TKR So grateful to have found this community

Hi @Relle,
I'm just back form my consultant appointment. He says my knee is fine and that i'm doing really well, he doesnt need to see me until January next year ! He did ask when i wanted my other knee replacing, i said i would think about it and get back to him ! He said doing the MUA was, for me, the best thing as some people just have problems that won't resolve on their own. I'm glad i didn't have to "wait and see" as the fact that i couldn't bend my knee enough to get in my car or even get in the shower normally was, just like you, getting me down. NO amount of physio was going to get my knee to bend any more. He says MUA's are pretty unusual for him, he does about 200 TKR's a year and in the last 5 years he has only had to do 4 ! BUT, he said that sometimes, for some people, they are just necessary.
I asked him about the pain i still have and the sleeplessness and swelling. The swelling will go, eventually (i realised this anyway), the pain is from the brutal operations i have had and the sleeplessness will improve. I did tell him that i have been using pillows under my leg in bed at night to try to reduce the swelling, i got a right telling off :) NO PILLOWS ALLOWED he said, although they make your leg feel better, they cause the back of your knee to tighten up, causing even more pain, so from tonight, flat it will be !
I feel much better after seeing him, i feel as though i can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. I was absolutely petrified on the day of my MUA, i have had several other surgical procedures and a C Section so i'm not a wuss when it comes to hospitals but i can't explain why i was so scared. The feeling of sheer elation when i woke up and could bend my knee was just the best feeling ever ! It makes you feel so much better, i'm sure it will help you a lot, don't be scared, it will be the (re) start of your recovery i'm sure.
 
Depression is such a hard thing to go through, but it's only temporary. Before you know it, you'll be looking at a better knee and a better emotional state!

NO PILLOWS ALLOWED he said, although they make your leg feel better, they cause the back of your knee to tighten up, causing even more pain,
Elevation is very important. It allows the fluid to get to your kidneys and expelled. Keeping your knee straight will be painful and will not relieve swelling. Your OS is incorrect. If you are up and walking, then those muscles will not tighten up. It's not like the only thing you're doing is elevating, you are also living your life and using your knee.
 
@sistersinhim
I'm not going to use the pillows again as i agree with the consultant. I have more pain during the night and on waking when i've used the pillows than i do without. I will still elevate and ice during the day, i also walk as often as i can. It's case of moderation i suppose.
 
@Relle
I forgot to mention in my earlier post, one week exactly after my MUA, i went to a concert at Manchester Arena with my daughter. It involved a taxi ride to the train station, an hours train journey, a 3 and a half hour concert (quite a lot of it standing up !) and another hour long car journey home ! I booked the tickets last year as a Xmas gift for my daughter as i thought i would be OK by March, if i hadn't had the MUA, i wouldn't have been able to go.
The next day was very painful, but i did it ! I really didn't want to go but i didn't want to let my daughter down, i was so pleased i made the effort, we really enjoyed it.
 
I did tell him that i have been using pillows under my leg in bed at night to try to reduce the swelling, i got a right telling off :) NO PILLOWS ALLOWED he said, although they make your leg feel better, they cause the back of your knee to tighten up, causing even more pain, so from tonight, flat it will be !
He was quite right if he was thinking about just one pillow under the knee.

However, it's perfectly safe and does not cause those problems if you use a pillow stack as we recommend, like this:
[Bonesmart.org] So grateful to have found this community
 
I did tell him that i have been using pillows under my leg in bed at night to try to reduce the swelling, i got a right telling off :) NO PILLOWS ALLOWED he said, although they make your leg feel better, they cause the back of your knee to tighten up, causing even more pain, so from tonight, flat it will be !
He was quite right if he was thinking about just one pillow under the knee.

However, it's perfectly safe and does not cause those problems if you use a pillow stack as we recommend, like this:
[Bonesmart.org] So grateful to have found this community

I’ve been using a pillow stack but have found that my knee stiffens too much during the night as it is slightly bent.
 
As always I am blown away by the support given by you lovely people. Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your advice and relate your personal experience . It gives me hope and courage to keep moving forward.
 
At the risk of derailing Relle's thread, I wasn't elevating overnight after the first few weeks. And it is normal to get stiff overnight while you're recovering.

I'm glad you have brought the cane back out, @Relle. It will help you slow down and be careful. I did a couple of near trips and such when I started to get overconfident and was going too fast.
 
@hopalong61 i have felt so much better after reading about your journey. Before I had my op I had read about people who had made quite big goals for 6 weeks post op. Also that you need these goals to help move forward with recovery. So I suppose I had unrealistic expectations from the beginning. I honestly thought that going to a wedding 6 weeks post op would be a piece of cake. I also thought I would be able to do most things with the aid of pain killers Eric. I certainly had a big wake up call and wished I'd found Bonesmart pre op. I feel in a better place mentally this morning because of what you and my other friends (I really do think of you all as friends now) have taken the time to share with me. I have a 3 days now to be kind to myself before I go in for my MUA and I am looking at it as a new beginning.
 
Hi Relle,
I had an MUA 8 weeks after my TKR as my knee wouldn't bend. I was worried silly about it, more so than the actual knee replacement. It worked for me, i can now bend my knee and am back at work and driving again. However it has set me back and i still have a lot of pain and swelling, it was 7 weeks ago. I think for you, it will help a lot as once you can bend your knee and do more "normal" things again, you start to see the finish line ! I'm off to see my consultant this afternoon, even though i still struggle to sleep all night and still have to take painkillers and ice as often as i can, i feel as though i am on my way to a good result. I hope you will be too, the feeling of bending your knee after the MUA is wonderful :)
What is MUA?
 
Going in tomorrow for a MUA. Will be in overnight and most of Tuesday hooked up to a knee bending machine (sorry don't know the correct name). looking forward to getting it behind me. Hopefully from then on will be able to gradually increase what I can do. I have read quite a few members journeys on BS and know it doesn't always give the expected result but will have to deal with that if and when it happens. Trying to stay positive with an anxious mind.
 
Don't be misled into exercising madly after the MUA. Your knee will be wounded again and all it needs is to be kept moving gently.
 
@Celle I won't be doing anything to compromise any advancement I hope to get from the MUA. I know that I have overdone it in the past and will be careful more from now on. After talking with my OS last week I'm sure he will let me go at my own pace. The PT may be a different story, he is more old school. Not that he has forced me too much in the past but I think he believes in a more aggressive approach.
 
@Relle Hi, i hope the MUA goes ok for you, i'll be thinking of you. After my MUA i was on the CPM machine within about an hour of the op. I was on it for about an hour, then out of bed, then back on it twice again. I was in overnight (thick snow was falling so they decided to let me stay !) and was absolutely amazed when i walked out of hospital next day without a stiff leg ! I admit i was awake most of the night doing heel slides, i was worried that if i went to sleep i'd wake up with no bend again ! Anyone watching me get in my sons car to go home would have thought i'd won millions on the lottery i was so happy ! My consultant and physio advised aggressive physio too, i did everything they advised, but gave myself time off when i felt i needed it, the secret is to listen to your body.
Hoping you're ok and back home soon xx
 
@hopalong61 i have just read your post and it was really appreciated. I am on my bed, legs elivated waiting to go to hospital. I have been feeling sick in the stomach this morning with nerves but you have lifted my spirits.
I was sitting up at 2 this morning with an ice pack thinking how I would be feeling if I hadn't decided to go ahead and give this a go. I don't think I could have managed, my pain hasn't reduced and my movement has deteriorated and although I haven only done basic daily activities, iced, elevated and rested for 10 days there has been no improvement.
Looking forward to posting more positive messages from now on.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom