Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

Great response to those "caring" individuals who just can't help but comment on things that are none of their business! I'm with the "wear the shorts anyway" group! It is very normal to have swelling with activity a year or more after surgery. This is especially true when a person has had as much work done on their knees as you have. When you find yourself getting frustrated at how long this is taking, try to remember back to how things were and how far you've come! You've made:thumb: WONDERFUL progress! And I think you're a lot more confident about it all now too....hence that great comeback you invented. You go girl!!!
 
I wear shorts all the time (I know, we men don't even care!) but I've had comments before that my right knee is larger than my left, and my left ankle is bigger than my right. I just tell them it keeps me balanced. :heehee:
 
I really would just like to wrap my legs up like a mummy so no one can see them but that defeats the purpose of wearing shorts all together I suppose. Guess I'll just wear the shorts when I get too hot and try to ignore people who comment.

I don't really have anyone to tell this.. but I had a kind of big milestone today. I was able to walk from one end of the mall (my office) to the post office which is almost at the other end of the mall... without a cane. I did still carry it with me. But... that's a pretty big deal for me. I still stare at my feet constantly and I still walk with a little bit of a limp and I have to concentrate a great deal to not go back to full on limping... but it's a pretty big deal for me!
 
That's a great accomplishment! Don't worry about watching your feet. It's better to be safe than sorry.
 
I don't really have anyone to tell this.. but I had a kind of big milestone today.
We love hearing about these kinds of milestones because we so understand! You did great! :egypdance:
 
@sondrals.....we love that you wanted to share this latest milestone with your fellow BoneSmarties! It IS a big deal, even though people who haven't had a joint replaced might not completely understand why. But we do! Congratulations for the first of many more milestones to come.
 
Last summer I went down stairs foot over foot without thinking about it. When I realized what I accomplished I lost a tear or two. Such a little thing, such a big deal!
 
I had two surgeries on my right knee when I was young, in high school! Big scar! Did I wear shorts? Hell yes! Did some people comment, of course...
Now with my new scar on my LTKR, man, I love it, it means I can walk again and very soon have a better quality of life!! Be proud of your scars, it means you did something to make life better! (And really, are they that bad?)
 
I mowed the lawn today!! For the first time in over two years. I’m probably going to hate myself later for having done the back part on the hill... but I did it. Now to rest my knees
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Sondrals’ Revision
    276B3BC7-7C5B-42E5-ABD9-8B89A409DEB3.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 193
That's wonderful, Sondra! :yes!::loveshwr::yay:

It's so good to hear of all the progress you're making now. Thank you for letting us know.
 
@sondrals I just finished reading about your journey. Wow! What an emotional roller coaster you have been on. You are amazing — you never gave up and you really took control of your recovery. I am so glad that you are walking better. Your most recent post almost brought tears to my eyes. Please continue to update us.
 
Way to go, girl!!! Sometimes a little discomfort is worth it to know that you really are getting back to normal. Just remember if you angered your knee a little to take things easy for a while until things settle back down. I'm so happy for you and your yard looks beautiful.
 
Go Girl - well done you!!! Finally you are getting to enjoy the benefits of your hard long recovery, just be sure to rest or stop if it hurts.
Get those shorts out girl - love your scars they are proof we have done something to enrichen our lives, tanned legs always look nicer xxx
 
Just wanted to post a little update. I'm able to walk more and more without a cane. Sometimes it's more of a "I don't trust people" thing than a needed thing now. I think the only time I REALLY need it is first thing in the morning when attempting to stumble to the bathroom to pee without opening my eyes. I walk around all day at work without it, and now most the time at home without it, me and my dog are trying to come to an agreement that she will not trip me, but she's a tough negotiator and we haven't totally resolved that. I still have to "remember" not to limp sometimes, which sounds absolutely ridiculous, but it's true.

I've been mowing the lawn almost weekly, sometimes I do it all in one shebang, sometimes I split the front/back into different days, sometimes I just do the flat and have help with the hill. I do it all cane-less. I do prefer to "have" my cane outside on uneven surfaces, I guess because I'm more scared of tripping and falling, but I don't super need it.

I take the cane with me when I go shopping but hang it on the cart and go about my business. I think Costco was the only place I feel really tired/sore afterwards. I think it's the combo of concrete floors/giant store but I do end up using my cane sometimes in there. That and the cart can end up SO heavy.

Had the joy of going through a metal detector (had jury duty), and yes, my knees set it off. Wasn't a huge deal they just made me lift my pant leg and show them my scars. (because you wouldn't have a scar if you were secretly harboring a bomb inside your leg???)

I'm still aware of my knees, I do sometimes... forget... but they both semi-sore still, if that makes any sense? I have a lot of problems with my left achilles tendon and the back of my leg, it's SO tight, I think because they straightened it so much, but it is getting better. My right still pops, and annoys me, but I guess I'm getting used to it? Or maybe it's doing it less.
 
That is a great update Sondra, glad to see you are doing so well:yes!: I can totally relate to the metal detector, it happened to me at the airport, I took my knee passport but like you they wanted proof, thank God I wore baggy trousers :heehee: keep up the good work, occasionally remember to rest and elevate xxx
 
What a wonderful update, Sondra! :yes!::dancy: :yay:

It's really great to read that you're doing so well.

You've had a long journey, but it all seems to be paying off now.

Fantastic!!!!!
 
So just shy of a year out from the revision on my left leg.. I had a follow up with the surgeon a couple weeks ago, he is so pleased with himself! :rotfl: Mainly because I made a point of walking in without a cane and honestly I think the last physical therapist I went to in person maybe had told him I'd never walk without one.

I've mostly transitioned to not even taking my cane with me the majority of the time, though I have to admit, I still like having it with me. And honestly... that's only happened THIS week, and because I made a point to do it. I think the only time I took it in with me was when I went to Costco last weekend. Though I just hung it on the cart and went along my merry way. I'm still very nervous about ice and snow and winter is coming, so not sure if I'll go back to at least having it with me or what. Also tile floors freak me out and it just so happens the entire building I work in is tile floors. I'm always scouting for wet spots and slippery areas. I probably look like a crazy woman darting here and there to avoid potential slippery spots.

I sometimes have little panic attacks in public when I realize I'm out there... without a cane... like with no protection. I think it's a combo of that and the covid situation. I like the cane because it seemed to keep people away from me more. Though twirling it through the air as I walked was probably more the reason than people actually respecting my space. :snork:

I still feel my knees, I was trying to explain it to someone the other day, I can't really say the hurt hurt, my knees themselves almost never hurt, the muscles around my kness and even up into my hip, get sore, and sometimes really sore, and sometimes tight AND sore. But mostly a little rest fixes it, though standing in one spot is still like some form of midevil torture to me.

It's over two years since I started this journey, and while I can't say 100% that I'd do it again or it was worth it, at least the possibility of me saying that is back again.
 
I love the vision of you going down the hall twirling your cane. :old:
Glad you are doing well, and yes use the cane in the winter, so many slippery areas to snag you.
As winter progresses, as you are getting used to all the challenging surfaces you may find, you may not need the cane all the time.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom