Knee Infection* So Much Pain (WhyMePlease)

I’m so sorry you had that accident with the soup and got such a big burn. Wow! Be patient with yourself as you heal from this new injury.

Had to interrupt the PT that I was going to, but will start that up when I can move around better.
Take your time getting back to it. Your knee really just needs basic daily movements to heal well.
 
This resulted in a second-degree burn
This seems to be going around.

I am also on a PICC line and week before last, while eating a slide of homemade pizza, fresh from the oven and still bubbling, managed to flip the plate off the edge of the table and have it land upside down on my bare thigh, the non-surgical leg, same as you. My blisters didn't over nearly as much area as yours though.

All healed now. If you can protect the blisters, delay their rupture, and keep them from getting infected, they heal very quickly. Good luck.
Thanks for the sympathetic words. Glad yours healed fairly quickly.
 
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to read of your burn injury, WhyMePlease. WFD's also!
You're certainly not an idiot, it was an accident and an unfortunate one at that since you're already recovering from major surgery. Give yourself grace and lots of TLC and feel better soon! :console2:
@WhyMePlease
 
That burn sounds awful! And this, just because you were trying to help. I pray both of your legs heal completely and that your burn eases up.
 
I'm so sorry to hear this happened. You are doing an amazing job of recovery considering the revision and also being a caretaker for your wife while she recovered. I've lifted some boiling water off the stove few times (pasta) to dump it in the sink and I'm still not 100% sure of myself. I probably shouldn't be doing it - but that's different than what happened to you which was simply an accident that can happen to any of us!

You should get an Ironman athlete medal honestly. :wow:
 
I'm so sorry to hear this happened. You are doing an amazing job of recovery considering the revision and also being a caretaker for your wife while she recovered. I've lifted some boiling water off the stove few times (pasta) to dump it in the sink and I'm still not 100% sure of myself. I probably shouldn't be doing it - but that's different than what happened to you which was simply an accident that can happen to any of us!

You should get an Ironman athlete medal honestly. :wow:
You are too kind, but thanks a lot.
 
How are you doing @WhyMePlease ? I hope the burn is feeling better!
Thanks for asking. I am doing a little better. I saw the actual wound care people today and a nurse peeled away a lot of the dead skin, dressed the burn much more professionally than the home care people have been doing, specified a little different type of topical medicine and laid out some instructions she will give them to reduce the dressing change to only two or three times a week. She said it was actually a combination of first, second, and third-degree burns — perhaps because it was soup not just water. I’ll see her again in two weeks.

The burn has been painful, I think, partly because the bandage moves around as I move around and it rubs on the wound. With a sturdier dressing, I think I will have a little bit less pain while it heals. Meantime my knee is also getting a little bit better although I need to get back to walking and standing more as I begin to tolerate standing on the burned leg. I hope they continue the IV antibiotics in my PICC line for a couple more weeks, as it would probably benefit the burn as well.

This was a most unwelcome addition to my knee problems, but I’m sure it will pass eventually. I will, however, remember 2024 as not a very good year for me.
 
You have a wonderful attitude dealing with this added challenge of an awful burn. I pray for the healing of both of these. I can understand how painful walking would be with moving that burned leg. But, don't worry about your new knee, it will be fine. While you are resting because of your burn, your knee is actually healing, too, and that's good!
 
Thankfully you're doing a little better. I am happy to read you received more detailed care from the wound specialist today. I hope you obtain relief from the pain soon. Lots of comfort to you. :console2:
@WhyMePlease
 
Hi there,
It's been two months since your revision and we're wondering how you're doing?
We haven't heard from you in awhile and we'd love to support you as you're healing from your revision.
Hope to hear from you soon...have a pleasant weekend! :SUNsmile:
@WhyMePlease
 
6-Month Update

Sorry for taking so long to respond here.

It’s been about six months since my first TKR and about two months since my revision (total removal and replacement) of that replacement due to infection. And, it’s been about four weeks since I burned my leg accidentally. The best news is that my burn is completely healed, and doesn’t cause me any pain at all. There will be some sort of a scar but at my age who cares. The new knee is doing much better than the first replacement at this same interval. There is only a little swelling in my calf and knee, no redness at all, and hardly any extra warmth. So, I am hoping that there is no infection present. Unfortunately, I do get some very significant pain still, particularly late in the evening and upon waking up. Admittedly, contributing to that pain is some serious arthritis pain in both shoulders back and both hips, again, especially in the late evening and early morning. I am still taking low strength oxy (5 mg) 3-4 times a day. I get absolutely no sense of a high from this, but greatly appreciate the reduction in pain for a few hours. Most likely my doctor may not keep this up much longer. I’m just hoping his judgment and my needs will coincide.

I was on an IV antibiotic for about six weeks, but it has now ended, and I am taking an oral antibiotic (cefuroxime) twice a day. One not so funny thing is that somewhere around the beginning of the time I started taking this antibiotic I started to develop and now have three trigger-fingers and one more acting up. these are very painful and very strange since I had about six or so other fingers released from trigger-finger many, many years ago. I wonder if anybody has any idea whether this oral antibiotic might cause a propensity to develop swelling finger joints, and/or trigger-fingers?

Once again, I would like to thank those on this board, both staff and members, for being supportive and informative during my recovery.
 
Hi there, WMP:wave:
Thankfully the burn has healed. Sorry you're dealing with the pain of arthritis in your back, hips and shoulders.
Odd and interesting about the trigger fingers. Hopefully you get an answer on that and remain infection free. :prayer:
Wishing you only the best and a big thank you for sharing your journey with us. Stay in touch! :)
@WhyMePlease
 
I'm really happy to read your update and that your burn has healed and your knee is continuing to improve. That was A LOT of surgery for you and other complicating factors with your other joints - it is very tough. Hopefully as you continue to improve, some of that other arthritis pain will ease off. I wonder if those other joints could be treated with something....like steroid shots? I really have NO idea, but I hope your health team can find something to help you with it.

I hope you keep posting updates!
 
I'm really happy to read your update and that your burn has healed and your knee is continuing to improve. That was A LOT of surgery for you and other complicating factors with your other joints - it is very tough. Hopefully as you continue to improve, some of that other arthritis pain will ease off. I wonder if those other joints could be treated with something....like steroid shots? I really have NO idea, but I hope your health team can find something to help you with it.

I hope you keep posting updates!
Thanks so much. I have had many cortisone shots over the years, and found them to be quite effective for a period of time. My surgeon wanted me to hold off on more shots until my knee was fully healed. So I have scheduled a pain block shot in my lower back for a few weeks from now. Hoping that will help some. I’m also going to see if the doctor who prescribed the antibiotic would agree that I can terminate the oral medicine after these several weeks, just in case that is adding to my joint pain.

Overall, for someone who will be 80 in a few weeks, I have to say that my health is reasonably good. It’s just that my problems with arthritis in joints have truly cut into some of the retirement activities I might have hoped to do. Fortunately, for me, and for my wife, we are mostly homebodies, and I personally get great enjoyment, as a former computer programmer, from just fussing around with several computer-related hobbies, as well as gardening, bonsai, reading, and music.

Take care and thanks for your concern.
 
Wow! What you’ve gone through! I hope everything will go well from now on and soon you’ll enjoy the new knee.

I got trigger finger years ago when we were driving a truck long distances. I wondered if it was because I’d quit taking all the supplements that I usually take. Just simple things…magnesium and multivitamins…plus I wasn’t eating as many fruits and veggies. After I paid more attention to diet and getting plenty of fluids, it eventually went away.
 
We baked you a cake a few weeks early in case you're not around here on your 80th. :wink:
May your next trip around the sun be a good one! @WhyMePlease

1728824108969.png
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom