Guest viewing is limited

Sleeping on side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Kimmie, if you're able to walk 3 miles a day (at any speed!) at this point in your recovery, I'd say you are doing very well indeed!

That stinging pain you describe was the same for me. I think it's caused by the deeper parts of the incision that is still healing so early on when we try to lay on the operated side.

I don't know if all the walking you are doing may be helping/hindering the deeper tissue to heal. And, I suspect that opinions here will be across the board on that. Your OS may be your best reference point on that for your situation.

Hang in there--you'll be sleeping on your side soon!

Dan

Well, that actually makes me feel better just to know that doing 3 miles is considered doing very well at this point. I am a very cautious type person, always worrying if I'm doing something that might hurt something, so I began getting a little nervous about feeling that pain today. I guess your body is the best indicator whether you're doing too much or not. I just wanted to make sure I don't allow it to get too stiff.
 
I've heard of some people that were already hiking and walking long distances already at this point. How is that so?

I've never heard of anyone doing any hiking or doing lots of walking at only four weeks post-op. If those people do exist, it's probably best not to compare yourself to them, because that is not typical at all. We all recover at different rates, but that's okay because it's not a race. :thumb:
 
Hi Kimmie,

My surgery was 3/29, and I'm till walking with a cane. There are a delightful variety of journeys here, and from what I understand, there is no 'normal' recovery. I am grateful to have support in whatever my recovery looks like, however, long it takes, and as so many advise here, it does us no good to compare our recovery to someone else's.

You're doing great. Just continue listening to your body.
 
Kimmie....I don't know who you've been talking to that says you should be doing all these activities so early in your recovery. But I agree it would not be the norm. Sometimes these stories get passed around about the brother-in-law's cousin of your mother's sister.....you know. It may not be the whole story you're hearing.

Just focus on yourself and your own body. It will tell you when you are pushing a bit hard. Things will hurt. It's much better to go at recovery at a slow and steady pace than to push like crazy then have to rest up several days. This recovery is your lesson in "patience." :th_heehee: It's a tough one for most of us!!
 
"Listen to your body" - I'm sure I hear that somewhere here before! There's no set pattern, no plan that you have to adhere to. And it's more like how long rather than how far.

If you do something and find yourself suffering afterwards as a result of it, then it was too much. Everyone is different with different rules and pattern. But I can tell you that 3 miles a day at 4 weeks is far too much too soon. My recommendation is that people start doing about 5 mins a day in week two increasing to 10 mins by the end of week three. In week four maybe get up to 20 mins a day - it depends on your body's feedback!
 
"Listen to your body" My recommendation is that people start doing about 5 mins a day in week two increasing to 10 mins by the end of week three. In week four maybe get up to 20 mins a day - it depends on your body's feedback!

I appreciate that Josephine...seems like a more realistic goal. I already feel so behind the other hippies here....I know everyone's progress is different.
 
Yay! Yesterday, basically by accident, I turned over on my operative side and was pleasantly surprised that, for the first time, I didn't feel that pain or stinging, but only if I don't lay all the way on the incision area. Before, I couldn't even begin to turn to that side at all.
My right side is beginning to feel stronger every day!
I am finding that I'm also, just in the past 2 days, able to stand on the right side without feeling pain, as in when you go to put your pants on and put all your weight on the operative side.

Now the thing is, my left side is beginning to really give me more problems since it has taken a lot of pressure. I'm hearing a lot of popping sounds from that side. I'll be so glad to get the left side done and over with.

Another thing is, I don't know why, but people ask me if I notice a big difference in feeling the pain I used to feel prior to surgery, and for some reason I seem to have almost forgot what the pain was like before. I tell them, I can't really tell yet. Why am I having a hard time remembering that pain? Doesn't seem right since I dealt with such horrible pain for so many years.
 
I think we tend to forget nightmares - like that pre-op pain!

So glad you are seeing steady progress Kimmie!
 
If we didn't forget awful pain after it's over, no one would have more than one child. :)
 
That's it exactly, Sharon.....it's the natural thing to forget about how bad things hurt. And that is a really, really GOOD deal!!!
 
Hi Kimmie and well done on your progress. I'm no expert but I personally believe in listening to your own body. Yep some people are hiking and walking long distances at this point but I tend to think of the long journey I've been on to get my new hip and I also want to keep it for as long as possible - Will the hikers be back in the Operating Room sooner than us?? Don't know but referring back to my original comment 'listen to your own body'.

Take care - we have a lifetime ahead of us to enjoy :dancy:

Carole xx
 
Hi kimmie

Had the same issue with sleeping in the right side, very uncomfortable the first 6 weeks,( remember the amount of tissue damage and stress on the muscles during surgery) best is to trust your body and the pain. I was deathly afraid of just turning onto the side, but about 6 weeks after surgery I just went for it, don't lie on the scar, try and lean back a bit to get the weight of the scar, this helps, prop some pillows behind your back and between your legs, this helps with the "weight" of the good leg.

Trick with walking is to take it slow! For me it was very difficult as I'm also a fast pased walker and very active, best is to try and put your full weight on the leg as much as possible during your slow walk, it takes a bout 3-4 days for the muscle to "remember" what it's supose to be doing,from there you can pick up the pace. I tried the tread mill for the firts time last friday, ( surgery done 6 Dec 2010) almost 5 months later, was ok up to a point ( inner thigh muscles were not happy after 10 min),so I stopped and went back to the bike. muscles are a tough one to get back into it's pre op endurance. just stick with it and trust your body.

Dr. tells you it takes 6 months then youre back to your old self - no way! It takes longer if you were an active person before the replacement, pace yourself! all good things happen in good time.
 
I have been experiencing off and on pain, especially when I cross my non-operative leg over the other, for the past few days. Is it normal to still have this type of pain even after 5 or 6 weeks into recovery?
 
Hi Kimmie,

I'll be interested to hear others' replies as well, but here's my take on your question.

Pain throughout the healing process has absolutely been normal for me so far. In fact, what I am experiencing is that the pains are changing over time. I'm on week 10 post-op now and I'm still experiencing new pains--the worst has been about a 3 out of 10 when I woke up in pain from the position I was sleeping in.

My thoughts are that as long as the pain is changing and not staying constant and in one place for more than 3-4 days that it's just your body healing around the new joint and your muscles adjusting to life with a new hip.

I'm still going to PT and I mention these pains to my therapists. They still think all is well, so I'm trying to just work though it when it happens. By the way, I am still taking Aleve and Tylenol every day.

Take care,
Dan
 
Kimmie, I'm at 6 weeks, and I still have pain on and off in various places. I can cross my non-operated leg over the other, and it's fine for five minutes or so, but eventually I am aware of a strain that is bordering on pain, so I shift position. I get a lot of stiffness and soreness after I've been sitting, but it eases off with a few minutes of movement. I am also still on meds.....Tylenol and tramadol every 4-5 hours.

I sure hope it's normal!

Sharon
 
Kimmie - from my experience I would advise not crossing your legs at all for awhile. If you think about it, when you cross your non-op leg over the op leg you are putting a bit of stress on your new hip. There is just a bit of pulling it slightly outward that you should not be doing until at least 6 weeks out. My OS told me to avoid crossing my legs period.

You are very early out of surgery. Give things a chance to settle.
 
Thanks! The pain has been in the same spot for the past week now, so I started getting a little worried about it. It almost seems as though its the same exact kind of pain I had prior to surgery, which I thought would be gone.
Again, I have read some others recovery where they say it was amazing and like heaven to wake up after surgery and feel no more of that kind of pain. I don't understand how that can be true.
This pain I'm having seems to bother me the most when my leg is in a certain position, at times, whenever it starts bothering me, I switch positions, move the leg until it goes away, and sometimes it can only be in one particular position in order for it not to hurt.
I go back to my 6 week follow-up appt. with my dr. this next Wednesday. I'm sure he'll check everything out.
 
Let us know what the doctor has to say, Kimmie. I'm betting he will tell you it is post surgical pain that is completely normal.
 
Went to 6 week post op appt. today. I saw the x-ray of the implant. All looked good.
He seemed to be surprised, I saw his assistant because he wasn't there today, when I said I wanted the other hip done asap. So, I was sent over to set up a surgery date. The first possible date he had was not until June 24. My husband is working that day, so I had to postpone it for tentatively July 5th. I really wanted this done quicker, but I will be patient!

I re
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom