TKR Sleepilu in recovery

Maybe getting back to work will be the best distraction ever!
Right now, as well as in the past---we have been super-focused on our knee and on our new knee. Down the road, though, when our lives normalize, the knee simply what it is supposed to do---and it does in pain-free.

As we gain normalcy in our lives, the focus is more and more on our lives and less and less on our knees, and the noises may not disappear entirely, but you certainly pay much less attention to the knee and the noises.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else lie in bed on a morning and make plans for the day .... And then do none of them?!
I know much of it can be attributed to the general lack of energy, a small degree of feeling blue, a lack of get up and go, fear of causing more pain, scared of falling especially on a big weather day like yesterday. And a pinch of laziness - after all it does feel very snug in here!
I had a list of 5 things to achieve yesterday, did none of them! I wasn't sitting around doing nothing but before I knew it the day had flown!
Could do better .....!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sure--I do. I think the knee is using a tremendous amount of energy to heal itself, leaving very little for our plans.
Try to let go of the feeling that you should be doing "better." We are doing the important work of letting our bodies heal. When they are ready, the get up and go will come back! I know this from my heart surgery. Our fellow smarties keep telling us. This is one time in life to be gentle with ourselves.
 
@sleepilu, Yes, I do that too ! I've always been a list maker, my lists now are very short. I too run out of energy after I've only done one or two item on the list. I worked for 3 hours a couple of days ago, wore me out for 2 days !!! Thought since I was sitting down most of the time it would be easy. Feels like right now nothing is easy. Our surgeries were only as few days apart, so I guess we are where we should be at this point. Trying not to feel guilty about all this lying around with my leg up, I know it's what I need to do right now. Thanks for posting, made me feel better to know someone else is having all this spin around in their heads too. Every day we are one day closer to feeling normal again.
 
@jarabas and @karol723
Thank you both for your much needed support. x
I have decided today that much of my inaction is due to a lack of confidence. I just don't feel up to strutting my stuff alone in public .... just yet. Time again eh?
 
Your confidence will return @sleepilu . I'm usually very independent and confident and at 3 months, my confidence is only now really starting to return although I still prefer to go everywhere with my husband. Be kind to yourself and don't rush anything.
 
@sleepilu , I hibernated throughout most of my recovery. If you feel like nesting and resting, that's what your body needs. I was extremely self-conscious about going out in public for a long time. I was afraid I'd collapse while crossing the street (almost did once). 90 year olds on walkers were faster than me, for real.

Yours will be a different story in just a couple of months, I promise. You will get your energy back and then some. It is very difficult to hold me back now that I can move well. I am starting to wonder if I'll get myself in some other sort of trouble- eaten by mountain lion, for example. :yikes::mooncat:
 
@Kelpie and @Clipless
Thank you both for your supportive, kind words. I know you're right and I am going to try to stop beating myself up about this and TELL people who are interfering with their "Shouldn't you be out & about more?" comments to keep their opinions to themselves!
Back to work very soon and so I will be seeing 2 or 3 people a day to start off with so that will be a gradual reintroduction to the world from the safety of my own clinic room!
 
So I apologise in advance as I go on about my clonking again ....
Week 11 and it's getting worse. I get a double clonk with every single step now. And I think it's the clonking that is now aggravating the entire knee and hams. Or is it the hams that are too tight so making it clonk? Aaaargh, I'm so fed up of trying to understand what makes no sense!

I have found the surgeon's email, he did say I could contact him if I was ever worried but I've been holding off, just in case the next thing that happens is worse and I need to bother him then!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
At week 10 I started to get the clonking, my surgeon said it's part of the recovery when the muscles are still not strong enough. I'm sure I have read on this forum people have had this problem & it does disappear in time. I do hope this is the case for you, if you are really worried contact your surgeon for your peace of mind.
 
I agree with everything Sue has said. My clunking has either reduced or I'm getting used to it. It's my belief that it decreases as muscles strengthen and "hold everything together better" but I may be wrong. It wouldn't do any harm for you to chat with your surgeon. Don't be afraid to bother him. He should be interested, it's his artwork after all and he wouldn't have given you his email if he didn't want to hear from you. When mine was at its worst, I found it really unpleasant too.
 
Thank you both,
I did ask him about it at the 6 week check but this is WAY worse now than then.
Ah that's really interesting that yours started around the same time Sue. I can't imagine getting used to this the juddering it makes can be felt right through my body. It's really horrid!
Am going to relax the hams and see if that helps.
 
I think you should contact your surgeon. Even if it is a normal thing people go through, it would bring you peace of mind to be reassured.
 
You have read this article, haven't you, @sleepilu ?
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

Do ask your surgeon about it, because I think that will reassure you. However, as long as it doesn't hurt, there's probably nothing to worry about.

My right TKR, which is 4 years old, still clunks from time to time. It seems to have decreased in frequency, but I'm still aware of it. I just ignore it now. My right TKR, which is 17 months old, doesn't clunk at all.
 
Thank you Celle, I had read it.
I have emailed him anyway and so will see what he says. The clunking itself does not hurt BUT the vibration and jolting that comes with the clunking is causing discomfort right through from below my knee to posteriorly. As well as increasing the swelling and heat again.
I truly hope that one day I will be on here reassuring someone else that clunking with every step isn't out of the ordinary!
 
I'm glad you emailed your surgeon. It's always best to check with him when you are feeling something that doesn't feel right. I hope you get some reassurance.
 
No not yet! But then this is the NHS and it is less than a week ....
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom