PKR Slow, steady recovery....challenging gains in ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember that tight feeling. I was at the point 5 weeks out I called my surgeon and asked if I came in would he drain my knee. Of course he chuckled and said be patient. He was right of course and within the month I was up to 45 mile rides on my bike. Now 9 months post op I seldom even think about the knee and have resumed all I did before the TKR except running.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had an MUA early because at 6 weeks I was only able to achieve 65 degrees ROM. My knee was tight, not dissimilar to a tight ace bandage, but rather than swollen tight it felt more like concrete. I felt if it was forced it would crack/snap/break. It was clear to me that no amount of anti inflammatory, ice, time or rest was going to change this. I had a miserable post-op inpatient rehab experience where I was told I wasn't trying hard enough and gung-ho doctors who tried to take me off pain relief far too early.

At my 6 week surgeon apt I told him how disappointed I was, how hopeless the current treatment was and how little movement and how much pain I was having. I brought up the subject of MUA. He showed me in his surgical notes that he predicted a poor outcome due to previous injury and surgery and noted old adhesions.

Thanks for posting this @dovemck . I find this very descriptive. For some people MUA is definitely needed. I think the challenge is figuring out when it is just a common swelling issue or something different, like your case seems to have been.
 
How do you determine if it IS just common swelling?
 
Normal swelling is what you would expect at your stage of recovery. It's been there all along, right? It didn't just suddenly arrive, right?

Please, give your knee time and try to stop worrying. This is a very long recovery. It can take as long as a year for full recovery, although you will feel better long before that.
 
@maui, I just read your thread and can hear your concern. I had a LTKR on Sept. 19th. On my first visit to PT four days after surgery my flexion was 84. I was ecstatic as it was much better than my first surgery two years ago on my right knee. Unfortunately the place where I went this time for PT (only because it so close to my house) was very aggressive. After the first week I was in extreme pain and decided to go back to the PT I had for my first knee. Sure wish I went there to begin with, but live and learn. When they measured me I was at 62. I was so upset. It has been an uphill battle and I never thought I would get my ROM. I even talked to my PT about an MUA. At my six week visit to my OS I had just reached 90 so he wanted to see me again in another six weeks because of my ROM. At 12 weeks I had finally hit 105. My OS said that I could have an MUA since it was taking so long but he felt that with continuing my PT or exercise on my own I would get to 120. Just this past week...14 weeks post op I hit 112. Needless to say I was on cloud 9.
So what I am saying is that sometimes it just takes a little longer. This is one surgery where I have found that patience is your best friend.
Oh, and another thing. My therapist found that I just didn't get good results with the regular heel slides. I would still keep doing them, but two things that she added and really worked for me. 1. Wall slides - you can lay on your bed or the floor and put your feet on the wall (I always wore socks) and slowly slide your foot down the wall. Once you can do this, to make it go farther, put your foot of the opposite leg on your ankle to help your operated leg go down farther. 2. Put a book or something like that on the floor in front of a wall or anything that will keep the book in place. I started out facing the wall, but eventually put the book up against the foot of the coffee table and could watch TV while doing it. Face a chair to the wall or whatever the book is up against and while sitting down put your foot of the operated leg up against the book. Start out with your leg bent comfortably. Slowly scoot your butt to the front of your chair making your knee bend more. I would do this for five minutes. When first getting up from doing this exercise I could hardly stand because it would feel like my knee was stuck. I would hold onto the chair or wall and stretch the leg out by bending the good leg forward and stretching the bad leg back. I hope this helps. You will get there!! Anne
 
I like the wall idea @yorkiemom I did something similar to the book thing but because I'm a computer addict I used my wheeled office chair and my desk, scooting myself closer and working the bend.

My first P/T (whom I like to refer to as 'the gloriously incompetent ') told me in my case it was probably adhesions because when she tried to forcibly bend my knee there was some give - she said if it was swelling it wouldn't do that. *shrugs*. Yes, that was the last time I saw her (good riddance).
 
@dovemck, I'm really surprised that your PT said that! With me having so much trouble with my ROM my therapist said that when she would push my knee back she could always feel that there was some give, but would stop because I just couldn't take going back any farther. She said she would worry if there was no give at all. That's when you run into problems. So it sound to me as though they were saying the opposite. I completely trust and love my therapist....You were smart to get rid of yours! Anne
 
My theory is that the younger and more athletic you are, the slower the recovery. I'm not an athlete, but I am active. I hike. I'm 3.5 months out from my TKR and was still taking daily pain meds quite a long time....weeks. I'm back hiking without a pack, doing easy to moderate hills of 4-5 miles. Sunday I'm doing a 7 miler. I also think that active people, especially athletes have different goals and discription of recovered
 
Thank you all for your advice, suggestions, and words of encouragement. As I said before, I have an apt with my OS on January 15th. He told me that if my ROM is not @ 80° by that point he would like to do an. MUA. Has anyone reading this every had this same recommendation but decided to not do it...and then find out it was just swelling and the knee healed fine without the MUA? Or, didn't do it...and wished you had? I am praying that I will not have to face that decision but also want to get advice from those who have been "in my shoes" before. At this point I am just beginning to feel like normal again....my only issue is the tight band feeling across my kneecap and on the sides.....I have a really hard time imagining setting my recovery back again....not sure I could take it mentally.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The following link and abstract is from a recent study. I do not have the ability to evaluate the validity of the study nor fully parse the nuances. My understanding is the Journal of Bone and Joint surgery is a go to source for many surgeons. It appears that the conclusions do not quite match up to what I think is a loose consensus on BoneSmart (and mildly contradicts some input I gave in an earlier post). I know my OS had more of a go for ROM early philosophy, but I was at 90-95 at three weeks (TKR #1) so if I recall correctly, we were looking out at something like 12 weeks if I was stuck there. Of course, I was on drugs when we discussed this. :)

Basically, the study shows better results from MUA before 12 weeks (Groups I & II) than after. I think the results reflect a general grouping study (no breakdowns for age, gender, weight, pre-activity level, etc), and I think somewhere in the full text there was a nod to this. The sample size appears somewhat small, but the ratio of women to men was almost 2-1 (women).

Jan. 15 is about 7.5 weeks out and I assume it will take a few days to schedule. If you have confidence in your surgeon, and make sure to ask the questions you have, I think you will make the best possible decision you are able to make.

broken link removed: https://jbjs.org/content/96/16/1349

ABSTRACT
Background:
Manipulation under anesthesia has been reported to improve range of motion when other rehabilitative efforts fail to obtain adequate motion after total knee arthroplasty. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of the timing of the manipulation on knee range of motion and clinical outcomes.

Methods: All 2128 total knee arthroplasties performed at our institution from 2005 to 2011 were reviewed to determine the number of patients who had undergone manipulation under anesthesia. A total of 144 manipulations in eighty-eight women and forty-five men were reviewed. Manipulations under anesthesia that were performed within the first twelve weeks after total knee arthroplasty were considered early and those after that period were considered late. Patients were further substratified according to the timing of the manipulation: Group I included those who had the manipulation within six weeks; Group II, at seven to twelve weeks; Group III, at thirteen to twenty-six weeks; and Group IV, after twenty-six weeks. Outcomes evaluated included gains in flexion and final range of motion, and Knee Society objective and function scores between early and late manipulation, using various adjusted multivariable regression models and at a mean follow-up of fifty-one months (range, twelve to eighty-one months). Mediation analysis was used to investigate whether gains in range of motion from the manipulations under anesthesia alone had mediated the effect between the timing of the manipulation and the clinical outcomes.

Results: Patients who underwent early manipulation had a significantly higher mean gain in flexion (36.5° versus 17°), higher final range of motion (119° versus 95°), and higher Knee Society objective (89 versus 84 points) and function scores (88 versus 83 points) than those who had late manipulation under anesthesia. There were no significant differences in the outcomes of Groups I and II. Manipulations after twenty-six weeks resulted in unsatisfactory clinical outcomes. Multivariable regression analyses confirmed significantly better clinical outcomes with early manipulation. Mediation analysis showed that the timing of manipulation independently had significantly contributed to the outcomes.

Conclusions: Orthopaedic surgeons should have a low threshold for performing early manipulations with the patient under anesthesia within twelve weeks after an arthroplasty, to achieve higher knee range of motion and improved clinical outcomes.

Level of Evidence: Therapeutic Level III. See Instructions for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.

FOOTNOTES
  • Investigation performed at the Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics, Center for Joint Preservation and Replacement, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland

  • Disclosure: One or more of the authors received payments or services, either directly or indirectly (i.e., via his or her institution), from a third party in support of an aspect of this work. In addition, one or more of the authors, or his or her institution, has had a financial relationship, in the thirty-six months prior to submission of this work, with an entity in the biomedical arena that could be perceived to influence or have the potential to influence what is written in this work. No author has had any other relationships, or has engaged in any other activities, that could be perceived to influence or have the potential to influence what is written in this work. The complete Disclosures of Potential Conflicts of Interest submitted by authors are always provided with the online version of the article.
  • Copyright © 2014 by The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Incorporated
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@maui so sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! I somehow missed the tag.

The study above that trailspud cites does seem to indicate that MUAs done early have better results than those done later. But.....I didn't note any discussion of why the MUA was done. Should a person actually have adhesions, then the MUA would be warranted. I still stand by the advice that you give yourself some time as long as you are making progress (even slow progress is still progress).

The description of adhesion and the feeling that goes along with it that dovemck gave is excellent. A person with adhesions will feel like they hit a stopping point with their bend. There may or may not be discomfort, but it is definitely like the joint simply will not move any farther. I'm not sure from your description that you have this feeling. Yours sounds much more like swellling which is why I think you may be better off to wait a bit.

Talk all this over with your surgeon when you see him in a few weeks. Just don't be pressured into doing something because you are told there is a "window" and you'll no longer get results from an MUA. We have had members who waited....some even though their doctors wanted them to have one. One member.... @Nursepair ... had her MUA done well over a year out. It worked and she is fine.
 
@maui only you and your OS can make the decision about having or not having the MUA. I wanted to share my story with you. I have severe Osteo and Rheumatoid arthritis. At 8 weeks post surgery I was stuck at 86° flexion. I had an MUA on 12-24-14 with high hopes but also knew it might not help. My OS bent my knee to 115° and within 2 hours I was at 90°leaving the hospital. The MUA is not as bad as TKR by any means but it did set me back. Its been 12 days since my MUA and my knee is stiff, swollen, bruised and very sore (the knee is forcibly bent). I am currently between 85°-90°. No better off than I was at this point on flexion. However it did get rid of 2 very hard rigid areas and some of the tight band around my knee making it less painful to walk. The surgery and then the MUA put my Rheumatoid arthritis into major flare ups and it feels like it is attacking my knee as it is the weak spot in my body. My PT and OS tell me hopefully it will get better over the next few weeks. I wanted you to know an MUA is not always a quick fix even though it may be for some people. I took the chance on the MUA when I did even knowing all of this in advance as I only had 2 weeks left off work and had already met my insurance deductibe and out of pocket expenses. My OS suggested the MUA but also gave me the option to wait another month or two. I don't regret having the MUA as it did help in some ways. Please talk to your OS and ask any questions you have about a possible MUA so you can be well informed and make the best decision for you. Best wishes in your decision and your continued recovery.
 
I agree with Jamie. The study does not define the criteria for doing the MUAs in any category therefore the results are, at best, questionable. I still go along with the opinion of many talented knee surgeon with whom I have worked, that early MUA is a mostly unnecessary for the simple reasons that adhesions just do not form that quickly and the real reason for the supposed block in ROM progression is nothing more scientific than swelling and pain.
 
The study talks about a "higher final range of motion of 119 versus 95". I gained ROM very slowly and my OS never mentioned an MUA. Below is a log of mine, which shows ROM can be gained very slowly. I haven't had mine measured for a year or so but my guess is that I have maintained around 120 but I don't do anything to help it get any higher. I'm now three years post op.

92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months
 
Thank you all for your stories. I realize that everyone heals differently...however, I'm goin to ask for specifics:) First, my details currently...
1) I'm 6 weeks and 2 days post RPKR
2) ROM: 65 flexion 0 extension
3) Still swollen (however OS says it's not that swollen) If I don't wear compression it swells so I cannot hardly walk
4) I have an extremely tight feeling across the bottom of my kneecap and on both sides. I honestly cannot tell if it feels like there's "give" to it.... or it feels like "cement"
5) My PT seems to do a good job (this is my first surgery so I have nothing to compare it to.) He tells me that if I was his wife he would have me do the MUA. I do PT 2x/week along with stationary bike and all kinds of stretching for at home work.
6) I see my OS on the 15th. I did see him last wednesday and he was not thrilled at all about my ROM. Told me it was mental and that he could put me under real quick and manipulate it.
7) This process has been crazy hard on me and my family. We were given rediculous recovery expectations by the OS (walking in one week and driving in 4 days). Mentally, I am at the end of the rope. This process has taken my mind places that I can't believe I would have ever gone.
8) I really don't have any pain. I take some extra strength tylenol for pain when needed
9) currently taking 7.5 milligrams of maloxicam for swelling...been doing that for 3 days with no visible results


Here's my questions to all of you. Has anyone had such poor ROM, been recommended an MUA, decided against it...and had good results in the end. I"m just now starting to feel like a human again.... (The idea of causing all that pain and extra recovery time is almost mind blowing.) ......walking with one crutch and being able to help around the house. I've read so many of these MUA studies and it seems as though the end results are not usually much better than just waiting it out. I'm just so unsure as to which way I should go. The only thing I'm sure of is that I've given this whole "knee thing" over to God and am hoping to get a peace about the route I should go (knowing my OS will suggest MUA on the 15th). Hopefully your opinions will allow me to find that peace. Thanks so much for reading.
 
One question: How can you do a stationary bike w/only 65 degrees of flexion? Are you just rocking back and forth? If you can do a complete revolution then even if your seating is high and the crank arm is short...you are still way past 65 flex.
 
Just going to about 2oclock and 8oclock....using it to stretch.
 
Yes....I've read those....and I've read everything on the internet. I guess now I just need some real life experiences from you guys. Thank you.
 
I think one of your key points is #3.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom