TKR so glad that is over !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Mrs Cricklewood I thought I'd come and visit you!! Surprising how quick the flight was! I'm also trying to walk about the house without aids but am mindful to walk tall, try to bend the knee, (heel then toe- physio's instructions) and not waddle (slowly)! However, first thing in the morning I need my stick and also often during the evening.

I have found putting my leg on the second stair and trying to gently push into it at 90%ish angle (or what you can manage comfortably) has helped as has the bike, but i'm only a learner on that yet and am building up to any distance. I'm only managing a few minutes at the moment but I can feel it is helping with the bend but still working on trying to get the old leg straight without too much success.

Thanks for your wonderful support.
Big hugs
 
hi thanks speedy2 I am not allowed on a bike yet by my physio but I am starting to bend my knee more using your suggestion..thanks ! I just found out our local recreation centre has a heated pool so I am going to see if I can go there a couple of times a week to do some water exercises and walking..6 weeks tomorrow since my op ! woo hoo ! bye for now ! :flwrysmile:
 
I can definitely say that at six weeks I wouldn't have been able to have got on the bike. It has only really been the last couple of weeks that this has been possible (i'm 10 weeks now - not that i'm counting!!!!)

My son has come to visit for a couple of days with a friend who is from Australia -Byron Bay- they think it's hysterical that I have found this forum and am in contact with so many sole mates - or should that be Knee mates!

I hope you find the heated pool good for your knee.

Big hugs x (^ - ^)
 
hi speedy2 guess what ..back in the late 70's early 80's I used to love in Bangalow NSW not far from Bryon Bay ! This forum has been a life saver for me too!
 
Small world. :friends:

Have a Kneeeasy day today Mrs. Cricket and Speedy :flwrysmile:
 
well I hope I don't pay the price tomorrow, but I had the most productive day since my op today..it is 6 weeks today and I cleaned out the bird baths and washed all my dogs blankets and made some soup..In between I did a few gentle stretches !! . I am now lying on the bed with my leg elevated and iced and I have to admit it feels divine but I am just happy that I was able to do what I did today..it has made me feel that yes maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel.. Could this be the shape of things to come ! I hope so ! I am not planning on doing a hell of alot tomorrow as I don't want to overdo it , and then I have physio and a session in the heated pool on Wednesday... * feeling good! * :)

It is 11pm here so goodnight everyone..sweet dreams XXX
 
Normal life is coming and it is time to celebrate.:dancy: You are smart to take it easy today Soon you will be able to string those activities together and add to them.
 
Yes Mrs Cricklewood, you have had a glimpse of what the future holds -good isn't it?:yay: I have been busy looking after my son and friends, cooking and washing etc the last couple of days (they've just gone) and although exhausted and knee a bit sore, so glad I have been able to do it!

I'm also taking it easy now (now beds are stripped!) and have leg elevated and iced.

Enjoy your heated pool session:flwrysmile:
 
mrs cricklewood I have always said housework is bad for your health. See, you proved it -- that dreaded vacuum! Seriously, I'm so sorry you are hurting and I hope you feel better. I haven't tried anything as brave as vacuuming yet.

How is your beautiful furbaby doing? Any more cute pictures? I'm trying to figure out how to post some of Harold.

Peace and love to you.
 
Hi Mrs Cricklewood ... From one Australian to another, I just thought I would say 'hi'. My LTKR is this Thursday 17 October 2013. Getting a bit nervous now.
What part of Australia are you in? I am in Queensland.
Hope your recovery is going well and you are having more good days than bad ones.
Ellen
 
Hi Butterfly and NetballKnees thanks for that..today I drove the car ..I felt like I was on top of the world..we have a manual and I didn't know how I would go, but I did fine ! ...I wouldn't want to jump in and drive for miles and miles but it is such a step in the right direction..and I would not have even attempted it this time last week.. I am in rural Western Australia . trust me no one could have been more scared than me before my op...I was losing sleep, having nightmares, freaking out and imagining me waking up half way through the op..I was so paranoid about the dreaded knee bending machine everyone was telling me about and wondering how much pain I would be in ( I am a wuss !) but now I can honestly say it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I imagined it would be..sure I have had teary meltdowns and got so fed up with doing nothing, and yes there was the pain especially when I over did it ( ruddy vacuum! ) but now I feel like there really is a light at the end of the tunnel ! Here a couple of pics of my boy Winston ..yesterday diving into the dam and one today of him watching me eat some chocolate..I felt so guilty but I couldn't give him any ! Hope you both are having a great day . love Mrs C XXX
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] so glad that is over !
    003X.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 194
  • [Bonesmart.org] so glad that is over !
    002X.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 197
that should have said freaking out.. not very out ! I just can't seem to edit my posts !
 
Hey Mrs C ... glad you had a good day today. I hope the good days grow and grow. xo
 
mrs cricklewood Wonderful pix! I know that look -- it is the "how can you bear to deprive me of some of that wonderful thing you are eating, after all the good and loyal years I've given you???" look. It is very expressive! Love the diving into the water one, too. Harold would love that. I have to figure out how to get some pictures of my doggies that I can post.


Harold has a very expressive look he gives me if I have been somewhere and petted other doggies -- it is the "How COULD you pet other doggies!! You've been unfaithful and my heart is BROKEN!" look.

Can't wait till I can drive again -- maybe a couple days before my next surgery, then I'll be back housebound. Mine is an automatic, but is it a little car and not sure I could even get in it without violating a zillion post op restrictions. Don't much like depending on others for everything (including transportation), but I'm stuck with it right now.

Glad you are doing better. I am the Great Chickenheart and was positively TERRIFIED before my surgery. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, thank God.

Peace and love to you and Winston! He is a beauty and he looks like such a happy boy!
 
Found your thread! I had posted right after your surgery and forgot!! LOL Nice to meet you AGAIN Mrs. Cricklewood! :) Joan
 
hello again there !:heehee: I had another physio session today..my physio measured my knee bend before we started 55 ! That is woeful ! After half an hour he measured me again and it was 65 ! Then I had a session in the heated pool and did my stretching and bending and walking exercises. there was only one other lady in there and guess what..she had had a knee replacement so of course we compared notes...she has to have her other knee done in Jan ..I told her about this forum and she was going to check it out ! Then when I got home there was a message on the answering machine from the hospital about my MUA ! Wondering where all my paperwork is..I will tell you where it is..still in my bag cos I aint going to have it ! HELP !!!! Come on knee...BEND !!!!! :headbang:
 
Hello Mrs C., Sorry to hear that you're having difficulty achieving your bend. I'm glad you've put your foot down on the MUA till when and IF you feel it's necessary. I have a question for you. When you bend your knee where does it hurt the most? With my first knee (which seems to be stuck on stupid. lol It's doing okay, but I now know that I pushed it too hard in the beginning) I use to have pain in the stitch area, which I later learned was scar tissue. Now in addition to that, I now feel a pull under my thigh in the hamstring that's limiting my movement.

My point is (FINALLY... Hydrocodone-Head :rolleyes: ) maybe you have tight muscles as well, that may be inhibiting your movement. I know for years I hadn't stretching properly because of my knee pain. So, I've been doing quad and hamstring stretches to aid in flexibility. Maybe this would be helpful to you. Like we say with school emails "use it, lose it." I'm putting my 2 cents in... just got my short term disability check... I'm rich! :rotfl:
 
hi Bionic woman2 thanks for that ..I am grateful for all the helps and tips and suggestion I can get. :puppysmooze: . Funny you would say that because my physio actually showed me a few stretches I can do plus suggested I put a heat pack or hot water bottle on the top of my leg to loosen that up as well ! Where it hurts is weird to explain..sometimes it is I feel like my knee is so tight it is going to explode..sometimes it is the top of my scar..similar to what you described. The hospital phoned up today and said my surgeon said if I could get to around 90% bend in the next 4 weeks they were happy to cancel my MUA..that got me thinking...what if even though I am going to do my darndest to get my knee to 90% by then..what if I can't !! Just something else for me to worry over..............:hairpulling:
 
We are behind you all the way! When was your TKR ?
When I first began rehab I pushed and pushed to get that bend even tho I was in tearful pain. I overdid it!! I guess what I am trying to say is be firm but gentle with yourself. Bless you!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom