TKR Sleepless in Seattle

@sleepilu many of us are jealous of a system where you don't have to pay hundreds of dollars a month just to get the health care. Frankly I would forgo my ice machine any day of the week to get National Health!!!

I was lucky in that I could sleep. But, here are some of the things that other members mention as a sleep aid.
One, of course, is what @gazelle7777 mentioned--herbal teas. I even put some in a thermos so that it was nice and warm when I woke up in the night. Also, some folks use Tylenol PM which has an anti-histimine in it which helps you fall asleep. Some folks sleep in a recliner at night. I could never get comfortable myself in a chair with an ottoman---but you could try it. Recliner chairs: things you need to know if buying one for your recovery.

Also, you are a 8 weeks. My doc told me that I should be resting two hours for every one hour that I was up and about. So, naturally you will take some little naps during the day, which is just fine if you are not working. You can then wake up at night and just read and relax without feeling like you HAVE to be asleep.
 
I should have added that if you go to the bar at the top of the page and click on library you will find a menu. At the bottom of that menu is the listing for the nutritional articles that @Poppet has written for our members. There are several there that mention herbal remedies for sleep aids, I also agree that it is better to stay away from pills if you can. When I had appendicitis in Italy many years ago, the nurses brought around a thermos filled with chamomile tea for the evening.
 
Roller coaster is right. I took Aleve pm, had some herbal tea and put a hot water bottle at the bottom of the bed last night. I slept well, I finally slept. This morning I feel ready to tackle it again no more dangling at the edge of a thread. I will do what I can and then be a little stronger when I face PT tomorrow. One day at a time. For me, easier said than done.



Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
I am glad that you got some sleep---it does help to be rested.
 
I should have added that if you go to the bar at the top of the page and click on library you will find a menu. At the bottom of that menu is the listing for the nutritional articles that @Poppet has written for our members. There are several there that mention herbal remedies for sleep aids, I also agree that it is better to stay away from pills if you can. When I had appendicitis in Italy many years ago, the nurses brought around a thermos filled with chamomile tea for the evening.

Hi there, thanks skigirl for mentioning the nutritional information... Here are the links

Did you know how the body goes about the process of healing following surgery (or an injury)?

Here is an article which explains this process.... :)


Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.


Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..


nutritional-snippets-did-you-know
 
We've all been issued a ticket to what seems like an everlasting roller coaster ride.
Yes, this recovery is much like an ultra-long Roller-coaster ride. IT has its ups and its downs. You just have to ride it out, and know that, in the end, when you reach your destination, you will be fully recovered.
[Bonesmart.org] Sleepless in Seattle


Insomnia happens to most of us who go through joint surgery
I was like a modern-day Diogenes---instead of looking for one honest man, though, I was looking for one good night's sleep.

I wandered around the house---I would start in the bedroom, sleep for about an hour and wake up---I could not get comfortable and I could not get back to sleep. I would go then to the guest bedroom, then to the couch in the living room, then to the futon in the computer room, and finally, in a fit of exhaustion, I would throw the futon mattress on the floor and crash there---all the while being followed around by my ever-so-loyal yellow lab, Parker.

Next to the length of my recovery, the sleep issues were the next on the list of the most frustrating aspects of my recovery.
 
The nutritional articles are amazing, thank you so much for recommending them. In addition to insomnia I have been having times of getting super hot (but only at night) that last for up to 10 min., I also had an episode where I got up in the night to use the restroom and returned to the bed with my heart racing. Saw a Doc today who thinks I may be having withdrawal from the pain medication, or ...a thyroid thing. The blood tests will tell. I also saw my PT today who was very sympathetic to my rough week. I just had to tell her about it and she was very kind.


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
I use Benadryl as a sleeping aid. It tends to make me very drowsy, and it wears off after 4 hours. And I avoid caffeine in the afternoon, as that tends to keep me awake till at least 2 a.m. So I would suggest looking at what meds have made you sleepy in the past and what food/drinks keep you awake.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I hadn't realized that. I just try to avoid anything with additional Tylenol when I am taking hydrocodone, as it makes it harder to add up all the meds with Tylenol in them.
 
Glad you asked your doc about the "hot flash" and heart racing issue @Alice M.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Alice and Sleepilu. I'm another insomniac - I'm not a good sleeper anyway, but it's been worse since my op. The first thing is to try not to worry about it - the more you worry, the worse it gets. You will get your normal sleep patterns back eventually. Meanwhile, as others have said try to grab a short nap during the day. My GP prescribed Zopiclone after my (first) LTKR, but I didn't find it that helpful. A full dose makes me dopey all the next day; a half dose sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I've still got half a packet left from a single prescription. I find listening to a Relaxation CD is more helpful, especially if you choose one that's geared to sleeping - personally I find one called Rest and Sleep most useful, but it's a very personal thing.
 
Blood tests came back. It looks like I need more iron and vitamin c. I took those as supplements before surgery but it looks like it would be good for me to keep taking them.


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
I got about 5 straight hours last night, felt amazing and certainly helped energy levels today.
But here I am tonight, 3 in the morning and still wide awake in spite of duplicating everything from last night! The fireworks have finished, I can still hear a few drunken revellers staggering home! Just jealous!
Happy new year!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I got about 5 straight hours last night, felt amazing and certainly helped energy levels today.
But here I am tonight, 3 in the morning and still wide awake in spite of duplicating everything from last night!
Do not fret!! That is normal---and I can commiserate with you! One night I got about five or so hours of sleep, and I thought that I had found the Holy Grail of sleep.

I tried it the next night with no such luck.

Again, next to the length of my recovery, the sleep issues were the most frustrating aspect of my recovery.
 
Blood tests came back. It looks like I need more iron and vitamin c. I took those as supplements before surgery but it looks like it would be good for me to keep taking them.
This recovery gig is quite something----it robs us of some things that we vitally need---sleep and vitamins and minerals. Our bodies are devastated by the recovery.
 
Ha ha ha, so now I'm trying to stay awake for the new year and I'm getting drowsy! Go figure : )


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom