TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

Hope that stone passes without you even being aware of it. Antibiotics ought to do the trick for the UTI and then home for you!
 
I hope you are resting comfortably! Good luck with the stone! I am very interested in your kidney stone. They found I have two in a scan.

I am always in awe of those of you that have the courage to stand up to your PT. You are an inspiration in your recovery. When you had your first surgery, you said you were aware of what was going on. Did this bother you? How was it the second time?
 
I got home yesterday afternoon and am doing well. My amazing sister is here until Friday. Today she emptied my hall closet. Found one of my kid's soccer shirts from the '90s hanging in there!

I hope my kidney stone will just pass. I had one a few years ago, so I know what it feels like. But for now I am drinking a lot of water, which is good for me anyway.

Have no idea what my ROM numbers are, but sure they are not good. My extension is really lousy, so I have been forcing myself to lie on my back with it gently extended up my body pillow. Right now I am in my CPM working on upping the flexion. Only up to 70 so far.

I feel pretty great, except when the back of my knee complains about having been stretched. I ice it, and oh, the bliss.

I sat in my recliner tonight and watched a movie with my husband. When it came time to stand up I really had a hard time. I positioned my walker, and dragged a little side table around to push up on. I sat at the edge of the seat trying to get up the courage. And sat. My husband knows that I do not like to need help and that I want to do it myself. He had been watching me for a few minutes and finally said "Just let me help you!" I had to laugh, and asked him to please do so. He stood next to me and put his hand on my back. I gave a mighty heave forward and was able to make it with a gentle shove from him. I will not be getting in that chair when he is not around.

My 12 week old knee is a trooper. I am very careful with it, and it has not hurt me at all, even with the stress I put on it getting up from that chair. I am glad I waited 12 weeks to do the second knee.

Having in-home PT eval tomorrow afternoon. Am interested to learn how sad my numbers are. Hooray for home!
 
@Timetolive , I was not aware at all of the surgery this time. They started my saphenous nerve block (which I pulled out this afternoon), dribbled a bit of Versed in my IV, and wheeled me into the OR. The next thing I knew, I was in my room.
 
Jo, after my surgery I put a cushion from our outdoor furniture on the seat of my recliner. It raised me up enough so I could get out of the chair on my own. Then I put a pillow (or three) on the foot rest to elevate my feet. So glad you're home with hubby helping out. Your are doing great!!!
 
So happy to hear that you are at home and on your way to double success! Just remember that key to recovery that we all work on.... PATIENCE! :ice: Ice, elevate, rest, REPEAT!
 
I have an odd swollen spot about 4-6 inches below the center of my new kneecap. It is about 2" x 2", and runs from the midpoint to the inner side of my leg. It is largely still covered by the aquacell bandage, but edge that peeks out looks like a bruise. It is very firm, and maybe a little warm. I did not think much about it - swelling and bruises are to be expected - but my PT today thinks it may be a hematoma. When my home health nurse looked at it yesterday, she tsked tsked a bit, and said we would see how it looks when she removes the aquacell bandage Thursday (tomorrow). So I am being extra diligent about icing and elevating, hoping my body will absorb that sucker.

As expected, my ROM was nothing to write home about. Extension at 5, Flexion at 70.

My boss brought me flowers. When she came in my house, she kicked off her very expensive high heels in my foyer. When it was time to leave, there was only one expensive high heel shoe in my foyer. One of my dogs is prone to galivant off with objects of interest, but a thorough search of the house and yard turned up no clues. My boss drove home barefoot, which is illegal in the State of Florida. Hope she made it.
 
I hope your news tomorrow is that the bump is history. You're so brave to face two TKRs in such a short period of time - something I certainly would not have been capable of doing.
 
You sound really good @Slainte, and I'm sure it feels wonderful to be home. Hope the spot on your leg resolves itself. I like hearing that your right leg is behaving so nicely, hoping I can get the second one done in Feb.
Cheers to you!
 
Jo, I went to the urologist and had a CT scan. I have passed the 2 stones that had been seen previously and have a new one. I hope you pass yours as easily. Dr. told me to drink lots of water with lemon and take magnesium to help avoid making more. Do you do this?

I have to know, what was the boss's reaction to the shoe missing?
 
hoping my body will absorb that sucker.
ME TOO!!!!!:yes:

Funny about your dog and your boss's shoe! Would have LOVED to have been a fly on the wall to see how she reacted. It's bound to "shoe" up sometime.. :heehee: Wonder what kind of condition it will be in! Be sure to let us know if and when that happens!

Wishes for continued healing and comfort!! :friends:
 
Our story so far...
My pre-op admission urinalysis test came back positive. I was immediately put on some juicy antibiotics. A urine sample was collected in the OR, and it was negative. The ID doc still wanted a CT scan, and I did that on Friday night. That was no fun transferring myself from the stretcher to the CT table, but the Tech was a big strong man, and together we made it.

The scan showed a 2 mm kidney stone, which may be the cause of the original UTI. They were going to cut me loose Sunday morning, but my white blood count was at 18 this morning, and they wanted to be cautious and keep me. My temp keeps fluctuating. It was 100.8 this afternoon but tonight it is 99.4. My very sweet family practice doc held my hand this morning and told me I was fine and not to worry. I am really tired of this uncomfortable bed. And the hospital kitchen is being renovated so the main thing I have been eating is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

My new knee aches a bit. There is quite a bit of swelling and I will be glad to get home and properly ice and elevate. I am taking 4 mg of Dilaudid every four hours. I have asked to switch back to percocet when I go back home, as I have a cherrier outlook on that.

Okay, that is enough whining for now. I am getting caught up on all your threads.
Was just checking on my July knee mates and saw your kidney stone post. What a coincidence; I knew I had one just about that size before making the decision to replace my knee, even though it showed no signs of moving. And I was due for a colonoscopy, too, so I had that in January, then had the stone removed in May. I'm certain you have a wonderful urologist who will take very good care of you.

Meanwhile, my admiration for you has grown even more. We should start an @Slainte fan club on bonesmart. :phone:
 
My boss brought me flowers. When she came in my house, she kicked off her very expensive high heels in my foyer. When it was time to leave, there was only one expensive high heel shoe in my foyer. One of my dogs is prone to galivant off with objects of interest, but a thorough search of the house and yard turned up no clues. My boss drove home barefoot, which is illegal in the State of Florida. Hope she made it.
If my home state had that shoeless law, no one would be able to drive. Better check your first pay check for any "new" deductions. :cool:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom