Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Sharkey's Revised Knee

11 months post op, on my right TKR, and I'm no better off than the last time I reported here. Knee is still bent, stiff and won't straighten out. Pain is still there also. I did everything that was asked of me, as far as my rehabilitation goes, and this is my result. My OS acts like he doesn't even care about my well being. My last visit he was real casual about the whole thing. Says that I may need corrective surgery and when I'm ready, give him a call. Not really thinking about having him do it, if I decide to go that route. I've gotten a second opinion, from another OS and naturally after he looked at my knee, wouldn't comment if my current OS botched the surgery. Been suffering depression behind this and am contemplating suing my OS that did the surgery. I don't want to, but his condescending attitude towards the whole thing, has me thinking of doing it. I also filed for SSDI and had my hearing a month ago, and waiting what seems like a lifetime on their decision. I could use some encouragement, been down in the dumps for a while now.

MUA October 3, 2017
TKR August 1, 2017
 
Best of luck on your SSDI application. It's a long process, sadly. In the meantime you can take steps to correct what's going on with your knee.

My OS acts like he doesn't even care about my well being. My last visit he was real casual about the whole thing. Says that I may need corrective surgery and when I'm ready, give him a call. Not really thinking about having him do it, if I decide to go that route.

Your instincts are good. Find another surgeon to look at your knee. You want one that specializes in revisions and problem knees. Would like suggestions for revision surgeons in your general area? We'd need your zip code to know where to look.

I've gotten a second opinion, from another OS and naturally after he looked at my knee, wouldn't comment if my current OS botched the surgery.

Physicians are litigation-shy, not only about being sued themselves but about getting involved in other doctor's lawsuits. Lawsuits are a physician's nightmare because they suck away time (depositions, court appearances, and piles of paperwork), cost money (cancelling appointments and possibly travel expenses), and are just plain unpleasant, as adversarial things tend to be. Most simply want to practice medicine in peace. So it's rare that a doctor will say another doctor botched anything... even if they did.

What they will do is tell you if they think they can do something to help your knee. That's the surgeon you need to find, one who says there's a fix for your knee. :)
 
I'm outside the Detroit area. My zip code is 48334. Thanks for your concern.
 
@Sharkey, I'll tag Jamie and ask her to check on a surgeon for you.
@Jamie, will you look for a revisionist surgeon for Sharkey? His zipcode is 48334.
 
Ok, much appreciated. Let me know if Dr Jason Davis of West Bloomfield Mi, is one of the OS. He gave me my second opinion. Thanks...
 
Dr. Davis doesn't appear to have complex revision surgery as his specialty. If you proceeded with him, you'd need to ask him what he proposes to do with your knee and how many procedures like that (revisions) he does in a year. You want someone who works with difficult cases all the time.

I saw Beaumont Hospital seems to have a group of orthopedic surgeons who do complex revisions, but their web information wasn't clear about the individual surgeons' expertise. So, I think you should call their customer service specialists at 800-633-7377and ask which surgeon does the greatest number of complex knee revision surgeries. Let me know what you find out as I don't currently have any surgeons on my listing from the Detroit area.

I did locate one revision surgeon, broken link removed: https://dmcmedicalgroup.com/providers/sam-nasser-md-faoa/. There are phone numbers to contact his office at the linked website.
 
Last edited:
Thank you very much, for helping me locate a Revision Surgeon, will be in touch with one soon. I truly appreciate all the helpful moderators at BoneSmart.
 
So sorry you are going through this Sharkey... :prayer:
 
Sharkey, I am so sorry that you are going through this. We are here for you any time!
 
Hi, @Sharkey I saw on another thread that you are having a revision. What did this new surgeon say about your problems?

I am looking at second opinions myself these days.
 
He said he will try different techniques, that the previous surgeon didn't do. He's having some equipment delivered to my house, to help in the healing process. He called the name of them, but I forgot. I will find out and list them. He said I have alignment problems and severe anthrofibrosis.
I am real apprehensive about going thru this a 2nd time. My anxiety is high, and surgery is less than two days away. Just praying and hoping for a better result. I've really been suffering with this replacement.
 
Last edited:
I know just how you feel. The outcome of my partial has been very disappointing. Even so, I am also very apprehensive of a revision.

I’ll be praying that things go well for you this time.
 
What date is your revision surgery, @Sharkey ?

I've had a revision and it was no harder to recover from than my original surgery.
I hope yours goes well.
 
I will be praying for you, too!
 
Celle, my surgery is Feb 6th. They haven't called yet, to determine the time. Thx for the well wishes.
 
Last edited:
sistersinhim, much appreciated.
 
Thank you for your surgery date, Sharkey. I've added it to your signature.
 
Welp… Had my right knee revision done on Feb 6th, my OS says it was a success. The prior replacement's alignment was off, which was causing me all the problems. I've already noticed the difference is like night and day. The pain is more tolerable, I'm moving around better, and have a Nurse and Physical Therapist, coming to my home 3 days a week, for 2 weeks, then I go to a regular rehab center for 5 days a week until I meet my OS's goal of 90 flexion and 0 extension after 90 days. He also ordered me a X10 machine and a cold therapy machine at home for use those 2 weeks. The X10 machine is amazing, as I'm already at 8 extension and 78 flexion as of today. The previous OS, didn't even offer or suggest to me these options. The only thing he ordered for me was a CPM machine, which is considered outdated by most surgeons. Now, I'm wondering if I should seek legal advice on a misaligned replacement, which seems like I may have a case for. I was in a dark place for 1/1/2 years, that could have been avoided. He also included exercises such as ankle pumps, leg lifts, heel slides, etc.. he wants me to do on my own accord. I go see him for my 2 week post surgery evaluation on the 19th. Will let everyone know my progress then. Sorry for the long rant, just feeling hopeful, blessed and optimistic that it may workout this time. Thanks again for the well-wishes and support.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sharkey's Revised Knee
@Sharkey, from the February Valentines' pre op surgery list thread into a thread of your own where it properly belongs. Here you and your questions and concerns will get the attention they deserve.

Sounds like things are doing very nicely. Below are the BoneSmart knee recovery guidelines to help you have the best possible recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:

rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:



There are also some cautionary articles here



We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.


We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom