Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sewhat's 2nd Recovery thread LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hand is still tight and swollen this morning. .it hurts when I grab the walker

I've had a shower and gotten dressed. The doctors assistant has been by to talk about pain meds to go home on..I've ordered my breakfast and am getting a breathing treatment fight now.
 
Great ROM in PT! A little laughter helps everyone so that was probably nice! I'm sorry the nurse didn't notice the infiltrated IV. Ask for a warm washcloth to put on the hand....that may help a little.
Hang in there!
 
I'm home! Looking at my posts from the hospital, what a mess. I was using a tablet and the space bar must be messed up. I ran a lot of words together.

I got to 124 flexion in PT this morning. I'm probably gonna regret that when the nerve block wears off.

Tomorrow is my first outpatient PT. It will just be an evaluation. The therapist specializes in Parkinson't Disease and we get along fine. I was working with him on balance issues last year when I hurt my knee. My daughter stayed the night and went to therapy with me and brought me home.

The swelling in my hand is starting to go down. Its not throbbing anymore.

The exercises we did at PT are mostly the same ones that I've been doing. He only has us do 10 where I've worked up to 20 or 30.
 
It sounds like your iv was out of position. I had that happen in the hospital earlier this year. Your nurse was an idiot not to notice.
I hope your journey home is easy.

I don't think we had the light on in the room. We were using what light was coming in through the door in order to not awaken my daughter,
 
Yay for being able to come home today! Hope the bed is comfortable and that you get lots of nice, healing sleep tonight. :)
 
He only has us do 10 where I've worked up to 20 or 30.
You don’t need 20 or 30 right now, you are only days out of surgery. Your knee will come along fine if you take things slow and gently.

Don’t fall into the thought that the more you exercise the better and faster you will recover. Set backs happen quickly and easily this early.

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Sounds like things are going well! Keep us posted on how you are recovering!
 
@ Jockette, I guess I should have said that I was doing 20 or 30 as Pre hab. I've been doing the exercises since I found out I was getting a knee replacement.

@Carole thanks for the good wishes. I hope I sleep well tonight too. I have my first out patient therapy in the morning.
 
@ Jockette, I guess I should have said that I was doing 20 or 30 as Pre hab. I've been doing the exercises since I found out I was getting a knee replacement.
I did wonder if that’s what you meant. Just be careful now that you’ve had your surgery. Your knee has been through a lot! :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
I slept pretty well last night. I awoke about 1:30 and took my thyroid pill. I stayed up until about 2:50 and took a pain pill so that I would be on target for therapy. I awoke again about 5:30 to use the restroom and went back to sleep until my alarm on my watch woke me for Parkinson's meds.

My knee is swollen this morning, but not that bad, certainly not as bad as my hand was. My hand is a little swollen, but not hurting. My knee is a lovely purple, kind of like a port wine stain.
 
Your hand is swollen because the fluid that should have been going into your vein went into your tissues instead. It will take a while for all the extra fluid to be absorbed from your hand, but it will happen.
Tonight the nurse came by to put extra strength tylenol in my iv. I no longer have the full iv. They put it in with a syringe..when she started the saline flush it burned. She stopped snd changed it to the Tylenol. That burned too.she slowed it down and it just throbbed. Sh changed it back to saline and waited for the pain to subside and then gave it a little push.. My daughter and I went to bed. My hand kept throbbing. I sat up and looked at it. It was swollen and skin was very tight. I called the nurse and she went and got a bandaid. She took out the iv and its still swollen and painful 2 hours later.
When you experienced pain, the nurse should have turned on the light and checked your IV site and your hand carefully, before pushing in the Tylenol and saline. As far as pain relief for your knee, that Tylenol dose was wasted.
 
So glad you slept pretty well last night! :sleeep: Now you are well rested and hopefully today's PT will go well, too.

One day at a time and before you know it, you'll be recovering and feeling better than you do today. I am still cheering you on from the sidelines.
 
You must be doing everything right! Awesome that your knee isn't that swollen! Sound like you are on the right track of keeping on top of your meds, icing and elevating! Isn't the bruising quite colorful? It will eventually reabsorb but will be colorful for a while!
 
I did not have any bruising, but I had a partial, I don’t know if that makes a difference.
 
The place where I am getting my PT is where my daughter had training and was later hired. Then she was hired to work at the State Hospital where she has worked for 13 years. She drove me to therapy today after putting my Ted hose on. The therapist I have has been trained in Parkinson's Disease therapy.

He couldn't believe the 124 ROM. I could only get to 117 for him. My extension is still 0. He doesn't like the blood under my bandage. He's going to ask the doctor about it. He said he's going to put me on the bike next time.
 
After therapy this morning, I took a nap. I woke up, ate a sandwich and took another nap. I guess I'm catching up on all the sleep I missed in the hospital.

My knee isn't bothering me at all...yet. My hand is pretty much back to normal.
 
I forgot to mention about my knee clicking this morning in PT. When I bent it to do a heel slide, it clicks. It's a tendon or something and I can feel it from knee to ankle.
 
After therapy this morning, I took a nap. I woke up, ate a sandwich and took another nap. I guess I'm catching up on all the sleep I missed in the hospital.
Yes, that was my busy "schedule" when I first came home too. :heehee:

My knee isn't bothering me at all...yet. My hand is pretty much back to normal.
Good news!
 
I slept well last night. This morning I had a shower and my daughter came over to put on my Ted hose.

Saturday morning is when I do all my pill packets for the week. That is next on my agenda.

My bruising is spreading. I can't bend my knee as far as I could yesterday. I'm very sleepy. I guess I had better get my pills done before I fall asleep again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom