Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sleepless in Seattle

2 months post op. Returned to work today. The most standing I have done in a long time, whew. I brought ice for lunchtime. Now I'm home at the end of the day and I'm so tired. My knee was strong and it was so wonderful to be back to "normal", but now it wants rest, feels a bit swollen and is revolting the idea of making dinner for the family. Icing 15 taking it off 45, icing again - hoping it will take the edge off. Hoping my tiredness will help me sleep. Could be a long week ... But I'm so happy to be doing something I love!!


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
Many congrats on your return to work. As a 5 week out person I am inspired to read such news! I hope you have a good rest, that the family make dinner for you and have a good nights sleep!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Try the opposite, icing 45 min., off for 15. Don't know how you did a full day! I went back part time at 3 months and was exhausted.
 
I had insomnia so bad I thought I was going to go crazy. I talked to my doctor and he gave me Ambien. It helped a couple of times and then didn't do anything. Here's what worked for me....if you've had children, repeat the process of the first weeks after birth. Sleep when you can. A schedule is not the most important thing right now, just getting the rest. If that means you fall asleep at 9am and sleep all day, so be it! I know this is especially rough if you've gone back to work or a schedule (I went back to work after 8 weeks) but it's the only thing that worked for me.
I also found that my recliner became a much more comfortable sleeping experience than my bed for a while. When I got back to bed a pillow between my legs was a necessity for another 3 months. Learn to sleep with an ice pack on. Also a necessity. I WILL get better. Just try to go with what your body is telling you to do and don't try to force another pattern...much as you try it won't work.
 
Sorry for taking up all your space! Just saw your "weepy" post. It. Is. Ok. I'm telling you you are not alone! I wept like a baby because I hurt and I thought I should have already made more progress I wasn't sleeping. My husband got really worried. My doctor said to give it 3 weeks (I was in week 3 at the time) and if it wasn't better come see her immediately or if I felt it was getting unmanageable. She told me to cry if I felt like crying. Your body is traumatized and everything that you are feeling is normal. It's just your current normal. Your sleep is off, you're on crazy meds, and your body is trying like crazy to heal. Keep talking to people...keep doing your therapy. Know that it gets better.
 
The most standing I have done in a long time,

I remember how it was before my TKR and I wasn't able to stand on one leg for longer than 10 seconds. Now, standing is second nature, don't even think about it. I can stand on the leg with the TKR for as long as I can keep my balance. It's those little things, like standing, that I appreciate the most.

Take care and keep icing! :)
 
Gosh, I wish I could sleep whenever I felt like it, but I'm back on a schedule now - work is back. I'm up at 5am and return home about 4:30pm. The melatonin has seemed to help me get back to a regular sleep time even though I wake several times in the night, I'm able to get back to sleep.


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
I'm glad you are able to get some sleep. I'm sure you will be very tired tonight. Try to do as little as possible at home. I picked up take out many times when I first went back to work.
 
Yes, trying to ease back in. Sometimes I take the stairs, sometimes I just have to take the elevator. I've been catching myself on keeping good posture - for several years I was gradually hunching over to relieve the pain of my arthritic bone on bone leg. But now I can stand tall and walk with a completely different gate. Funny how the rest of my body has to realign to the new knee. It's great. Getting back to work this week though I made the call to ease up on the exercises. One thing at a time, or should I say ... All in good time.


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
That sounds like a very sensible approach!
Being back at work must be a huge effort. Just the thought of getting showered and dressed is still a major exercise in itself for me! And it's good that your sleep is beginning to get back into a pattern. I actually took a NYTOL last night, after having laid awake til 6 the night before and been like a zombie all day .... and have managed about 7 hours with one wake up for pain meds. Amazing.
Like you say, one day at a time, they should put that on the bonesmart mantra!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Did Nytol work for you? I can totally sympathize with the zombie no-sleep world. Hopefully you, unlike me don't get cranky and drive your husband and kids crazy.



Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
My numbed spot is getting smaller (it was quite big). I'm noticing that the biggest numbed place is below my knee, and when my knee hurts after over-use it's that particular spot that bothers me the most. Any advice about that, other than keep on icing?


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
Mine too! I give it a good firm massage and then put a hot water bottle on it when it's niggling the most.
As for the NYTOL .... Took one again at 11 last night and it just hasn't had the same effect at all. Wide awake again after 3 hours. Only banging my head against a brick wall left to try. ....



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That has happened to me too!! One night something will help me sleep and I'll think hooray I've found the ticket! And the next day I finally find myself looking forward to going to sleep, but then...the thing I found doesn't work anymore. Frustrating. But I suppose I'm gathering quite a list of sleep aides that I can just rotate through when I need too. Going back to work has made me tired ... But it has also made me so tired that I'm only waking up only once or twice a night and I'm able to get back to sleep. It goes to show that everything will get figured out in the end. Sweet dreams tonight.


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
It is funny how one night you sleep very well and other nights it seems like no matter how tired I was I just couldn't fall asleep. As time goes on you will get back to your usual pattern. Hang in there. :sleep:
 
Check the post in my thread for yet another sleep idea? Celebrating one decent night's sleep!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Pain. Pain under my knee, the place where it's still sort of numb. Darn, I was doing so well. Getting back to work, sleeping. Now it hurts ugh


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom