Guest viewing is limited

THR Severe Fall - Four fractures

I remember you too! Yes. I’ll give this a eee bit more time. I’ve switched practices.
 
If you are financially able/your insurance allows, I think it would be wise to check back in with your surgeon and request tests to make certain everything is where it needs to be. A fall like the one you described can have far reaching impacts that sometimes take a while to show up completely. I had a bad fall on black ice about 2 years ago that fortunately did NOT impact my replaced hip, but did stir up some previous chest ligament and back issues I had in the past. Always best to check things out if it's causing you worry, or to adjust you daily life routines. I know as we age, we have to accept living with some chronic pain, but either way, seeing a doctor might help you get peace of mind, or an action plan to alleviate the pains. Good luck!
 
Indeed, I tried Debru4! I think it might not be wise to post the issue with office on here. But I do have a superb DPT and I have another practice that I go to. I am really doing better once again. And now, I see only seasoned practitioners! Once again I thank you.
 
Hi spaniel,
Sorry to read about your recent fall (elsewhere) resulting in a broken ankle.
I hope you're doing well and feeling stronger week by week.
Take good care!
@spaniel
 
I will repost some stuff when i have more time! I'm really very very active now . But in short, some discomfort in no-operated hip, but transient. Much learned from first experience in which medical advice was rendered by the practice coordinator ( totally unlicensed person). Thas was anterior hip replacement with resulting paresthesia, which remains but i have adapted to it.
 
So- yea- i have a little exxtra time... While i'm not anticipating any surgery at any time soon, this will likely occur for knee, and possibly other hip. Also have foraminal spinal stenosis which is mooderate to severe. Again, the story is long but here's the scoop:
1. Traumatic spinal for r anterior hip replacement 2/22
2. paresthesia occurred in other foot.
3. Have a superb neurologist and decent ortho care at "another" practice.
4. i have a pain management M.D. who has decades of experience. I have never had a foraminal spinal injection as cervical traction with DPT helped a lot. On low dose Neurontin.

My neurologist had reviewed my case and was able to look into my notes with me vis a vis the spinal anesthsia mess up of 2/22. Now, for sure, the paresthesia may be related to this or to Hana table issue but that's in the past. The neuro and i will discuss whether its safe to have another spinal if/ and when needed. i will no longer do a five-ten minute talk with ortho or anesthesiologist. i've learned lesson!
But in others'experiences. Have you had a repeat bad spinal experience (i.e. multiple attempts with CSF -spainl fluid leak). Neuro indicated that personally if possible to avoid pain management injection of steroid for neck IF possible. But I did not ask him about an actual spinal for anesthesia. Just doing some homework here! I do trust the senior practitioners ... yet I'm curious if anoone has had one bad spinal with a reasonably sucessful one at a later time. i certainly want to avoid general anesthesia for other reasons ( high CPK the last time with use of succinlycholine in ? 1998). So despite all- I'd prefer spinal. Thoughts?
 
I'm sorry you are still struggling with this, @spaniel. I'm glad to read you have a good team in place to support you but certainly understand why you might be feeling anxious about future surgery.

I did a quick search of forum history using the term traumatic spinal, but didn't find any threads mentioning it. If you want to dive deeper trying different terminology, you can use the Search button at the far right side of the blue tool bar above. Hope you can find some helpful information.
 
Thanks.I’m in decent shape now. But I don’t want to make a reckless choice like i did for hip in2022. Thanks for your reply.i’m 72 and yea knee will need to be done at some point and other hip but not urgent.
 
I had an anterior hip replacement 2022 . I have a long saga about complications that I have generally overcome. But this is new. I started pelvic floor exercises that might be putting a strain on that hip area. ( I’ve been doing this with a PT for mildmoderate bladder issues). Mind you I walk fine( ish) and that’s not really when it hurts! It’s more when sitting. Warm packs maybe???
 
Good morning spaniel,
I remember you from when I first joined here.
If I have an achy part I go for combo of heating pad & ice off and on.
Any new activity can put a strain on our body parts so not unusual to hear you are achy in a different area. Only other suggestion would be to take a few days off from the exercise & see if that helps.
 
Hi Spaniel,
We moved your recent update to your original recovery thread since it contains your history, making it easier for you to have it all in one place for later reference. I agree that you're likely putting a little extra strain on muscles / tendons in the area and a good way to tell is by stopping the exercise for a few days to see if it settles. When you start back, proceed slowly in building reps and intensity. Wishing you comfort and hopes it eases. Please keep us posted.
@spaniel
 
I’ve been doing this with a PT
Definitely share this new discomfort in your hip with your therapist. It may be possible to modify the exercise to take the strain off the hip -- or he/she might be able to give you some exercises to address a weak area in your hip.

Keep us posted.
 
What exercises are you doing for your bladder control problems? I experienced a similar problem and my therapy to strengthen the pelvic floor was all done lying down so it did not put strain on other areas.
 
Good morning spaniel,
I remember you from when I first joined here.
If I have an achy part I go for combo of heating pad & ice off and on.
Any new activity can put a strain on our body parts so not unusual to hear you are achy in a different area. Only other suggestion would be to take a few days off from the exercise & see if that helps.
I remember you too! It is odd that it feels better when I walk ( as opposed to sitting). Thanks
 
What exercises are you doing for your bladder control problems? I experienced a similar problem and my therapy to strengthen the pelvic floor was all done lying down so it did not put strain on other areas.
So-three are lying down: one with arms on flirt and butt on back of knees, two lying facing the ceiling and with legs out heels touching, other with legs up as if in a high stirrup, and fourth is with butt down almost like what is often called Asian squat. I did mention to this pT who only does pelvic floor and she said to modify the fourth. I’m not convinced any are helping that much so I’ll just take it easier!!!Thanks
 
I’ve been doing this with a PT
Definitely share this new discomfort in your hip with your therapist. It may be possible to modify the exercise to take the strain off the hip -- or he/she might be able to give you some exercises to address a weak area in your hip.

Keep us posted.
Thanks. She only does bladder PT-! For hip ( should this continue) I’d go back to my hip PT who was beyond excellent and knows the entirely wild study! Thanks
 
Good morning spaniel,
I remember you too! It is odd that it feels better when I walk ( as opposed to sitting). Thanks
My favorite two positions are up and walking or lying down! I still cannot sit for long periods of time. I just get too stiff. I think my max sitting time is 2-3 hours if we have company but I’m usually getting up and down to refill drinks or serve food.
Hope you get your issue resolved.
 
Strengthening the pelvic floor can take quite a while, so don’t give up on the exercises just yet. However, if your hip continues to hurt, I agree with your idea to take it easy for a while and see if things improve. It is possible that one or more of the exercises is impacting your hip. I can see that the exercise you describe as the Asian Squat might be a problem unless your hip muscles are very loose and flexible. Input from your hip therapist would probably help.
 
@spaniel I had issues about 5 years ago and had a hysterectomy with pelvic floor repair for prolapse. I had a great pelvic floor PT post op. When I complained about pain in other places (like back and hip) she did some manual pressure point releases for tight muscles in the pelvic area (including the iliopsoas.) It helped tremendously. So, you might ask your therapist if she’s able to add that to your regimen. It might be a little tender afterwards but nothing a little ice or heat won’t take care of. It was well worth it. Best wishes going forward.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom