TKR Smarttoys recovery

Yes, I do swell up more if I'm on my feet for more than a couple hours which I think is pretty normal at this point in my recovery. Standing in one spot is the worst.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

sitting / standing in one spot is strong suck for me at 3 weeks. Just gauging when it will be less suck lol


RTKR - 08DEC15
 
John, I love the fact that you are doing the agility with your daughter. What a handsome dog in your profile picture. Maybe I should train my cat in agility. :rotfl: I have taught her to come, sit, sit up, shake hands, and fist bump on command. We are now working on catching with her hands. (Well, her front paws) She will pick up food off the floor with her paw and eat it like using a hand. A very clever cat.

Now, about your knee. I am 7 weeks now and today at PT measured 115/3. That is after not doing any PT or exercises for 2 weeks. I think we will continue to gain ROM at our own speeds. Patience is not a virtue that I possess unfortunately. Perhaps you are better equipped> :wink: Good luck.
 
@Timetolive Your cat does sound clever. Have you seen the YouTube videos of cat agility. They're fun to watch.

I have been pretty active throughout my recovery so I'm pretty sure that is holding me back a little on ROM. I am feeling stronger by the day though. I don't know which I would prefer at the moment, more ROM or more strength. Hopefully I will get both at the same time.

I do spend quite a bit of time icing and elevating but it's getting harder to sit or lay still for extended periods. After spending two hours plowing and shoveling snow this morning I was tired and chilled. The last thing I wanted to do after that was ice my knee. I just elevated instead.

I don't take many pain meds anymore. Occasionally I take some acetaminophen or ibuprofen "just in case" when I think I may have been a bit too active.
 
Here is a picture of my scar at six weeks. It's a little purple in this picture but sometimes it's pale and blends into the rest of the knee well. I told my wife that if my knee felt as good as my scar looked I would be a happy camper. The scar is a little crooked but the lower part was following a previous scar. I don't know why the OS just couldn't come straight up from there.
I'm glad I don't have to worry about shaving my legs.:snork:
[Bonesmart.org] Smarttoys recovery
 
Last edited by a moderator:
John, your scar looks great! Yes, you should be glad you don't have to shave your legs! I used my husband's electric razor ( don't worry, he doesn't use it - his beard is too heavy for them) for weeks and finally got brave and used my razor Tuesday. I sure was nervous getting close to that scar! Have you been massaging your scar with anything?
 
I haven't been massaging the scar with anything yet. I may just leave it alone and see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
 
I had my last PT visit today. Measurements are 116/0. They are trying to get me to continue PT for a little longer. I have to start paying my deductible again after the first of the year so I'll have to think about it. My basic visits will cost me about $100 each.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
 
John, that is an interesting dilemma. You are so active and seem to work on your knee at home. You are a week behind me and I measure 115/3. I haven't gotten to 0 yet. When I read all the things different PTs do with others here on Bonesmart, I feel like I am not getting what others are. I have missed several visits due to illness, but continue to do some exercises at home when I can. Are you satisfied with your progress and do you feel confident in your progression on your own? When it starts costing so much, you really have to evaluate it! Good luck and Happy New Year!
 
I haven't been massaging the scar with anything yet. I may just leave it alone and see how it goes.
I did not do a thing for mine.
I had my last PT visit today. Measurements are 116/0. They are trying to get me to continue PT for a little longer.
I think that you can forgo the PT sessions now---you are doing quite nicely. I would not worry about the numbers---you know the exercises and you know how to be gentle on your new knee---and you know that you can take a while to fully recover--you may want to simply check in with the PT's, but numbers mean nothing---as long as you can do what you wan and you can do it pain-free---that is what matters.
 
@Timetolive I think your ROM is really good especially considering the issues you've had.

The only reason I am considering continuing with PT is that some of the stretches my normal therapist has been doing seem to be really effective and they are tough to do on my own. Plus they are constantly reminding me to concentrate on healing first, ROM second, and strength third. At this time I think I will wait until after I see my OS on Jan 6th to see what he recommends. My therapist said he will leave my file open for two more months in case I decide to come in for more sessions. Even if it's just one here or there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You could always just go in for a "checkup" type visit. That's the way I left it with my PT for the last knee, but ultimately decided I didn't need to go back since I was doing ok and knew all the exercises (and kept the handouts).
 
I had my 6 week followup today with my OS. Even though I'm at about 7 weeks. Christmas and New Years messed up the timing a little.

My OS was very happy with my healing, range of motion, etc. He estimated my range of motion to be around 0 to 120 degrees by eye.

He did prescribe gabapentin to see if it helps with sleeping. I don't have much problem sleeping but I do get a bit achy at night.

What's funny is that he asked me if I felt like I was better than before my surgery yet. I said not yet and I thought it was a bit early to expect that quite yet.

He wants me to come back for another followup in four weeks.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
John, that is great news about your ROM. I liked your response to the OS about your recovery. What did he say when you said that? Do you have any pain now? Where? I have pain to the left of my kneecap and at night the aching keeps me awake. I am going to try the Saran Wrap thing tonight.

I am getting ready to leave for my 2 month follow up with my OS. I still have lots of questions for him. He has told me in the past that what I have at 3 months is 85% of what I can expect in recovery. I measured 116 yesterday at PT. Still not at 0. One guy measured 3 last week and yesterday it was 8. With a thick thigh, I really don't understand how they can possibly differentiate between a few degrees. The swelling in my kneecap area prevents a lot of extension. I asked PT what their goal was, and they said anywhere near 120 or beyond.
 
I'm glad your surgeon was happy with your knee's progress. It's always reassuring to hear that. :)
 
@Timetolive my OS didn't say too much other than he likes his patients to feel good about their progress compared to pre surgery by at least 12 weeks. I think that's why he wants to see me again in 4 weeks.

I'm mostly just achy here and there. I don't have too many specific pains other than a little on the lower medial side of my knee cap. I'm assuming soft tissue that was cut to access the patella.

I have used Saran Wrap here and there at night. I don't know if it made much difference for me but last night it felt pretty comfy. I will see if that combined with the gabapentin will help with the aches at night.


Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great report. Your progress is going well. Your OS sounds like he is really listening closely to his patients. Keep it up!
 
@newlybionic The reason I chose the surgeon I did is because when I started looking into getting my knee replacement his name kept coming up from almost everyone I mentioned knee replacement to. I wouldn't have considered going with him if it weren't for all the people that said he was the best in the area. This also came from many people I know in the medical profession. He performs surgery in a small hospital in a small town about an hour away from me. They only have 11 beds. I had much larger hospitals to choose from that were much closer to me.

He has a few videos on YouTube if anyone wants to watch them. One is a 10 minute pre surgery informational video and he has a couple actual surgery videos on there also. One of them was a live broadcast of a surgery for the local high school anatomy class. The audio isn't very good. His name is Dr. Jeffrey M. Lawrence. If you type in his name on YouTube search and add knee replacement after his name his videos should show up.
 
Here are some pictures of my implant at two weeks. They look pretty good to me but what do I know?
[Bonesmart.org] Smarttoys recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Smarttoys recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Smarttoys recovery


Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks John. That is about where my worse pain is. I mentioned it today and the OS showed me that he cut a circular cut under the top layer to move the kneecap out of the way. I assumed (yes, I know...) that since my incision is straight that it went straight all the way down. That makes sense and he told me to really massage that area to break up any scar tissue that may form.

I find it fascinating to see the x-rays! I think they look good - but I am like you! :heehee:
 
My knee has been feeling pretty good lately. It's still a balancing act on how much activity is too much. I usually err on the side of too little just in case. I plan on going back to work at around the 12 week mark. My job is physically demanding and I want to make sure I'm as healed and healthy as possible before going back. My OS agreed with me and prefers that I wait until then also.

I've been going to the gym 3 to 4 days a week. That's especially good now since I'm done with PT. I did slack some around Christmas and New Years. I'm also back to doing my normal 30 minutes of cardio again which feels good. I usually do 10 to 15 minutes on the exercise bike and 20 minutes of elliptical. Followed by some stretching and light leg exercises, mostly hips and glutes. Then upper body and core. I still mainly use machines for lifting since I'm still trying to avoid carrying free weights around for now.

I have a dog agility competition this weekend, the first one since my surgery. Should be interesting. It starts tomorrow. My daughter and I have practiced a few times last week with my dog Buddy but it remains to be seen how he will adapt to me moving slowly around the course in competition. Hopefully I can report to everyone here lots of qualifying runs and placement ribbons. I would be happy with just qualifying runs though.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom