Guest viewing is limited

TKR So exhausted - is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MY OS encourages his patients to take a minimum of 12 weeks off. Some can return to work earlier - I returned at 8 weeks after the first one 2 years ago and was exhausted for a few weeks and I iced at work. This time around I am out of work and am currently 11 weeks post op. I can't tell you how happy I am to have the time to recuperate properly and not have to rush to work.

My advice would be to stop PT or go for a good stretch once in awhile, otherwise do what you can on your own and ice and elevate while you are at work whenever and as often as you can. If you can't tolerate 2 pain pills, take 1 and take them every 2-3 hours. Pain manifests itself in many ways and what you think may not be pain actually is pain and taking a pill will make you feel 100% better. I feel pretty good at 11 weeks but I have the energy drain, the sleep issues, and the slightly depressed issues - I also have the time to heal and look for work.

You will figure out a way and your knee will come around - let your knee be your guide and you will be back to your old self before you know it.

Best of luck.
 
...and I can assure you I have never worked this hard at anything physical.
And therein lies the problem. Healing cannot be hastened by working hard, only by working smart. Conversely, overdoing physical stress on the knee can and does slow, stop or even reverse recovery.
Here in the US, this is a profitable surgery. I expect that is why the pain and suffering are downplayed.
Hmmm. America is a litigious country, and anyone telling you that you can go back to work after 2 weeks is so far wide of the mark that I'm surprised they haven't been sued.
 
I'm surprised that pain and suffering was downplayed.

I got to tell you, my surgeon, made a point of telling me I was going to be in pain, how difficult the surgery is, how difficult rehab is, what can go wrong (infection, blood-clots).

Even this time around, with it being my 2nd knee. We had this whole discussion again. He made sure to tell me that no two knees are the same. This knee may be "easier" (wrong word, but Icouldn't think of a better one) or more difficult.

I know quite a few ladies who have had knee replacements and none of them were back to work in 4 weeks.
 
My surgeons office also did not tell the real story of how long and incapacitating mentally and physically this recovery really is. I think if they told the real story, people would go straight for the office exit!!

I think they tell you these 'back to work in 4 week' stories to calm us and not panic us. Yes, there are a SMALL number of folks that actually do go back to work at 4 weeks. There was one such lady in the hospital with me who was having her second knee done. She went back to work 21 days after her first TKR!! Unfortunately, my surgeon held her up to the rest of us as the norm!!

QUITE the contrary, but it made us who were there getting ready for our surgeries optimistic, and calmed our nerves! Then the REAL recovery kicked in for us.

The real recovery process for the MAJORITY of us takes time, is painful at times, uncomfortable for most of the rest of the time, and takes patience, patience, patience. Ad in a PT who is clueless how to rehab a TKR, and thinks he is fitness training instead, and it is no wonder we wonder if our recoveries are 'normal' when we aren't up and healed in 4 weeks!!

Please take it easy..remember, you really have been injured in the surgery process. They have to injure us to fix us, so to speak.

A swollen knee will not bend or cooperate, will tell us in no uncertain terms ( swelling, pain, stiffness) and frustrate the bejeepers out of us all. But, with time and gentle treatment, it WILL get better. Just maybe not in OUR timeframe, but it's own.
 
People, can we please ease up on this poor chap now? Lecturing him isn't going to turn the clock back so we need to start from where he IS not where we think he should be. I made that mistake in post #86 and regret it hugely. I just hope we can now all get back to the caring, supportive place we know BoneSmart to be.
 
Brian6u,

OK Brian.....here's the deal. Your overthinking this......overworrying this......and overdoing everything. Relax.......it's done. It's over and you will EVENTUALLY have a very functional and mostly painfree knee. But not right away. In TIME!!!!!!!! Just go through each day doing what you CAN do and don't push. You cannot change the progress your body dictates. I did everything and questioned everything you are doing (times 10) Just ask everyone on here that I bugged constantly about everything. In the end........all my concerns were unfounded and the one thing that is responsible for almost all the healing finally kicked in......Time. I am now at two years and don't pay any attention to my knees. Once in a while they flair up.....but that could be just old age. So, as you said in an earlier post........and as a fellow Floridian...."Enjoy the sunshine." Your knee will be fine on it's own. :thumb:
 
Something that might help is lymphatic massage.
My PT practiced lymphatic massage as one of her advanced skills. It does take special training; those PT's that practice natural healing in addition to the standard PT are most likely to have this modality.

It is a way of draining excess fluid from around the knee. Plus, it is very relaxing!
I went from a total skeptic to a believer in lymphatic massage after a couple of sessions.

Wishing you the best!
 
Wonderful news, Brian! I'm just a little more than a week ahead of you, and I can honestly say that I've just now begun to feel a bit human! Time really does help........worrying only makes it worse! Keep up the good work, and soon we will be enjoying our painfree NORMAL knees! I'm sure looking forward to that day!
 
Oh Brian....everything you said was exactly me..I was soooooo depressed and thought I would never come out of it without medication...BUT I DID.. This is your new normal for awhile... This too shall pass..Hang in and like an addict--- one day at a time...Keep taking you pain meds.. that's how I made it..actually I see take pain meds but I also have back problems too... it's all worth it...That gnawing pain is gone...This is the best place to be.. people are so nice here..They helped me so much...sending hugs
 
Finally feel like I might be getting better.​
:yay:
Morning Brian! Great news, days like that just brill! Delighted to hear pain was less too.:dancy:

Now I'm jealous I'd love to try a bike, but I'd be too scared! :bicycle2: I do have an electric bike, but I'm a while away from using it! Might see if I can borrow a friends exercise bike for a while.

Hope you're able to do some of your important work too without discomfort. Keep up the steady improvement, one day at a time! Hxx
 
Five week update: 115 degrees of flex. Pain decreasing by the day...feeling clearer headed. Still tired by about 3:30...but getting more done. It's a long, arduous uphill climb. Just want to be better...
 
I'm one of the ones who is regaining energy quite slowly too, but it is returning. I am in the middle of week 11, I believe. Right now, I am able to go out for maybe 2 hours and do an errand or two followed by rest. Yesterday though, I simply sat here..no book, no TV, no nap..for about 3 hours. Complete couch-lock. When I do have any energy, the knee will often say tough nuggies, by being stiff and a bit puffy.
I am back to resistance training and my barre workout, but again..sparingly..twice a week.. and the next day is usually mostly bed rest.
Something that is helping has been increasing my supplements and eating extra well..I am usually anemic and after TKR it's common anyway, so I am watching nutrition closely.
Also very helpful has been the use of SAM-e which supports mood and has been shown to reduce muscle pain/fibromyalgia symptoms etc. SAM-e is expensive but well worth it for me.
 
Wow Brian I can't believe you are back at work! I had mine a few days after you and a trip to the store and my knee is swollen begging for ice, pain pills and bed! Before surgery I rode my bike over an hour 3-4'times a week and did and hour everyday on the stairmaster. My back was killing me from my knee and my leg being shorter but still was active. Now,15 min on the bike, some weighs and exercises and I have to rest before I do anything else. I sure hope your pain gets,better. It is so frustrating not being able to so a fourth of what I could. It will get there!
Cathy
 
Five week update: 115 degrees of flex. Pain decreasing by the day...feeling clearer headed. Still tired by about 3:30...but getting more done. It's a long, arduous uphill climb. Just want to be better...

15 week post op. 105 degrees of flexion. Nagging muscle ache often each day. Quite often tired...and emotional :-( Longest recovery journey of my life and STILL RECOVERING!

Brian, for 5 weeks you are doing FAB :) Just remember it's still VERY EARLY DAYS for you! Just keep trying to get the right balance of rest, ice, elevation & exercise & I have NO DOUBT that you will get there! Xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom