Knee Infection* So Much Pain (WhyMePlease)

Well, I think I’m in the 13th week. About a week ago, another blood test showed that one of the two inflammation indicators came down, but the other one went up. My PA assured me that this is fairly normal in that one of the two indicators tends to lag behind the other. Apparently, he thinks the infection is nearly gone after about 10 days of antibiotic. Unfortunately, he hasn’t said anything to me about where we go from here. Also, unfortunately, every day at a couple of times of day after some usage of the knee it starts to get quite painful and I still rely on about one 5mg oxy every eight hours to keep me able to walk around at all. I still have to use a cane or a walker for walking more than a few steps. Somehow, this doesn’t seem right to me at three months following surgery. Perhaps my recovery was in fact delayed by some kind of infection that is now reduced or gone. But, I can’t help wondering whether there is still something going on. My knee does get quite warm sometimes, and I still ice it. Also the muscles and tendons above it and below it about halfway up each bone are still somewhat sore and tender to the touch. But otherwise it looks good. I guess I have to just guts it out and see where this goes. Maybe I’m just expecting too much.
 
My knee does get quite warm sometimes, and I still ice it.
Regarding warmth -
The increased blood flow to the area results in the warmth, swelling and redness often experienced. As the healing process progresses, the warmth, swelling and redness dissipate. The warmth can take 6 months or longer to resolve.

Continue to remind yourself that we all heal at different rates for varying reasons and you're only three months into what is a year long recovery for many. Happy Sunday! I hope you have a good week!
 
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble after surgery. Both of my knees were very bad before surgery and I had been hardly able to walk for awhile - so my muscles are like jelly no doubt. I had a lot of aches and pains with hands, shoulders and all that and was using the walker for at least 6 weeks. I still need a cane at 6.5 months out - partly because my other knee is still bad (surgery on it in Sept.).

I also agree it's worth asking your doctor about tramadol as a step down med. There is an extended release version also. I think doctors have more flexibility prescribing it - but I can't say for sure.

I was someone who found the ice machine or icing to be unhelpful - and kind of painful - after awhile. I'm very sensitive to cold and it was winter when I had my surgery which didn't help. My surgeon says he doesn't recommend it except for short periods of time early on. I think it personally made me feel worse - made my knee stiffer and harder to bend. It's an easy thing to try easing off on or take a break with or do less.

You could ask your doctor if a support hose would help? I went back to work at 12 weeks and found I had to wear one and still do - or my leg swells a bit and doesn't feel very good. It feels much better when I wear one. But ask the doctor about it for your case.
 
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble after surgery. Both of my knees were very bad before surgery and I had been hardly able to walk for awhile - so my muscles are like jelly no doubt. I had a lot of aches and pains with hands, shoulders and all that and was using the walker for at least 6 weeks. I still need a cane at 6.5 months out - partly because my other knee is still bad (surgery on it in Sept.).

I also agree it's worth asking your doctor about tramadol as a step down med. There is an extended release version also. I think doctors have more flexibility prescribing it - but I can't say for sure.

I was someone who found the ice machine or icing to be unhelpful - and kind of painful - after awhile. I'm very sensitive to cold and it was winter when I had my surgery which didn't help. My surgeon says he doesn't recommend it except for short periods of time early on. I think it personally made me feel worse - made my knee stiffer and harder to bend. It's an easy thing to try easing off on or take a break with or do less.

You could ask your doctor if a support hose would help? I went back to work at 12 weeks and found I had to wear one and still do - or my leg swells a bit and doesn't feel very good. It feels much better when I wear one. But ask the doctor about it for your case.
Thank you for your encouragement and your helpful comments. It is eye-opening to see that there are quite a few people who have significant issues some time out, just as I do. For one thing, maybe the doctors should have warned me a little bit more about what I was getting into before the surgery.

What a shame that icing didn’t seem to help you. As you say, maybe having it be winter time was a factor. I think it does help me some because my knee still gets quite warm, especially by the end of the day and somehow the cold relieves the discomfort a bit. It seems a little strange that my day starts with a lot of pain in my knee and also ends that way, while it can be more comfortable during the day.

I will definitely look into the support hose because although I am retired, I would like to be able to stand and walk for longer periods of time than I currently can and do.

Good luck with your continued recovery. And, congratulations on being brave enough to do the second knee as well.
 
another blood test showed that one of the two inflammation indicators came down, but the other one went up. My PA assured me that this is fairly normal in that one of the two indicators tends to lag behind the other.
That may well be true- but as someone who had an episode of infection a few months after my PKR- I think I would push for further tests to be sure the infection has cleared with the 10 day antibiotics course.
My knee did stay a bit warm for months after my surgery- so that isn't a reliable indicator.
I would want to see both the C reactive protein and the ESR coming down to give total reassurance that any infection was cleared.
 
I will definitely look into the support hose because although I am retired, I would like to be able to stand and walk for longer periods of time than I currently can and do.
I have an office job and am sitting most of the day - or I wouldn't be able to do it because of my left knee that still needs surgery. My step count is very low still. (It was higher at one point but my left knee has gotten much worse.)

I think you're around 3 months in and at that point I had just gone back to work full time. I hadn't started wearing the support stocking yet (I only figured that out around week 14 or after - for you if you do have an infection it might not be a good idea yet). It was also hard to sit in an office chair still! I'm also younger than you - but I work with someone a couple years older than you and she runs circles around me!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope the week has gone well so far and I wish you a great Thursday and weekend!
Thanks for sharing updates with us all.
@WhyMePlease
 
It has actually been a rough couple of weeks. Early last week, my wife had to go to the ER with a gallbladder attack. Long story short, she was in the hospital for a week and finally had the stone and the gallbladder removed in separate procedures. She came home the day before her 80th birthday this week, so now, we have a situation like the halt leading the blind. I try to help her, and she tries to help me. She has trouble standing up and sitting down, and I have trouble with that and walking any distance. What a pair! Between the two of us, we have four walkers and two canes – one walker each for each floor of our two-story house. In about three weeks, we are having a chairlift installed, so that might help a lot. I know there are other people who have it a lot worse, so I’m really not looking for a gush of sympathy. Just thought it was interesting but sad timing for us. One bright spot is that our medical plan gives her a delivered meal benefit for several weeks, which will help us with cooking. Plus, we have three adult children nearby who always stand ready to help.

As for my knee, I wrote my surgeon and he has scheduled me for an appointment next Monday and says he will try to get me better.
 
So sorry you are having such a tough time.
Troubles never seem to come singly do they?
Glad you have supportive children nearby and the meal plan sounds good.
Hope things improve.
 
Aww, so sorry for all you and your wife are going through. :console2:
I'll bet the chairlift will make things so much easier for both of you. Thankfully you have your adult children near by to spend time with and lend a hand when you need it. The older I get the happier I am to know my adult children are very close by. Best Wishes for your appointment on Monday!
@WhyMePlease
 
Aww, so sorry for all you and your wife are going through. :console2:
I'll bet the chairlift will make things so much easier for both of you. Thankfully you have your adult children near by to spend time with and lend a hand when you need it. The older I get the happier I am to know my adult children are very close by. Best Wishes for your appointment on Monday!
@WhyMePlease
Thank you so much. We both know we are very lucky to have three grown children, all attentive and loving to their parents and each other. It makes up so much for the occasional bum twists in your life.
 
I thought I would give an update on my TKR at about 10 weeks. A couple of weeks ago, a blood test was done, which still came back with high inflammatory indicators, and my surgeon decided to take a sample of synovial fluid from the knee. That produced a cloudy liquid, and after a couple days a positive test for bacteria. It was not a bacteria that my surgeon or anyone was used to seeing in the knee and that was confusing to everyone.

While my doctor was going back-and-forth with an infectious disease specialist, someone in the hospital became informed of the gram positive test and called me up on a Saturday night and said I should immediately come into the ER. I did so, and was admitted to the hospital as an in-patient. There followed a couple of days of tests, 2 more vials of synovial fluid, and more deliberation. My doctor spent a lot of time explaining things to me as I lay in the hospital bed, and I eventually we agreed that he would have to go in and do a revision surgery. We decided that he would try to simply remove the plastic parts and clean things out unless the metal parts would come out easily.

After 2 days, on August 5th, there followed a three hour operation, after which my doctor told me he found that the joint was a “mess“, including a bit of damaged bone which had to be removed. He was forced to remove everything, including the metal parts which the bone had now fused with as per plan, and do a total revision, removing all the parts by sort of digging and sawing them out. Then after cleaning and bathing everything with antibiotic, he inserted new components, this time with a glue which was infused with antibiotic.

Even with the general anesthetic, I woke up as I was being wheeled out of the operating room and for about 20 minutes I experienced pain at about a 12 on a scale of 10. I never had so much pain in my life. It took that long for them to find the anesthesiologist who was going to give me a pain block shot in the thigh , which helps limit the pain a lot for a couple of days. Perhaps partly because of that delay, I spent the next two days in the hospital, trying to stabilize my pain level and at least get up to walk around a little and climb about three steps.

Then, before releasing me, they installed a PICC line in my arm so that I can have antibiotics administered at home for the next six weeks. Also, as does anyone with revision surgery, I now have to start the whole healing process all over again, but this time with a knee and a leg which seem more swollen and have more pain than the first time around. At least they have prescribed a 10 mg oxy instead of a 5 mg for a while. I hope to get to a point where my wife and I can administer the infusion for the next six weeks by ourselves, so we will only have to undergo the repetitive PT visits at home and in the hospital as time goes on.

As I said before, we are at least enjoying a Medicare benefit of many home delivered meals over the next few weeks due to my wife’s recent one week stay in the hospital for gallbladder surgery. This makes cooking much less of a problem. Also, in a about a week, we will have that stair lift installed for our two-story house, and that should also help a lot.

Thanks for helping me out with your encouragement and empathy. I know that there are other folks who have had the same kind of a problem, and I guess it’s just the luck or the draw for all of us. We can’t all have a smooth and rapid recovery from this type of an operation.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for your update.

Nobody goes into joint replacement expecting to develop an infection. I'm glad they summoned you to the ER and addressed things with both ortho and infectious disease!

You're by no means alone on this side journey, other members have faced this. I applaud the grace with which you accept the situation. We will be here for you.
 
I am so sorry you are having so much pain and have an infection.
At least it seems to have been picked up fairly early on and you are on full antibiotics as well as the surgical treatment.
We are all rooting for you. Hope things settle soon with the PIC line
 
I am saddened for all you've been through. It has to be distressing, yet you remain optimistic.
Please report back on the stairlift. It should be a valuable asset for the independence it will afford you, along with the safety factor. Wishing you a pleasant, peaceful weekend and a smooth recovery.
Stay in touch, we're here for support always.
@WhyMePlease
 
Well, it’s been almost 5 weeks since my revision surgery. Recovery from that was going fairly well, but seemed a little slower than the first go round. I have a PICC line in place, and my wife and I administer an antibiotic infusion every day. Home healthcare people come once a week or more to change the PICC dressing, draw blood and take vital signs. Still a lot of pain before bedtime and upon waking up, but my provider continues to supply me with 10 mg oxy, which I take a few times a day but have been trying to taper off somewhat. The chairlift was installed several weeks ago and it has been an unqualified success. I have used it every time up and down the stairs so far, and my wife uses it occasionally when she’s either really tired or carrying something heavy. It was expensive, but I think worth every penny for us at this time.

But, all of a sudden, WHAM! The fates delivered an unwelcome blow to my recovery. I had been trying to do my part in preparing meals and carried a pot of boiling soup to the dining room table for lunch a few days ago. When I set it down on the table, the serving spoon tipped the pan over and extremely hot soup poured all over my left bare thigh, wearing shorts. That is not the TKR leg, but the other one. As you can imagine, the pain was excruciating, but I was lucky I didn’t get it right in my lap. This resulted in a second-degree burn about 8“ x 13“ covering a lot of my upper and mid thigh. I bandaged it as best I could hoping that my appointment with the surgeon two days afterward would allow me to appeal to the surgeon and his staff to apply a better dressing and perhaps refer me to wound care without going to the ER or urgent care. The surgeon kindly did have his PA dress it up nicely and referred me to the wound care department, but unfortunately, they said they wouldn’t be able to see me for about five days! I phoned the doctor’s office and asked them to see about maybe including burn dressing on the duties of the homecare people who are already visiting my house every few days. They did just that and I’m now expecting the homecare folks to visit later this afternoon with their first change in dressing.

What an idiot I am! I certainly could’ve gone along much better if I hadn’t done this to myself, but I guess accidents do happen. (I’m not sure I’ll ever eat soup again.) My pain level is now about double and it almost feels like I’ve had two knee surgeries and am in recovery. I guess it’s a good thing I’m already on IV antibiotics since that may minimize the chance the burn can get infected.



So that’s where I am now. Had to interrupt the PT that I was going to, but will start that up when I can move around better. All in all, this has been one pretty rotten year for me. Maybe next year will be better.
 
This resulted in a second-degree burn
This seems to be going around.

I am also on a PICC line and week before last, while eating a slide of homemade pizza, fresh from the oven and still bubbling, managed to flip the plate off the edge of the table and have it land upside down on my bare thigh, the non-surgical leg, same as you. My blisters didn't cover nearly as much area as yours though.

All healed now. If you can protect the blisters, delay their rupture, and keep them from getting infected, they heal very quickly. Good luck.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom