Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Sharkey's Revised Knee

Tried your method, and I can get still get my whole hand under it. My last PT session, the therapist measured me and said I was 7-8 inches from my leg laying flat on the table.
 
Tried your method, and I can get still get my whole hand under it
IT doesn't work instantly. Getting good extension can take a long time, because you have to gradually stretch those big muscles and tendons at the back of your knee.

Did you mean that your therapist said you still have about 7-8 degrees to go before you have full extension?
 
Yes, that's what he said. So the 10 degrees sounds about right.
 
Tried your method, and I can get still get my whole hand under it.
I read that as meaning you tried my method of assessing your extension, yes?
My last PT session, the therapist measured me and said I was 7-8 inches from my leg laying flat on the table.
That would indeed be about +10 degrees. (that's plus 10 degrees)
 
Yes on both accounts. I meant minus 10 degrees, thanks for the correction. :loll:
 
Isn't it plus ten degrees if the knee won't straighten?
 
I don't know, Josephine said it was minus.
 
I'm pretty sure Josephine meant +10 degrees. At -10 degrees would be hyperextended. Here's an image from her ROM information page: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/rom-range-of-motion-information.3730/
[Bonesmart.org] Sharkey's Revised Knee
 
@Sharkey, I helped my extension by walking with long strides, heel to toe. It takes a while, but it does work! If you aren't real steady on your new knee, make sure you're close to something to grab on to just in case!
 
Thanks for the input. I'll give it a try.
 
Went to a site call KneeGuru.co.uk and they aren't nearly as active as this site. Most of the posts haven't been updated in months. Also found out they recommend PT while this site doesn't. This is very confusing for people trying to recover from a TKR. My status hasn't changed going on 6 months post surgery. Still stiff, not as sore but knee still isn't straightening out.
 
Yes I've been there too. It ALL can be completely confusing! I think one has to walk a 'personal' fine line of doing enough and not doing too much.
How's your recovery coming from that MUA? Good ROM?
 
Also found out they recommend PT while this site doesn't. This is very confusing for people trying to recover from a TKR.
Yes, it is confusing, but you have to decide what is right for your knee. There are probably as many theories as there are surgeons. It all depends on how they were trained.

There is also a wide variation in the types of PT that are performed. They vary from the gentle to the over-zealous and painful. The trick is to find a therapist who does what you feel your knee needs.

My surgeon doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.
 
That site is/was run by a US PT who was very gung ho about doing aggressive exercises. I commented on one of his Youtube vids and had a very 'interesting' conversation with him! Mostly to the effect that I was a danger to my members!
 
Basically, no change. Stopped going to PT 2 months ago, insurance ended. Been doing non-aggressive PT at home, mostly just walking and stretching. Have yet to see any cognitive results that lead me to believe it's getting better.
 
Here are 2 pics of my manipulation, my OS took them

[Bonesmart.org] Sharkey's Revised Knee
[Bonesmart.org] Sharkey's Revised Knee
 
This sounds very frustrating. Are you mainly frustrated with your extension or flexion or both? You've never said what your flexion is? My MUA is in 2 days and I'm hoping to gain flexion. I'm ok in extension.
 
@Sharkey, How are you feeling? Did your bend maintain from after the MUA?
 
Feeling about the same sistersinhim, thanks for asking. My bend is about the same also. Have to ask the OS when I see him again in Feb, why my knee is still sticking out when I walk, doesn't seem to be getting any straighter. Still following the icing protocol and trying to be patient with a recovery, that is taking longer than I thought.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom