Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sounds

Congratulations major step forward!! It feels great getting back in the driving seat again and gaining that independence- just don't overdo!!
 
It does pay to take on one thing/activity at a time. When I'd go out to eat I always made sure I could prop my leg on another chair or booth bench. It allowed me to stay longer and not worry about swelling.
 
@Sarah Jane Thanks! It will be a blast as she thinks I am her age!! :happydance:

@KarriB Yes, you are right about taking on one activity at the time. However, tomorrow will be the REAL test as we drive down to ATL ( 2 hr drive) for the day. We'll visit my daughter and her family and go to our precious granddaughter's 5 yr old birthday at gymnastics THEN to Costco before coming home to the Mtns! I will take frozen gel pacs and plan to ice and elevate whenever possible, use the motorized carts at Costco and REST on Monday!
 
Have fun and you'll be ready for Monday! Try traveling in the backseat so you can keep your leg up.
 
Yesterday was great! I was pleasantly surprised that my knee cooperated all day! I remembered Josephine's mantra and sat whenever possible! Put my leg up on a chair and iced on the way home. I had to change my PT appt and went in at 10 this am. They were surprised at how well I was getting around given the 11 hr day trip yesterday!

My knee woke me up at 2 am shouting and angry! Buddy ( that's what I named my knee) said , "WHAT were you thinking? You totally ignored me most of the day? No elevating, no nap and not as much ice as normal! Now I am hot and tired and angry! " So, I got out of bed, took a pain pill, got the ice/gel pack, and wedge for elevating, went back to bed and VIOLA! Buddy slept 5 more hours! YES!!!

This afternoon, I went downstairs to my art studio and worked on a watercolor painting of leaves. THEN I walked upstairs like a "normal" person without even thinking about it! :yes!:

Happy 2 month / 8 week birthday to Buddy, my new knee!!!
 
You are so funny - my knee is named too but nothing as polite as Buddy - began with the letter B but rhymes with witch...., and boy does she whine and moan at me!! Glad to hear that all went well for you.
 
Buddy ( as I lovingly call my new knee) and I were up most of the night. Not sure what the issue was but just could not rest. No pain to speak of but very uncomfortable. Grrrrr! My head thinks I should be back to going nonstop but Buddy has his own agenda. Guess we will nap today to make up for lost sleep. I'm not normally a napper, so this is a huge concession for me. Patience, patience, patience... I know. :cry:
 
Buddy may be complaining if you were standing to bake/cook yesterday. Standing too long can aggravate and cause additional swelling. I know at 2 months it feels like you should be doing normal things easily, but a day of activity, usually calls for a day or two of rest. I was never a napper either, but did enjoy it while recuperating. Sometimes now I wish I could nap again. :yawn:
 
I know how you feel! I did kind of a lot yesterday and even this morning the back of my knee is a little bit grouchy. My husband wanted me to get out in the world with him again today, and I hated to disappoint him but I know the price I would pay would not be worth it. So I made homemade muffins and ground a cinnamon stick with the coffee beans (that equals special day in my home) and he knew I loved him. Now resting without guilt. Yay!
 
:groan:Oh! It just hit me!! I changed shoes yesterday and wore sandals all day. That could account for some of the restlessness. I've promised my DH homemade pizza tonite. He likes to "help", so that will be his treat today,
 
Do you have a stool? I often perched on a stool while chopping, mixing etc., and when I went back to 1st grade. Even though the leg isn't up, it does take the weight off it and allows you to do a bit more than just standing. You all are probably still experiencing hot weather, here in PA it's beginning to feel a bit like fall, thus my desire for pumpkin!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@KarriB .... Thanks for reminding me about the stool! I sat to chop and grate and it definitely helped. Pumpkin cake sounds yummy!
Yes, it is still hot here, but cool mornings. We still have air conditioning running.
Hoping that after resting today, next week will be even better.
@Slainte.... I have something in the back of my knee that pops... Must be swelling?
Yuumm.... Homemade muffins sound good... Apple Cinnamon??!! I love fall colors and flavors!
 
I know at 2 months it feels like you should be doing normal things easily, but a day of activity, usually calls for a day or two of rest.
At eight weeks or so, we feel that we have been in recovery long enough. I returned to the classroom at eight weeks and paid a pretty hefty price for it.

I was stiff and sore by mid-day and exhausted at the end of the day. Wed think that we have been in recovery for a long enough time, but we fail to realize that recovery can take six months to a year.

I rested, iced, and elevated every Sunday, all day, after church. That seemed to help somewhat.

The length of time it takes to recover is frustrating, but the end result is certainly worth it.
 
@Slainte.... I have something in the back of my knee that pops... Must be swelling?
Yuumm.... Homemade muffins sound good... Apple Cinnamon??!! I love fall colors and flavors!

The back of my knee bugs me because I did not stretch my hamstring before I walked around a bunch of stores. I will learn someday. Don't know about a popping feeling, though.

My muffins were an experiment to make something that I could freeze and eat for breakfast after my next TKR on Oct. 1. I pureed prunes with 3 eggs and added that to oatmeal muffins, along with banana and walnuts. Wanted protein and something to stave off constipation. Was pretty good, and very filling.
 
@Slainte, you've been in my thoughts today. It's not that long now until your second TKR. Glad to see you're making provisions for early days of your recovery. Sounds like a very healthy and nourishing batch of muffins there. You folks in the southeast are certainly making my mouth water!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom