Guest viewing is limited

THR Sleep walker

Absolutely normal. I had thigh pain, knee pain, calf pain and til this day (9 weeks post op) I still have thigh pain on and off and still have a lot of numbness on my outer thigh on the operated side. Lots of fun with this procedure. Keeps us guessing constantly.
 
Is there a thread for January operations yet? I can’t find it.
 
Is there a thread for January operations yet? I can’t find it.
It's here and you were already in it from when you opened your preop thread and told us your date.
 
My leg was very swollen post op. One normal leg one tree trunk! Now I have to get up to pee every 1 or 2 hours all night and leg is returning to leg shape. Why does this happen in the night, I am exhausted through lack of sleep. Will this go on for much longer a d can you die from lack oof sleep? Please tell me if I am normal.
 
This was exactly my experience for the first few weeks.

Are you on blood thinners?
 
Yes, no clue why but seems 2-3 trips per night to use bathroom was the norm for me. Now it's once at 3-4AM & I can usually doze back off until 6-7AM.
 
@myglasshalffull I wish it was 2-3 trips, last night was 6 and that was an improvement on the 7 or 8 the night before. At first it was every half to three quarters of an hour. However I now have two legs, even though one is very fat. My Physio said that walking would help but I have pulled a muscle in the calf of that leg, so I can’t walk very easily yet. He is happy with my hip, just treating the pulled muscle.
 
Now you know what being a man over 65 can be like. Seriously post-op it was crazy how many bathroom trips I made.
Ice is the best thing for swelling on the operated leg.
 
Sorry that you have to deal with a pulled muscle on top of everything else, @Majic. Not fair!

last night was 6 and that was an improvement on the 7 or 8 the night before. At first it was every half to three quarters of an hour. However I now have two legs, even though one is very fat.
I had the same routine with my hip replacement -- couldn't believe the amount of fluid I was retaining. But, the good news was, it stopped once the swelling went down -- and I'd lost 6 pounds! :heehee:
 
Hi Majic,
During surgery they pump your body with fluids via IV and this may be a contributing factor for days to early weeks after surgery.
Try to limit fluids before for a couple hours before bed, if you're not already. Stay comfortably active during the day to aid in circulation and avoid fluid build up. Make sure you're elevating too, Majic.

It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

You will not die from lack of sleep as it's only temporary. :wink: Sleep anytime you're able, day or night.

Pillows can help, making it easier to fall asleep. You can experiment with different arrangements to find what works for you. I surrounded myself with them so I could rest a leg, or arm easily enough, whatever felt comfortable. Make up the bed with your most comfortable bedding / blankets along with a few extra bed pillows of different degrees of firmness. Try to block out the light if it's daytime. Minimize noise unless you feel listening to calming relaxation music, a fan, or white noise may help lull you to sleep. Make sure the room temperature is not too hot or too cold. Try to disconnect from the devices at least an hour before the targeted nap or bed time, so it's easier to wind down. Limit caffeine throughout the day and consider natural sleep aids such as Valerian, Chamomile or, Magnesium, my personal favorite, which can assist in muscle relaxation and nerves and promote healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

Apply ice for a time before bed to reduce swelling and numb any discomfort. Try some relaxation techniques if you feel they may work for you such as deep breathing, prayer or meditation or even some gentle stretching may help relax your body and mind.

An article on Magnesium from our Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Most large grocers carry a variety of teas such as Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Herb Tea,
Yogi Teas, Bedtime, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile, all of which may help you relax...at least worth a try.

Time will also help, but that takes patience, especially when you're restless and tossing and turning all night.
Wishing you many nights of peaceful sleep soon!
 
Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. Your thread title has been edited to reflect your current concern.

I hope you have a pleasant weekend with some restorative rest. :sleep:
 
Hi there Majic,
Here is a short tutorial on how to find our thread. Please let us know if you have any questions so we're able to help you.
 
Have you considered a "bedside potty?" Would save on multiple trips.
I didn't use one but I know many have them.
 
@myglasshalffull I have considered it but
I don’t think we have the room. Last night I compromised by using shower room loo which is much nearer than bathroom. Only problem is that walker won’t go round the door. I have to reverse in as far as possible, the grab sink and back myself to loo. A bit tricky in the night but I have managed it. We have a pretty large house with three loos, I’ve never realised how awkward the doorways are. I don’t remember these problems with my two TKRs. Last night was 6 trips again. Hubby is despairing for me.
 
Many thanks everyone, my painful leg has now been diagnosed as a pulled muscle, and my physio is trying to loosen and ease the pain of that before anything else. Very little pain from Hip.
 
@myglasshalffull I have considered it but
I don’t think we have the room. Last night I compromised by using shower room loo which is much nearer than bathroom. Only problem is that walker won’t go round the door. I have to reverse in as far as possible, the grab sink and back myself to loo. A bit tricky in the night but I have managed it. We have a pretty large house with three loos, I’ve never realised how awkward the doorways are. I don’t remember these problems with my two TKRs. Last night was 6 trips again. Hubby is despairing for me.
I am not a doctor but I wonder if it is to do with the soft tissue healing? I peed a lot at night in the first few weeks. I was on blood thinners and doing the exercises the hospital advised. The exercises aggravated the soft tissue healing causing fluid to gather to protect the healing, my leg would swell and at night the fluid needed to come out.

Following the guidance here I stopped doing anything that aggravated the soft tissue healing and just moved every hour and walked. I had a lot less swelling during the day and less trips to the bathroom at night. I think it doesn't help that we are told to keep hydrated to avoid clots.

Also, I was never very comfortable at night and my newborn hip would wake me every hour or two. As soon as I would wake my brain would decide I needed the loo. It was annoying. It does get better, honestly. I found the swelling issue improved once I stopped the blood thinner after five weeks.
 
@Phoebie Thanks for that. Every time I wake up I have to go to the loo too. I don’t know why but I can’t sleep otherwise. I improved last night, 4 times, plus a trip at 6am when for unknown teason bowels decided it was morning and they needed to get working. However good improvement from 7/8 times.
 
@Phoebie Thanks for that. Every time I wake up I have to go to the loo too. I don’t know why but I can’t sleep otherwise. I improved last night, 4 times, plus a trip at 6am when for unknown teason bowels decided it was morning and they needed to get working. However good improvement from 7/8 times.
Ahh, that's great news. Obviously still too many trips. I do think the brain is triggered to pee as soon as we wake and the hip wakes us frequently in the early weeks. It will settle.

You have to keep hydrated to prevent clots in the first six weeks but after that you can probably reduce your intake. I feel for you. The early weeks are tough going. I remember them well.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom