Bilateral TKR Six weeks in

Hi everyone,
So I am now just into week nine post op and the recovery is slowing some what. I have seen that this could be the case tho so I am not overly concerned.

I believe that you start seeing improvements monthly rather that daily/weekly.

Frustration is my biggest enemy at the moment plus I only get sick pay for the first two months off work and that two months is now looming. I am going into work to speak with my manager about the possibility of a phased return to work.

Thanks you and hope you all had a very good Christmas.
 
Looking for some advice please.
I am getting a tightness and swelling directly above the knee cap. I did ask the PT about this and they said it was quite normal. I'm just wondering when this will ease off? I'm into my 8th week now so am I being to inpatient. This is one of the issues I'm having with the lack of sleep awaking to the discomfort of what I can only say feels like they have just ceased up. The other issue with the lack of sleeping is the restless legs.

I have spoke with my doctor who has now prescribed some tramadol to help me through the night. I can take one or two tablets a night they are 50mg. I'm going to try one tonight and see how I go.

I'm only on my third day and much of my pain and tightness is right above the kneecap where you describe. I have yet seen my incision but it feels like it would be at the very top of the incision. Is this where they have to skirt around the quad?


Left Knee Chondroplasty, Microfracture Meniscectomy 1986
Left Knee Arthroscopic Meniscectomy 1999
Left Knee Arthroscopic Meniscectomy, Stem Cell Injection July 2013
Right Knee Arthroscopic Meniscectomy March 2014
Left Knee Arthroscopic Meniscectomy, Stem Cell Injection May 2015

Right Knee Arthroscopic Meniscectomy, Stem 27 December 2016
Right TKR 27 December 2016
 
I hope you're able to negotiate a phased return to work. Would a note from your OS help?
 
@KarriB I have spoken with my manager today. I do security work and it's shifts 4 days on 4 days off 4 nights on 4 off 12 hour shifts. He has offered me a position for when I return which would be helping him out in the office.

This will be a lot easier for me and then if needed after that I can always do our position of controller which consists of watching the CCTV cameras and answering the phones.

I did ask about the possibility of maybe doing 2 shifts out of the 4 as well but my company have said I'm either fit to return full time or I'm not git to return to my previous position.

Saying this tho my manager understands the position I'm in and has said he will help me out and will not be working me to hard. It's going to be the return of working the whole day which is going to be the difficult part. But I must start somewhere I'm looking at going back on the 16th of January.

I will speak to my doctor after the new year and see what they recommend.
 
@mbrown I'm still having this tightness and have been told by the PT that it is quite normal and it will subside. It very frustrating tho as it's easing off on my left knee but the right is still very tight.

I think personally that I'm at that stage now where my progress is going to be monthly rather than daily/weekly.
 
I have seen posts saying that people have used Epsom salts whilst bathing does this help?
 
I don't think Epsom Salts will help much.
It's normal for your knee to still be swollen to some extent. Continue to give it as much rest, ice and elevation as you can.

When you do go back to work, you will probably find that your knee swells more again.
I'm glad your manager at work is being so helpful. You will probably be able to manage 12-hour shifts again, but not at first.
 
A desk job is better than walking which is what it seems your alternative is. If you can ice and elevate while working that's even better. I still had tightness at 3-4 months and iced/elevated after work every day.
 
With a desk job, it will be important to get up and walk a little about once an hour. You'll get very stiff, if you don't.
 
I found that "the stick" a roller device has helped with my knots, bumps and tightness! It was worth the 18$ at TJMaxx.
 
I'm on my third week back to work (mostly desk job). As Celle said, getting up every hour or so and at least taking a few steps helps with stiffness. I had quite a bit of ankle/calf swelling my first week. After that, I bought knee high compression socks (mild compression...nothing like TED hose) and that has significantly reduced the swelling and makes my legs feel more comfortable. Good luck when you return to work.
 
My first update for a while hope all of you had a good new year. I went out with my wife to see in the new year with friends. I did indulge in some alcohol and was out from about 8 pm I was on my feet for probably the longest amount of time since my op. Come 11:50 pm I was struggling and hit a bit of a wall what with my legs aching and feeling tired. We see the new year in and had to leave at half past midnight. I can tell you I suffered the next day but I suppose you have to go through a little bit of pain to get the gain.

Well yesterday 02/01/17 I took my daughter out to a local park and I went on my push bike. I left her with my wife at the play park and done a lap of the park and pushed myself or should say my knees and muscles. It felt fine we then all went on to complete a whole lap before heading home I also tried driving my car once back home and managed it without any problems.
 
You're doing well. You probably did overdo it on New Year's Eve, and your knees told you so. I'm sure it was worth it, though.
Everyone has to over do it now and then, but try not to make a habit of it.
 
You are doing great! Some days I wish I had been a BKR. It's frustrating to have one leg lagging behind.. time will take care of it. Like you I'm ready to get on with life
:fasthorse:
 
Quick update.
Had quite an eventful day yesterday me my wife and our five year old daughter had a day out at Brighton West Sussex.
This was probably the longest period I have been on my feet since my op. I did take my crutches and used them in the later part of the day.
First off we had a walk around the shopping centre then had something to eat then eventually moved down to the pier. I was struggling towards the end of our trip but pushed on through it.

Needless to say I was paying for this a little bit when we did get home. I was hoping the sea air plus all the walking would help me sleep. And when I did eventually go to bed it did have the desired effect as I was struggling to keep my eyes open. I fell asleep at about half ten but as it has been for a while I was awake at about half one in the morning this then lead onto the sleeping for an hour/hour and half and then waking for most of the morning. Really getting to the stage now where I need a good uninterrupted nights sleep. And I have tried just about everything to help to get to sleep but nothing as really helped.

I'm due to start back at work next week the 16th I'm hoping this might help by getting back into some sort of routine.

Cheers all peace ✌️ out and I'll post another update soon.
 
It's still only just over two months since your surgery. I think you're doing very well. Going back to work will be quite a challenge for your knees, which will probably respond with increased pain and swelling. We usually recommend waiting for about 12 weeks and then a
Phased return to work

It's not just what you do at work, but the travel to and from as well. That makes for a very long day of activity.
When you get home from work, try not to do anything else, except rest, ice and elevate.
 
@Celle thank you for your reply I'm really hoping that returning to work will help with the sleeping. The broken sleep is really nagging me at the moment. Oh what I would do for even 4 hours unbroken sleep.
 
So been to see the physio today and she has told me I don't need to go back. ROM is 0 degrees of extension and 120 degrees of flexion. She has asked me to start doing some 40 min walks at a decent pace as to build up my stamina for when I return to my job full time. It has been a bit of relief as I'm sure many of us of found its difficult knowing how well we are really doing.
I have also stopped taking the tramadol of a night now so hoping the paracetamol can continue to just see me through. It seemed to help last night. The sleeping is my main concern at the moment once I'm back on top of that I'll be much more happy.
Oh plus we have got ❄ here in Croydon UK.
 
I'm pleased that your PT discharged you because you've done so well. Great! :yes!: :yay:

As for trying to build up your stamina, don't overdo it. That old Energy drain for TKRs lingers on for much longer than you might expect. Much of your energy is still being directed towards healing your knee.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom