Guest viewing is limited

TKR Smarttoys recovery

Thank you Janis and Marian. @Timetolive my wife had a nice birthday but she had to work so she couldn't enjoy too much of the day. In the evening I made her a nice meal and her favorite cake. Not to mention the presents from me and the kids.:thumb:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not cooking dinner after a day of work would be a great end to a birthday! Good on you!
 
My first day back to work went pretty well. I ended up working 6 hours today instead of 4. I was on the go for the first 2 hours before taking a break. My knee was very stiff and sore. I sat down and elevated for about 10 to 15 minutes and felt better. I found that throughout the day for every hour I worked it helped to sit down and elevated for about 10 to 15 minutes and then I could work another hour or so. Rinse and repeat. Not too bad for the first day and I was happy to find a routine that worked for me. I only did 4 hours of real actual work in the 6 hours I was there but that was to be expected. Depending on my work load tomorrow I may try to stick to only 4 hours total.
 
Good job! So....no mishaps with the stools? :heehee: I am glad all went well. You might want to stick to the 4 hours and not do too much to start with. It will be harder to recover if you get too tired - like a snowball escalating down the hill working more than you should. I know if I work more, more is expected..:gaah:
 
@Timetolive No mishaps with the stool today. I kept it in the lowest position and on a cushioned floor mat so it wouldn't roll away from me when I sat down. It sure came in handy when I needed a break. As far as working to much or too long, my worst enemy is usually myself. I have a hard time stopping when there is work to do.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I made it through my first week of work and my knee doesn't feel too bad. Actually only 4 days this week. I'm taking tomorrow off to spend time with my family.

The first day was the worst but I think I just needed time to adapt to all the walking and being on my feet again for extended periods of time. I tried to sit when I could but in my job it's hard to be productive sitting down. I went to the gym before work each day and did my 20 minutes of exercise bicycle, 20 minutes of elliptical, and lifted weights. I didn't do many exercises for my legs because I figured that the bicycle, elliptical, and being on my feet and walking around at work was more than enough at this point. I averaged about 6 hours per day and I think I might try 8 hour days next week. I will see how that goes.
 
Wow--that seems like a super hero sized workload to me. Congratulations but make sure not to overdo it!
 
John, I knew you would do fine. You are determined to get your life back. Enjoy your day tomorrow with your family.
 
Wow! That's more than I could do at week 12! I put in 4 hours a day for 6 weeks.
 
You might find if you increase your work day you will want to decrease the number of days at the gym.
 
Here is my 11 week update. My knee seems to be coming along nicely. Still some swelling and stiffness but I am doing more and more lately. I'm getting between 6,000 to 10,000 steps on most days and working out 4-5 days a week. Last summer I had 30,000 steps on most days so I have a way to go yet.

We had a couple nice days in the 30's and 40's here this last weekend so I got out the bicycle on Saturday and went for a short bike ride with the kids. We only went a few miles since it was a little cold. The good news is that my knee felt really good on the bicycle maybe even better than I felt pedaling before my TKR. I was planning on getting a new bike in the spring but I wanted to make sure I could actually ride a bike before ordering a new one. Now that I know I can ride, I traded in my bike and ordered my new one.

I have my next follow up appointment with my OS on Wednesday morning. We are supposed to get a bunch of snow Tuesday into Wednesday, possibly blizzard conditions. Probably the same storm midwest girl mentioned. The clinic is over an hour away so hopefully it's not too bad.
 
John, this is great news! Since Charlie (the beagle) has come into our lives, my husband is hitting 10,000 for the first time ever! I can't wait to be able to walk that much. I still have too much pain from that place on the medial side. My appt with the OS is also Wednesday. Hopefully, you will be able to make yours! We have had two days of 68 degree weather - although there is still ice and snow in the shade! Be careful if you travel in the snow.
 
Good luck at your appointment! I'm in Nebraska and we are still getting hammered. All roads are closed including interstate. Last I heard a few hours ago we were at 14" snow and have 45 mph sustained wind. I too have an appointment with my OS tomorrow afternoon.
 
How exciting that you were able to take a test run on the bike.
 
Thanks Janis, midwest girl, and Kneeper. Our storm today wasn't as bad as originally forecast. We only got around 8 inches but the majority of that fell in 2 to 3 hours and I was running errands during the middle of it. Poor timing on my part. There is a chance of snow, freezing rain and drizzle overnight and into tomorrow so it should be a nice mess going to my appointment.

On a plus side, between the gym, running errands, shoveling snow, and working in the garage I had over 12,000 steps today. I'm tired and a little sore tonight though.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom