Guest viewing is limited

Shelly's Recovery

I'm taking your advice from yesterday @Pheebs52. I'm taking the day off work and staying in my PJs, taking a pain pill and icing and elevating all day. I'm going to see if my mom wants to come over and visit and watch little Danno. Our 3 month old pup is such a busy little fellow who might make going to work seem easier.

I'm also hosting bible study at our house tonight. My girls can get the snacks ready and I figure if I must I will then change out of my pjs and continue to elevate on the recliner. :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Lounging in style (and comfort) on the recliner is a great idea. It shows everyone you want to be with them, and still are making sure to take care of yourself. Nothing wrong with setting a good example!
 
This sounds like a great plan for the day and evening Shelley! :flwrysmile:
 
Before my knee replacement in April I used to regularly attend Jazzercise. I absolutely love it and one of the reasons I wanted the surgery was that my knee had been making me unable to do it without lots of pain. I stopped playing tennis and stopped doing Pilates because of my knee and didn't want to stop dancing and exercising. I forgot I had told my Jazzercise instructor I would probably be able to resume classes again in September and I received a text from her yesterday asking me if I'd be in class next week. My knee is still so swollen from the MUA last Friday that I wonder when I will ever be able to return. The good thing is that my knee is so solid and strong that I know once my swelling subsides and I hopefully get my ROM back up that I will be able to start up again. I know better than to give her a start date now. This recovery has taught me that you just have to go with the flow and celebrate the small victories until you can get to where you want to be. There is no magic time frame.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hopefully your swelling will subside soon and you can get back to Jazzercise soon. That was nice of your instructor to check in with you - my spin instructor did the same. I used to love Jazzercise. When I moved to CO 20 years ago they did not have it in my small town:boohoo:- so I took up ice hockey :heehee:
 
I'm sure you will be able to resume your jazzercise in the not too distant future but wise to wait until your knee gives you the ok!
 
Ive only just noticed that my knee swelling has gone down. It seemed to be much bigger than my other knee for ages but it wasn't a big problem. Slowly,slowly I've got better. My knee flexion was so much improved by my MUA but recovery took time. Its only sometimes I remember to check ROM as I take it all for granted. Im now 11months out from TKR and 7months from MUA.
Tell yourself 'this too shall pass' and it really does.
I'm still staving off a second TKR for my other knee!
 
Wow, I'm getting caught up. I'm so glad the MUA seems to have given you the resulst you needed. Here's to you Jazzercising and me doing 5ks again soon, surgery buddy!
 
@mechellec, I'm glad you know the end goal is in site! You will get there in due time! It's taking longer for my swelling to go down since my MUA as well.
 
I foresee Jazzercise in your future! Your swelling will go down. It only seems to take forever. :bored: My knees are still a little swollen, even though they feel quite good. I'm kind of counting on the swelling going away along with this residual stiffness.
 
@mechellec - I lost track of your thread over the summer and just caught up tonight. I'm sorry you had to have a MUA, but so glad it seems to have given you more ROM. I'm with SusieShoes - you're on the mend and Jazzercise will happen for you. And you're right, too - celebrating the small victories makes this journey tolerable. We're all on a different time table, but most of us will get to our goals and then some.
 
Thank you @phrog! I agree with you about all of us being on different time tables. I think I went into this surgery over confident because my parents had both already had two tkrs each and I was a lot younger and more active than them going in and they healed fine so I assumed my recovery would be quicker than theirs. I learned a lesson. This is one of those times (like kids first words and first steps) where every single person is different and on a different time line. I am okay with the whole process now taking its own sweet time. It just took me awhile to get to this point.

I go back to OS this morning. Since the MUA I've really been fighting swelling and my bend decreased and is now slowly going back up. It was 118 yesterday and I am okay with just plugging away and increasing ROM over time.
 
good luck at the surgeon today. i hope he can give you some good advice to lessen the swelling; i will be following as i have the same problem with swelling.:console2:
 
@mechellec, hoping all went well at the OS visit today! For some of us, swelling really is the great big boogeyman; pffft! Just be confident, eventually, it has to disappear! Your flexion sounds great to me!:yes!:
 
Thanks @liam2015 and @Pheebs52! I went to OS on Tuesday and he and his PA both didn't like my swelling and put me on another Medrol (sp?) pack. This time it is working though. Since Tuesday my swelling is sooooo much better. My knee looks and feels so much less swollen. I only went to PT on Monday this week and it was gentle and other than that I've done nothing but normal every day living and working and this is probably the best I have felt. With all our stairs in this house I climb a lot of stairs and going down today felt almost normal (I'm frightened now that I've said that out loud). I seriously have decided to not stress about the bend and just live. I do pray however that this swelling says subsided after the meds end in a couple days! Hope you are all healing marvelously![emoji8]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good for you! I expect that once the swelling is under control your ROM will increase through your ADLs and you will move back to normal life! I love your positive attitude!
 
Great! I'm sure that with the swelling gone you will feel more and more "normal" whatever that is :heehee:.
 
Five month kneeversary today and I will say that (knock on wood) this is the best I have felt. I finished a five day medrol pack yesterday for inflammation and it really helped. I measured at 120 degrees today with ease and it felt great! I have truly learned that for me "less is more". It's really difficult in the beginning to follow the Bone Smart mantras when you have surgeons and therapists still pushing intense physical therapy but if you happen to be reading this and you are new to this site - please please please listen to the Bone Smart mantras. It is the way to go. I honestly think that all my slow bending problems stemmed from overdoing, and working too hard at getting my range of motion. I just made myself swell and swell and the bending was impossible. Yes, I believe the MUA helped but what helped the most was backing off on so much exercise. I'm going to continue going to (gentle) PT once a week until they run out - which will be soon - and as I see it, anything on top of 120 will just be gravy.

Thank you my Bone Smart moderators and friends for more help than I could imagine with this crazy recovery. It is definitely an experience that you don't want to go through alone.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom