Bilateral TKR Six weeks in

@Chelseakev you had your BTKR on my birthday.I am having mine next week. You seem to be doing really well. I am hoping my recovery follows the same path! :)
 
@DebM all the best for your op I'm not going to lie it has been a real struggle at times. I feel as if I am eventually turning the big long corner I have been on the last few weeks. I have gained some of my independence back now as well.

It's a tough journey but stay positive have a good network of friends and family around you. And remember plenty of elavting, icing and resting up.
 
I tried to build my stamina before returning to work, it just made me more tired.
 
I'm pleased that your PT discharged you because you've done so well. Great! :yes!: :yay:

As for trying to build up your stamina, don't overdo it. That old Energy drain for TKRs lingers on for much longer than you might expect. Much of your energy is still being directed towards healing your knee.
 
So I'm going back to work tomorrow which I am now quite looking forward to, to be honest. In general I've been feeling ok things are starting to get back to some level of normality.
Just a bit curious so have got a question for the more experienced members on here.
What can I expect over the next few months any issues I may come across now I'm looking at going back to work and am going to be pushing things a little bit more physically.
 
You'll probably find that your knees swell a it more and feel some more pain. That's a reflection of the increased work load that going back to work will impose on them. So, when you get home from work, try to rest, ice and elevate as much as you can.

Some people find that support hose help to prevent some of the swelling. Those aren't the sort as the anti-DVT stockings you were probably given initially.

You'll still feel tired, because the energy drain is still in effect.

As for the rest, use your common sense. Listen to your knees and let them be your guide.
 
Good luck going back to work. I went back at 8 weeks after my bilateral, but used vacation and holiday leave so I only worked 3-4 days my first 3 weeks. Week 1 my legs (calves and ankles) we swollen by day 3 and I needed to ice and elevate much more on day 4. Weeks 2-3 were only 3 day weeks, which was helpful. I iced and elevated at my desk 1-2 times per day, as my schedule allowed.

Before week 2 started, I bought knee-high mild compression socks off Amazon (Dr. motion brand) and have been wearing those daily. They have really reduced the aching and swelling. I've been back full time for 2 weeks now and have not iced or elevated at all during work. Some nights I come home exhausted and need to ice and elevate the moment I walk in the door, and other nights I run errands on my way home, prepare dinner for the family, and then do other household chores when I get home with no problems. Just be prepared to adapt day by day.
 
So I managed to finish the whole week at work Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm every day. And honestly it's been ok I think I've benefited through having some brain stimulation during the days. As I am getting a better night's sleep.
I haven't really struggled pain wise it's just been the tightness I'm still getting above both knees. I'm assuming this is the quads and might be some scar tissue. Am I right in thinking this will break down with time?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So second week back at work and it has so helped with my sleeping. Knees are doing ok just very stiff.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom