Firebrands advice on getting off lower seats When out and about. I feel much more positive today and yes you are all right we recover at our own unique way I have made good progress and grateful for it. I slept on my operated side for the first time last night and it was wonderful I fell asleep straight away but in the night I woke up on my back I am probably well programmed to back sleeping now.I have a very small soft pillow between my legs when on my side I tried a regular one but it was not so comfortable.
 
Glad you slept well on your side, even if you did turn in your sleep. I am having real trouble on my side, see we're all different!! It's good your feeling more positive today, I certainly still have 'bad' days when I even the smallest thing will set me off, it's allowed, we've been through a lot!!! :wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom