THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim, I'm sorry to hear of your Mum's fall and glad that there wasn't anything broken. Having just been in the hospital yourself, I'm sure you're probably taking on much more of a guardian role to make sure things are being done in her best interest.

I walked with a 1 walking stick for about 15 minutes but I had done 3 other shorter walks earlier in the day and stood talking to someone for a while afterwards I felt great at the time but haven't been as good since. I'm not sure if it's because I stopped the codeine, the stress of my mothers hospital admission or something else but I haven't felt as good since. Yesterday was a little better but today I am a it sore in the hip again. You are so right getting the pace right is difficult I am noticing that the muscles of my none operated leg get really sore inthe evening now mainly effecting the hamstrings

Kim, I think you've hit all of the triggers that are causing your discomfort. You're still quite early in the process and all of the things you mentioned are valid stressors that would affect most of us still in recovery (even if it were a bit down the road).

Sounds like you are thoroughly enjoying that grandson of yours! It won't be long and you'll be down on the floor and buzzing around the room with him with your hip recovery as a distant memory!
 
Hi dede62 yes indeed I am certainly taking a guardian role to ensure my mam is getting good care.

I came to the decision that I am walking at a too fast pace. This happens when I feel good and love walking normally but then I pay the price later so I will walk at a slower pace from now on. I know it sounds ridiculous and common sense should have told me as well as my experience I think I must be a slow learner.
 
Heel toe, heel toe, Kim.. You will get there, you are doing great :)
 
Hi Poppet I have just had a walk out but at a slower pace and with one stick.Do you think walking too fast at this stage would cause muscle aches ?
 
How did it feel going slower? I guess, it is just testing which works best for you.

I found that I was taking very tiny steps and my gait was all over the place and muscles aching, so hubby said, lengthen your stride if you can and voila, it worked.
 
Thanks Poppet For my next walk I will try a slow but longer stride
 
It is different for everyone and we all test our individual recovery boundaries to determine what works for each of us.. You will get there :)
 
Kim22 I am just getting caught up with what's going on in your life. I am so sorry about your mom. I have a mom that's 83, she lives close to me and I would be devastated if I got a call telling me that she had a bad fall. Recovery for you still needs to be your main concern....easier said than done but to help your mom you need to heal yourself. While your mom is in the hospital, she has the help of the staff there. Continue to ice and medicate when you feel pain, you don't want to find yourself going backwards. Take care and keep us posted as to how everything is going.
 
I came to the decision that I am walking at a too fast pace. This happens when I feel good and love walking normally but then I pay the price later so I will walk at a slower pace from now on. I know it sounds ridiculous and common sense should have told me as well as my experience I think I must be a slow learner.[/quote]


Kim22, you are not a slow learner...just anxious to get back all your independence...i also have overdone it over the last couple of days and feel some major muscle pain...trying to balance exercise without overdoing it is difficult...you want to prove to yourself that u are on track...u keep the fact that u r still in recovery way back in your mind...Hope that your mom is better soon....cut yourself some slack....take care...
 
Many thanks sandybeach and anniemg for your kind words and good wishes I am trying to rest as much as I can around visiting times and trying to find the balance between not doing enough and doing too much.I think it is inevitable that we have some muscle aches but how do you tell if its too much I guess we have to listen to our bodies and work it out for ourselves.I find this very difficult at the momen
 
Hi clifford149 I am trying to walk more slowly with a longer stride and also trying to make sure there is equal weight on both sides.Ihave had a busy day with a friends funeral this morning and visiting my mam in hospital this afternoon so no time for recreational walking today. We are going out for dinner this evening for the first time since my op asI have been too nervous about seat height and loo seats until now but only 2 more days of full restrictions left I was looking forward to sleeping on my side tomorrow night but I have been reading other people's threads and it seems that the experience is usually a bit of a let down
 
Hi. I was told to ease out of the precautions.....I am more cautious about sleeping still using a pillow....although sleeping on the non op side with a pillow works quite well.....I do my own shoe laces now and I find getting in and out of the car easier although I still enter and exit carefully but don't need to put the back of the seat in recline....also I have found low seats OK especially if they have arms....still use toilet raise.....
 
Elosarabrab Hi Barbara yes we had a nice meal just in the village and walked there and back without my stick and was fine It was nice to get out.I haven't tried to sleep on my side yet as I am not 6 weeks until tomorrow and I like to stick to the rules to the letter in case I push my luck Looking forward to having a swim next week and to be a little less worried about the height of chairs Its a shame that the last thing to go is the toilet seats I am sick of those minging things and it makes gong out a bit more tricky.How are you doing ?
 
Kim22 How's everything going with you? I hope your life has settled down a little. Did you have a good night out?
 
Thanks sandybeach I really enjoyed going out for a meal yesterday and it was good being able to walk there and back without a cane.We have just had a walk today and I concentrated on my gait with 1 stick and taking longer strides( as recommended by Poppet ) but at a slower pace. I am going to try swimming next week for the first time as the pool we use has gentle steps down into the water rather than a ladder to getting and out. So overall a little better but still get that sinking energy drain every afternoon I wonder how long that lasts.How are you doing ?
 
Hi Kim22. Sorry to hear about your mum. Mine developed a problem with her pacemaker recently and had to go in to get it replaced. Luckily one of my brothers drove to collect her from the hospital, as I was getting stressed at doing a long drive on my own in the evening.

I'm nine weeks out. I tend to set off when I walk at a fairly brisk pace, but my batteries run down after abut 30 mins, and when have been to the shops on the last couple of Saturdays I tend to be walking home at a snails pace. I've been experimenting with different shoes as that also seems to impact on my walk (pre-op I seem to have collected about 10 pairs of sensible shoes with cushioned heels to help reduce impact) and I find that some are better than others.

I can't manage to tie my own shoelaces yet though, so trainers are still out for me.

Apparently there is a pool about 30 mins drive from me that has accessible steps rather than a ladder, but adult swim time (rather than kids clubs) doesn't start until 9pm, and by 8pm I've usually had it for the day - so I don't know when I'll be able to do the swim (I've been back at work full time for the last fortnight, so don't get in until 5.30pm).
 
Kim, I found the energy drain continued for about three months for both my THRs. That's a pretty typical timeline. There's not much point in fighting it....the body makes sure you get enough rest, one way or another. Pretend you are living in one of those countries where an afternoon siesta is a given way of life. :)

Have you read this article from the library yet?
Energy drain for THRs

Sharon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom