Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Spinning over to the other side..June 2nd the day. Bilateral Baby!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lauren Spin Trainer Hi Lauren..... How are you doing? Just thought I'd check in. One week today! How is the nausea, any better? For me the first week to 10 days was the worst then things got remarkably better. I hope you are doing ok!
Mary
 
Hi Mary,
Thanks for checking in. Doing great! Had my first home PT session yesterday. I already surpassed the tests to LEAVE therapy on my intake tests. She was laughing and saying "are you sure you had your hips replaced?" Can climb the steps to get upstairs worn no problem. Slept in my bed last night. Wasn't as comfortable as the recliner but slept ok. Only complaint is the nausea from the pain meds. Went from midnight to 8:00am last night without amy pain meds. Pain was about a 4/5 but more the belly issues. Overall, I am thrilled with my progress. When/how did you scale back your pain meds? How are you feeling?
 
I'm glad you are doing so well @Lauren Spin Trainer !! I'm taking 5mg oxy 3 times a day, and Tylenol 2 times a day. No pain meds at night. I'm going to only take the oxy twice today and see how that goes. My pain is really minimal. Mostly just stiff and weak feeling. Left side is so much weaker than right side! I'm moving around the house a lot without the cane but I kind of lurch so I'm trying to make myself use it! I keep leaving it places though! The meds made me nauseous too... Esp the Tramadol. What are you taking?
 
I cut the Tramadol completely after the first week.... Then I went from oxy every 4 hours for a few days, then every 6 hours for a few days, now every eight hours, today I'll try every 12 hours
 
I am taking 1 oxycodon 5mg (with Tylenol 325 mg) every 4 hours. 2 aspirin for blood thinning and 1 zofran every 8 hours for nausea. They never had me take the tramadol post surgery. I have a bunch from pre-surgery. Walked to the bathroom without walker. OT was in this morning and said I don't need any since I am showering independently, and doing household chores with ease.
 
8 Days Post Op
Feeling more and more like myself everyday. Taking pain meds every 7 hours or so now and feeling fine about that. Having periods of activity (light house puttering, 1/2 mile walk today, going to watch my kids swim at the pool) followed by naps and icing. Seems to be a good balance for me.

Graduated to the cane yesterday. Feel so good with the cane. The walker was a pain. I found myself lifting it more than anything. PT checked my stability and balance and felt good about that move. I can manage the stairs to the upper level of my house with ease.

I have been sleeping in my bed with a pillow under my knees and I start the night out with ice packs. Sleeping just on my back is difficult so I try to prop myself with a pillow on either side to take the pressure off my lower back. I go to bed about 11:00pm, I sleep about 4 hours, then wake to go to the bathroom, and then have been sleeping until about 7:30am. I feel rested and didn't need a nap until about 4:00pm.

My nausea has abated for the most part. I imagine because I have reduced the frequency of my pain medication.

I am fortunate that I can do some of my work from home and was able to resume that about a week post op. Checking in by phone and email, etc. Just adding this tidbit for those trying to gauge their own recovery.

I am looking forward to my post op visit on June 17 to give my surgeon a great big hug!

I can't express enough how much the help that the members of this site has meant to me. I truly appreciate the kind words, the encouragement and information that you have shared with me!
 
@Lauren Spin Trainer Sounds like you are doing awesome! So glad to hear it! How does one leg feel compared to the other, so far? I feel like my right leg is stronger, but tighter. I'm working on walking without the cane, but I feel like I limp a bit without it... Dropping off to the left. Everyday it's better though!

Sleeping on your back is so hard! I'm now able to lie on my side but it feels uncomfortable after a little while.

Did you have anterior approach too? I'm surprised that it is no problem lying on my front... I can't sleep like that for long though. I never could!

Glad you are doing so well! My PT has me riding a stationary bike but no dancing for me yet!! Haha!
 
@Zumbamama

Hi Mary, Yes i had anterior as well. Sleeping on my back hurts my lower back a lot. I have been rolling to my sides some with a pillow between my legs. Can't lay there for long. But helps to change it up a bit. Haven't tried on my stomach yet. Didn't know if it was allowed.

Both legs seem to be pretty equal at this point. Perhaps a slight but weaker on my left.

Ready for the stationary bike!
 
Haven't tried on my stomach yet. Didn't know if it was allowed.
I would not try this until you clear it with your OS. It can be tricky shifting off this position - especially with 2 new hips.

Sounds like you are doing just great! Regarding reducing your meds, when you start to forget doses that's the sign you can begin to wean off.
 
Thanks @Jaycey. Yes, doing in my stomach is one of many questions I have for my surgeon. Swimming, bike, bath in the tub, scar massage are just a few.
 
Two weeks post-op today! ! I am happy to report that I am doing fabulously. I walked about three quarters of a mile tonight without a cane (with PT approval of course.)

I am following up periods of activity with periods of rest, elevating and icing.

I am able to sleep in my own bed; and sleep almost through the night without waking. My stamina is increasing every day.

I am taking about one percocet every 10 to 12 hours.

I get to go see the surgeon for my 2 week follow up appointment tomorrow. I'm excited to talk with him about how to continue my recovery. Driving, safely getting back to my exercise routine and sleeping on my belly my top questions!

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words of support and encouragement!
 
Great update @Lauren Spin Trainer ! The slow and steady approach to this recovery works every time! Please do update after your appointment with the surgeon. For someone who may be considering this surgery your progress is very encouraging!
 
Sorry for the delay in my update since my 2 week post-op appointment with my surgeon. I have been feeling so good, I have been able to be out and shopping and feeling like I can get back to a semi-normal life!

My appointment with my surgeon went great! He is truly amazed at my progress. My incisions healing nicely. Able to use Mederma and do some scar massage to help with the healing. My left side scar is about 4" and my right is about 4.5".

I am able to walk without a cane for the most part. When walking longer distances, or getting up and down a lot, I use the cane. I am able to do my exercises very well with no discomfort. I still ice and elevate at least 2 times daily. Feels so good. I can't encourage folks to keep icing after surgery.

I am taking Tramadol every 8 hours during the day and 1 Percocet just before bed. (I may try to use the Tramadol at night too soon.) I made the switch because my surgeon told me I can drive next week if I am not taking the narcotics during the day. PT tested my strength and reactions and thought I was ready. My husband will take me in a parking lot this weekend to make sure I feel comfortable before hitting the road. VERY excited to drive.

I have been doing some work on the computer at home, really ever since a few days after surgery. Popped in the office a few times just to say hi and to get a few things done. Mostly because I can't stay still and wanted to stay busy. I will go back to working a few hours a day next week. Will increase hours thereafter according to how I am feeling.

I will do PT 2x a week to start increasing my stamina and start to safely get back to my active lifestyle. I am anxious so start teaching my spin and other group fitness classes. Will listen to PT and surgeon when they say it is safe to do so. Trying to think of PT as my exercise, and that seems to be ok for now.

Putting around the house doing vacuuming, laundry, cooking, and other light housework is not only very doable, but quite enjoyable. I find that it really makes me feel like myself. And frankly, these things easier NOW than before surgery! YEAH!!

I spent 3 nights in a recliner after surgery and have been sleeping in my upstairs bed since then. (I was able to go up the 15 steps in my house after 1 day home.) The first few nights I woke once to go to the bathroom. Now, I sleep from about 10:30/11:00 until about 6:30/7:00 without waking. I got permission from the surgeon to sleep in any position, including on my belly. I still keep a big pillow under my knees when on my back and between my legs when I am on my side. I can comfortably change from one position to another.

I have been blessed to have my parents here for 2 weeks after my surgery. They leave tomorrow. My husband and girls will continue to help out more than usual for the next few weeks and months (and maybe forever!)

I also have been showered by friends and other family with meals, cards, visitors, text messages, emails, Facebook messages, messages from people at Bonesmart. It has helped immensely with my successful, and rapid recovery. My life has already been changed without having to deal with daily pain that came with everyday life. So happy to continue to get stronger and back to doing the things I love pain free!

I know that reading about other members and their experiences was very helpful to me in preparing myself for my surgery and recovery. So, I have tried to be as detailed as possible to help others who are at various points in their hip replacement journeys. But if I missed talking about anything, or if anyone has specific questions, please don't hesitate to post or message me. I would be happy to respond.
 
Great report, Lauren!!!! I'm so glad you are feeling so well! Being able to drive again is so freeing...... And you will be spinning again in no time!
 
Wow, great report! Isn't it a relief that things are coming along so well? I'm looking at PT as excercise right now and can't wait to start spinning. If he clears me, I might try a class in the next week or so.
 
@Michegon
I bet the year went super fast! I can't imagine how it will feel. I actually woke up this morning and forgot that I had surgeries!

@Gummy Bears
Relief is the exact right word. I am so looking forward to pain free spinning! Keep me posted is you get cleared for that.
 
It is a couple days past 3 week mark so I thought I would give an update.

Medication: I am completely off the Percocet. I am taking Tramadol 1x in the morning and 1 at bedtime. This seems to be working well for me. My hips feel "tired" more than painful if I go without anything. I feel myself going back to the habit of limping without any medication.

Conveyance: I started driving on Monday (20 days post surgery.) I am having no problems and feel very safe doing so.

Physical Therapy: I went to PT on Tuesday, and will go again today. Because of my background in fitness and exercise, it has been helpful to let me push enough, but not too much. The best part was getting on the exercise bike!! As my 11 year old would say, it was FABU (fabulous!) With a $40 per visit copay, however, I don't think I will be going too many more times.

Working: I am working part-time, and could probably do more but I am trying not to push it.

Physical Activity: I can walk 2 miles at time, went to the pool and swam 20 laps, and have even helped lead a group at church for vacation bible school all week for 2 hrs a night!

Fatigue/Continued Pampering: I make sure that all my activities are followed up by icing and reclining and putting my feet up and a nice nap! The fatigue sets in quickly and for once in my life, I give in to it and relax!! It has kinda been a treat.

Night Sleeping: I still sleep with a pillow under my knees or between my legs. I rotate between my back and both sides. I sleep very well on my left side. Still somewhat painful to stay on my right side for longer than a few minutes. I sleep from about 10:30/11:00pm until about 6:30/7:00 (ok, sometimes 8:00am.) Ahh. I love summer and the less hectic schedules.

Incisions: I am doing scar massage with a "Scar Fade" gel 2x a day. I guess that verdict is mixed on the efficacy of these things. I figure it can't hurt so why not. The L scar is about 4.5" and my R scar about 5". They are a little lumpy and a tender, but honestly, I look at them with pride and thankfulness. They are part of me now. I am happy for daily reminder that I am not in pain anymore, and not to take that gift for granted.

That's all for now! Have a great day everyone!
Lauren
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom