TKR Sleepilu in recovery

Hope you got back to sleep @sleepilu . Your lunch date sounded great! You can get cheap adjustable canes on eBay. I bought myself a collapsible one for just £7. It's not as heavy and robust as the metal hospital ones but it's strong enough and handy as you can shove it in a bag.

This is the description of the one I bought.
Folding Walking Stick-Black-81cm-92cm Adjustable (Boxed) Cane # 28929

I didn't drive until 7 weeks and despite being quite anxious about it, it was a bit of a non-event. I took the car for a short dive on my own for the first time last weekend. I made sure I wasn't on my strong meds during the day before I drove though. It's also an automatic which helps.
 
Since I am at 6 weeks now, I plan to try driving this weekend. Probably just around the block to be safe.
I took a couple of practice runs around a few blocks just to get back into it. My truck ha sat for so long---I forgot to go out and start it every now and then---the battery was dead!

Getting tired of being cooped up in the house and needing to depend on other people. I'm sure we all start feeling this way at some point.
Ype---good ol' cabin fever! Getting out and about is all part of that normalcy that we crave so much!

The jury's out regarding driving. I just don't feel ready yet, so no point trying yet. I think I'll know when it feels ok to get behind the wheel.
Very wise. You will know when you are ready---strong enough ---to drive.
 
Had my 6 week check up with the surgeon today.
He reassured me that my clunking and very occasional giving way sensation are normal at this stage and will reduce as time goes by.

He didn't see the point of putting me forward for hydrotherapy physio, instead encouraged me to get back in the pool as soon as I feel up to it.

I got a pat on the back and was told to keep on doing what I was doing!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh no, my other knee is killing me tonight. The poor thing is under such a lot of stress. It must be very angry to make itself heard above the painkillers!
 
Went for a ride for the first time today ! Just around the block, felt soooo good. Wouldn't go for a long ride yet, but at least I can get to the store or post office. Just knowing I can do it makes me feel better. Will drive to pt tomorrow afternoon, about a 20 minute ride. My husband is coming with me, just in case the knee complains. He's been so supportive through all this, I'm lucky !!! You're so right sleepily, don't know how the btkr people do it. It's been tough enough doing the knees 10 months apart ! I give them a lot of credit, its gotta be really tough. Hope you start sleeping soon.Are you able to nap during the day? Hope so.
 
I drive a Ford F-150 4X$ truck, so getting in and out of it after my BTKR was actually fairly simple. IT gave me enough room to wiggle in and out of it until I got more ROM.

Driving, in the early stages, can knock you for a loop and tire you out quickly---and make sure that you have enough strength in your legs to perform an emergency brake.
 
My car is going off today for its MOT so the decision to drive has been taken out of my hands for a while!
I tried the change gear manoeuvre earlier in the week and I can do it but it hurt, a lot.
I can wait!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
My knee is still somewhat sensitive when I drive, so I will not do too much of that yet. I do have enough strength in that leg to feel comfortable about breaking. We're getting a blizzard sometime tomorrow, so I won't be on the road for awhile !!! I'm 7 weeks past surgery and I've got an area at the top of my incision that is not completely healed up yet. Not sure if I should be concerned about it.. It's a little red and has a tiny scab in the center. Pt said it looks like its from one of the internal stitches. Anyone else have this going on ??? Doesn't hurt, just itches.
 
@karol723 I'm not sure about your would scab? Mine seems well and truly joined up! Hopefully one of the moderators will help?

I have found week 7 to be more painful than last week. More twangy up the back of the knee when I'm walking and swollen up each night (a bit but still noticeably) all the way down my leg. And just under my knee medially, a lot of pain when walking and kicking out a lot of heat.

I don't feel like I have overdone it, I haven't been doing any physio (this week comprises of sitting on the table and swinging my legs!) or walking miles .... but I suppose I have been relying on just one stick more than ever before and just generally pootling around more.

Thoughts please?
 
@karol723
It's surprising how long some of the wound scabs can take to fall off.
Can you post a photo of it, so we can take a look? That way, we can ask Josephine what she thinks.
 
@sleepilu I too have had some severe pain this week at 7.5 weeks. Reading your post made me feel better. Mine is also below knee in the bone area where piece was pounded in. I don't recall first one being this sore but maybe have forgotten already.
I have resorted to aspercreme and wrapping in cellophane. .. along with some warm heat in that area. That soothes it.
I am driving..Running some errands but after an hour or so on my feet..I have to rest.


left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
Help & reassurance please!
The clonking & clunking & rattling seems to be getting worse instead of better.
It doesn't actually hurt but every step i take comes with a strong CLONK
 
There is an article in the library about just this problem. I think that as long as there is no pain you should be ok. A quick call to your surgeon may help reassure you.
 
I know I've mentioned clunking before and at the 6 week check the surgeon said that some looseness was factored in with the new joint to allow for it to tighten. So why is it getting worse?!! I just hoped for reassurance from any ex clonkers!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
And here's the library article about noisy knees.
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

Basically, the noise happens because you now have hard plastic moving over metal, instead of the relatively softer cartilage and bone.
Lots of people find that the clunking decreases as their recovery progresses, but some people have a knee that continues to make noise. As long as it doesn't hurt, there's nothing to worry about.

Strangely enough, my right TKR (which is over 4 years old) still makes clunking noises from time to time, while my left TKR (which is only 16 months old) doesn't make a noise at at all.
 
Hi sleepilu! I used to clunk in both knees. Though not audibly loud I could feel it. My clunks went away after I was able to begin strength training at the gym, which was at about 12 weeks+ post op.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom