PKR Slow, steady recovery....challenging gains in ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
@maui
I think that much of your perceived problem is that somehow you have acquired unrealistic expectations. You have a ROM of 110-120 at 5 months. That is not slow progress. It is normal, even good.

A knee replacement, whether it is a partial or a total, is major surgery and your body takes a long time to recover. It can take a whole year, or even longer before all the internal structures are fully healed. While your knee may look healed on the outside, it still takes all that time to heal completely.
Here are a couple of articles that might help you;
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
TKRs and our fast food society

This isn't a recovery you can speed up by working hard at it. In fact, doing too much can actually slow down your progress. Since what you are doing doesn't seem to be working, why not try something different? Cut back on all this exercise. Most of it isn't necessary anyway. Your normal activities of daily life are quite sufficient at 5 months after surgery.
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”

I know you say that your knee isn't swollen and it may not look swollen from the outside, but it is still quite likely that you have some swelling inside the knee joint. It's a pretty tight space in there and it doesn't take much extra fluid to gum up the works, so to speak.

So your surgeon's PA thinks you need a manipulation and a removal of adhesions? I'd bet my last dollar that she's wrong and that your surgeon will not agree with her. First, as Josephine says if your ROM is 110-120, you don't have adhesions. Second, almost no surgeon will contemplate a manipulation once your ROM is past 90.

I know it's very hard to be patient, but please try to stress less about your progress. Your knee knows how to heal itself and I'm sure it will.
 
Yes...wall slides....I'm doing them laying on the floor....is that easier on the knee?. I have felt for so long that they are helping increase the stretch.
You still didn't tell me how many at a time and how often.
 
2-3 times a day for about 20 minutes/session. I try and hold deep stretches rather than count the number of slides. If i do not have adhesions....what is causing the tight feeling?....something other than swelling?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom