TKR So grateful to have found this community

@Mutti3 OS appointment is next Thursday. Thanks for your thoughts. I really do appreciate the support I have received from the members of Bonesmart. Still getting used to talking to people who live so far away but are going through or have gone through similar experiences. Hate to imagine how I would be getting on without it.
 
Still getting used to talking to people who live so far away but are going through or have gone through similar experiences.
Isn't this the coolest thing! I have heard the statement that 'misery loves company', but Bonesmart is much more than that. Someone is always here, no matter what time you log on. Knowing that people completely understand what we are going through means more than words can express. We try to tell our loved ones, but they just don't get it. Bonesmart posters do!
 
I'm a bit excited today, off to pick up a seated exercise bike this morning. Hoping this can give me another way of helping with my recovery. Has anyone advice on how to start using it, I don't want to push myself too far.

This afternoon I am going back to the GP for a revision of my pain meds. I'm scared he is going to want me to cut down. Managing pain through the day is ok, sitting about a 3 but night time for some reason can jump to a 7 or 8 leaving me just managing to cope. I know there is concern about addiction but surely if it is needed it is not addiction. I'm certainly not getting a high off using them.

I’ll be curious to hear what your dr says about the pain meds as I had the same concerns. Called my dr and didn’t get a return call so started using some leftover Volteren. Now I have no appetite whatsoever. I hope you get a better response from your dr.
 
Have to love rediscovering solitaire at 2am.
It is amazing what happens at 2 am! There is 24 hours in a day, a baby knee is truly like a baby, requires care and nurturing!
 
Don't know what I was thinking expecting to be ok to attend a wedding. I thought I was well prepared but now know I was being unrealistic. Managed to stick it out until half way through dinner but had to give our apologies and come home. Lesson learnt the hard way again. Will be cancelling attending more events in the next few weeks. Another lesson learnt the hard way.
 
Don't know what I was thinking expecting to be ok to attend a wedding.

@Relle Don't beat yourself up. We all become members of the ODC (overdo it club) at some point in our recoveries. And you had the good sense to come home halfway through dinner - good for you!
 
At least you learned from it and did no permanent damage!
 
Good! You're learning to listen to your knee. You'll know when it's ready to go back to PT.
 
@Wilsomasan my GP was great when I went back for more pain meds. He told me that he had attended a TKR and knew how painful it can be. He gave me a script to last for a month so I didn't have to keep going back to see him unnecessarily. I think it helps that he has been looking after me for over 10 years and knows I'm not the sort of person to abuse the medication. The worst part for me is I still have people (some that don't even really know me) telling me that I shouldn't be still taking pain meds and giving me advice when none of the have had the same operation.
 
Don't you just 'love' how all these non-tkr people know so much about our recovery?! Don't listen to them or let them upset you. You are doing fine without any 'help' from these people. Great that your GP is so understanding and gave you enough meds for a month. You are blessed!
 
@Wilsomasan my GP was great when I went back for more pain meds. He told me that he had attended a TKR and knew how painful it can be. He gave me a script to last for a month so I didn't have to keep going back to see him unnecessarily. I think it helps that he has been looking after me for over 10 years and knows I'm not the sort of person to abuse the medication. The worst part for me is I still have people (some that don't even really know me) telling me that I shouldn't be still taking pain meds and giving me advice when none of the have had the same operation.

Glad to hear it. I just got some more pain meds today. I’m pretty stiff and sore though. I hear you about people thinking we should be off meds. So wrong.
 
@mlwreader i think that maybe for me 6 weeks post op tomorrow I'm finally starting to toughen up. Not letting the remarks of I'll informed people get to me as much. I have found this whole recovery process hard both physically and emotionally. Luckily I get great support and understanding here.
 
Very hard physically and mentally to recovery from knee replacement, you don’t need to start to toughen up. You are already tough! I just laughed off Ill informed remarks. People don’t know what they are talking about if the never experienced a knee replacement.
 
I had way too much unasked for advice from people, some I hardly knew.

I would love a t shirt that says “if I want your advice I’ll ask for it!

And I’d wear it bowling, too! :rotfl:
 
I've decided to limit my time out in public for a little while. Really feel better at home where I can look after myself and keep out of trouble. Found a jigsaw app today which I'm enjoying. Don't have to worry about people knocking it over and disturbing the pieces
 
I stayed home a lot too.

And I love jigsaw puzzles! I can’t do real ones on a table because of arthritis in my neck and spine, so I’ve come to love the online ones. When I used to be on Facebook I had one there that I especially liked. I was using a computer then that had a big screen. Now I only use my little phone but I’ve been happy with the little puzzles designed for the phones.
 
Maybe it's life in the south, but the reaction I get from friends and strangers who find out I've had a TKR is along the line of, "Bless your heart! I know that must be terrible. You are doing so well and that scar looks so good. You take it easy and make people take care of you." One lady at the grocery store offered to shop for me while I sat up front on a bench, but I hobbled along on my own. Life is good in south Alabama.
:flwrysmile:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom