THR Sitting comfortably

I feel that when I elevate my legs is when I mostly feel sick

Then don’t do it for now. I didn’t elevate a lot myself and did just fine.
Elevate when you’re able, but don’t suffer through feeling nauseous over it.

Think I'm just elevating to long overnight. I sleep OK but can't wait to sleep on my left side again!!

@Dogmother
I know exactly how you feel - I am a left side sleeper and trying to get quality sleep on my back, or even my right side, was an exercise in frustration and futility.
If it helps, I am 4 weeks out now and finally able to do some sleeping on my surgery side, though not for a full night. You’ll get there!

Hi Hipster 2
Thank you for your positive post. Doesn't help that I snore on my back, so my poor partner who is doing everything a the moment does not get any sleep!!

I also had a posterior approach and did not elevate my legs at night unless I was in the recliner. In bed it was not so comfortable which was strange since I am not normally a back sleeper. Try to get as comfortable as you can. Some people used a couch during the day to recline upon if it is high enough to easily sit down and get up again or an ottoman to rest their legs on and slouch in an easy chair with pillows behind you; again if it is of the right height for ease of sitting down and standing up.

Hi leejaa Thanks for suggestions. Unfortunately both our reclining sofas are to low to easily get out of and are manual recliners so quite hard to push back down.
Will keep trying different options.
Have a good day

Dogmother, some people were able to raise the height of their preferred seat by placing blocks of wood under the feet. Is that a possibility?

I opted to rent an electric lift chair- they are some sort of vinyl so are easily wiped down an disinfected.
I slept in mine for the first few weeks.

The other trick is to sleep in the guest room and get it very comfortable. That way you don't disturb your partner.. and they don't disturb you at times, either.

Last edited:
Hello CricketHip
We don't have a spare bedroom unfortunately. The bed is not to much of a problem it's sitting in a chair.
Where did you hire you chair from please?
I have been trying to buy a cheap recliner but the delivery is weeks!

Hi @Dogmother
Check your local listings for a medical supply or rehabilitation equipment business that rents out equipment. I’m assuming there must be similar businesses in the U.K. as the type we have here in the states. Fingers crossed you have luck in finding one. :fingersx:

Yes good plan I will look into it thank you:egypdance::egypdance:

Is anyone a Carer? Just wondering as I work in a Small Care Home just wondering if anyone has tips on getting back to work? My surgeon suggested 12 weeks post op as a precaution because of the nature of my job! Any ideas.???

The suggested time off work post THR is 10-12 weeks and then a Phased Return. Don't forget there is energy drain post op. It's real and you just can't fight it.

In any case, it's far to early for you to be thinking about a work return. Focus on letting that hip heal.

Good morningJaycey
I know you are right to early 11 days post op and I feel like I am failing can't even walk with one crutch. Operated leg feels longer so have no confidence in it. Bit of a tearful start feeling sorry for myself very frustrating. :good-bad::hissy:

Operated leg feels longer so have no confidence in it.
Almost every new hippie feels there is a leg length difference. But in most cases this feeling just fades with time.

Take things slow and steady. You aren't failing at all. You have just had major surgery. You'll get there!

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement :yahoo:

@Dogmother the tearfuls will come and go. Post-op blues, mood swings-- your body is working very hard to heal, so you may have little energy left for mastering the moods. So, said I to myself, when it was me, just roll with the punches.

I watched the caregivers in my mom's Memory Care facility, which had a capacity of about 60 on two long wings. Being on the feet All Shift Long, lifting, hustling, being in charge of helping residents larger than themselves not to fall-- for me, I'd take that 12 weeks! If you're itching for somebody to love on, go around visiting on these forums! :yes: :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back