Guest viewing is limited

TKR Several Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Birdie, try to relax---no two knees are alike--each one heals at its own pace. So just because Ms Right knee was a little further along, it does not mean anything. At your stage of recovery, I was lying in bed with my knee up on three pillows for about 70% of the day. Are you elevating properly?

Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

At one month, you should be able to walk around fairly easily. How much help does your mom require? If necessary, you could probably get a home health aid to stop in once a day to help her bathe and get up. also, you can get Meals on Wheels for both of you for a nominal fee. Here in Whitefish, we call the Senior Center and they order the meals--depending on your health and income they can cost up to $3 a day but are free for most folks.)

I think you will be able to manage just fine---don't underestimate yourself. If you need help---can you ask the ladies at your church? your friends? Your husband?
 
Thank you so much for reminding me to relax. I have to do that a lot of times through the day. Mostly because I allow my family to cause me to feel stressed. That is a whole 'nother blog. Also, thanks so much for posting the correct elevation positions. It will be a good review for me in remembering, and I can always go back to it. I don't know if my aunt will leave this week or next, but I feel she is ready to leave. No, my husband and I are not in church together and have not been throughout our marriage. I was in church and left the church I had gone to for eight years. Since then, I have not found a new church family. That will be a priority on my list when I am able to function better. I have tried many things in the past to get help for my mom, to no avail. She makes just a little bit over in social security to keep her from qualifying for medicaid help. We used to have a meals on wheels here, but I believe those kinds of helps have fallen by the wayside. However, I do know one option to try for getting her help through a PPL (I think that is what they call it). It has nothing to do with medicaid. I have to call the district # to get the information again, and I will locate someone, somehow for help. I do everything in my power to stay positive under my circumstances. My life is not bad, but a lot is left to be desired in the way of my husband's compassion. Again, another blog. Please keep me in thought and/or prayer. I find my positive supports in many other places. Thank you again!!
 
You do have positives in your life---it was so generous of your aunt to help you like this. and, I also struggled with getting help for my mother and father. I had the most success after i contacted the Agency on Aging---I met a lovely social worker there who knew the ropes and was very helpful. but, yes, that is a stressor in life that I have also dealt with as well.

I have learned that I also have to take care of myself. My husband has severe heart disease and although he is kind and does do as many things as he can---a lot falls onto my shoulders. I find that I have to make sure that I take care of me--number one in my life!!! I take a daily walk with the dog---and I find the joy of walking the same walk through some woods near our house and seeing the changing of the seasons--welcoming the trillium in the spring and realizing that the asters signal the end of the summer flowers. I go out to coffee at Starbucks or to lunch often---with a friend most often.

I am an Episcopalian and enjoy the outreach of our church. We do community dinners twice a month and I enjoy doing something for others---the Dalai Lama says that we find true happiness when we make our life other centered. I am glad to have a church family---they brought us dinners for 10 days after my tkrs. We don't have family here in Montana, so our friends are important to us.

Most of all---you are at the start of a new life minus painful, debilitating knees!!! As your knees heal, you can embrace that life and find some interesting things to do and enjoy!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Birdie1
Skigirl is right, no 2 knees are alike. Just like people. But recovery is happening. Your leg will start to lose the swelling, start loosening up, will feel good going to pt, being able to shop, walk without pain. The last two I look forward to.
I'm sorry about your mom. Call every elderly help line that there is. I know there is help out there for her. Burn the phone lines!! I know it's hard on you recovering and trying to be there for her. And praise God for your aunt!! She is an awesome lady with all the help she has given.
Look at your positives even with the negatives that are there.
And Birdie I will be praying for you.
Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Skigirl, I appreciate your kindness. I spend much time in visualization of positive forces. Prayer and meditation are the things that sustain me. Interesting you are Episcopalian. I was confirmed into the Episcopal church during my undergraduate years; 1984 to be exact.:SUNsmile: Since I settled in southwest Virginia with my husband, I have been involved in community churches, and visited the historical Episcopal church in our town several times. I really feel I belong in the Episcopal church more than most any other denomination. There, I don't have to check my brain at the door. :) I feel when I am able to stand on both feet well, I will focus on going back to church simply to focus...if that makes sense. I don't believe one has to go to any church in order to be faithful to their beliefs, but church as certainly been a means of helping me focus my life and time throughout each week. I digress. Today I went to physical therapy and it was good. My therapists have only been working with my leg on stretching for the three weeks I have gone. And, at the end of each session, I rest with ice and electrodes before I leave. So far, so good. I remember panicking the same way in May of this year when I had my right knee done. I panic when I feel I won't walk normally again, and when I don't feel progress each day. Well, I am off to bed now. Off from therapy tomorrow, and that tickles me because I go three times a week, and it's nice to have a day in between. Hope you have a good day tomorrow, and a good rest of the week.:chillpill:
 
Hello Everyone. I am three weeks out of TKR on the left knee this time. I have been fretting because I still am unable to flex my leg past 90 degrees. With effort and pain from the PT, I have flexed to 101. My fear is that as time goes on, my knee will set and my flexion won't improve. Before my surgery this knee flexed to 122 comfortably. My right knee, which was replaced in May of this year can flex to 125 at rest. Please keep me in your thoughts as I continue to work. Looking forward to being able to peddle the bike someday. Then, my worries will subside.:boohoo:
 
Thank you so much, Appaloosa, for your kind words!
 
Hi @Birdie1. Hoping today will be a great day for you. Sounds like you are moving along at a good rate.
I know that I would love to hurry along the recovery part. Can't but it would be nice.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Birdie...you keep staying positive and focus on the things that bring you peace of mind. I wished I had found this forum before my 3 months post TKR. I have learned so much the past week. Information, support and comfort in sharing. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! I'll keep checking in on you!


July 14th, 2014 Left Total Knee Replacement
 
90 degrees at three weeks is just fine. :thumb: You will continue to gain. It just takes time. Keep up with the rest, ice, elevation and exercises that challenge you to go just past the comfort zone.
 
Thank you, MoPeaches, and Kneeper! I am grateful to have found this site in May. I find such comfort here in times of anguish. It really helps to hear that 90 degrees is fine at three weeks. Monday will actually make four weeks, and today I was able to flex to 113 on my own. Yay!! It's not every day that I will do that, but eventually maybe it will be more often than not. Last night whenever I awoke from sleep, I gently rubbed and massaged my leg. It is comforting to do, and it must have been a big help because today therapy was good. One day at a time...:fingersx:
 
Hi Birdie1
Fantastic on your rom. I got past 100 yesterday. And rode the bike too!! I was excited with that one.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
PLEASE HELP!!
I had been doing better, and I was able to flex to 113 on my own last week at therapy. Went to therapy on Wednesday, and the assistant therapist did lots of work on me...stretching, in order for me to be re-evaluated by the PT for insurance. The assistant is a veteran, and has always had an excellent reputation. I never considered it was anything to do with the work we did on Wednesday, and still can't be sure. But, on Thursday, I did a lot of stretching in bed and when I sat in my chair, trying to get my leg as straight as possible. Didn't focus so much on flexing that day. On Friday, I was so sore in my hamstring, I cancelled my appointment with physical therapy for the first time. My aunt left that day as well. I spent extra time lying down and took my meds. Today, I tried to no avail to be able to flex and cannot do what I was doing last week in therapy; not even close. I had begun to walk with my cane, and now I hobble and need to use the walker again. I am having gut wrenching fears that something is wrong, or that the PTA or myself did something to me that is not good. I have cried...and gotten more emotional after all that was subsiding last week. My mother, whom I've told you folks about, is difficult for me mentally and emotionally at this time. My aunt is no longer here to help after five weeks of doing everything, and my world is upside down because the pain is excruciating and it was not that way just a few days ago. I am having pain in my buttocks as well on that leg, and it all feels connected into the knee area and the calve. All my weight is in my stomach and I have known for years what that is doing to my small hips and every other small part of my body. I dare say that a little less than half my weight of being overweight, is in my stomach. I am screaming inside my heart, mind and spirit. I was just informed I received the full time employment at my work that I have wanted so badly. So that when I am released to return to work, I will have that wonderful thing. However, now I fear this pain, and possible setback could cause me to lose my job if I can't get back when I've proposed. All these fears, and mixed emotions are definitely not helping my present situation. For those of you who pray, please remember me. And, if you don't pray, please send good thoughts into the universe for me. To me, the positives all come out the same. I really, really need to talk to someone. I am thinking I will get into counseling for some of the stuff regarding my mom and how she is changing. I could use a bit of help now before then, regarding my knee and what possible thing could have happened since Wednesday, or is happening. Many thanks! And, I hope all of you are doing very well:bawl:
 
Please don't worry or stress!

I think that what has happened is that your well-meaning physiotherapist did a bit too much with you and your knee is giving you a message that it needs a rest. I don't think you've done any permanent damage - it's just that the soft tissues have got inflamed as a protest.

Try doing very little except rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock for several days and see if there's any improvement.

Have you read these articles?
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
You can continue to improve your ROM for a year or more after a TKR, so there's no need to rush.
 
Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way, this is just a temporary set back. Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate, allow your knee to heal.
 
Birdie,
Every knee is very different, as you are experiencing right now. I don't think it's a good idea for you to be caring for someone else right now. Do you have family or friends who can take over doing things for your mom? Your knee still needs to be elevated and iced and rested a lot more than the first one did. Please don't do too much. -- Joni


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks to you all for listening and understanding. I believe you are correct that the PTA did too much. I was very tired that day from not sleeping well, and she pushed more than she ever has with me. Some of the other PTA's push normally; but, this lady never did. I'm sorry, but it makes me feel angry towards her. I don't know whether to say anything to the staff or not. And, Djbrund, you are very, very correct that I do not need to be caring for my mother at present. The problem is, my aunt was already here and lived with us for five weeks to help with me and my mother. Of course, I paid her well because I would have needed to pay someone else, but she had to go home at some point. Now, I don't have a clue as to who can or will help me. I am going to begin phoning all the people who may help through the District programs. I am so frustrated, because my mother made just a few dollars more than would have allowed her to be able to obtain supplemental assistance through medicaid. Part of the problem is deeper than this as well. I have a lot of decisions to make about my mother, in relation to my going back to work. The pressure of this setback and the fact my aunt left which leaves me to take care of my mother is overwhelming. God Bless you all for your feedback. (((Hugs))):cry:
 
@Birdie1 I think related to your knee you have guidance/short term plan. I know the reality of following that plan is another thing since you must balance the caring for your mom as well. Do the best you can with that balance but try to focus on your needs related to that knee.
Please do explore community services for your mom...like senior services, call some local county/district churches (even if you are not s member: as my Catholic Church does local community services for non-parish members, too). Ask for your Auntie's help again maybe for a shorter term timeframe (even a week would help). All they can say is No. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
:flwrysmile:
-Mary
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Birdie1,
I have been deeply involved with my Mother since she fell a month ago, I understand how hard it is to take care of Mom, and your knee and everything else at the same time.
I hope you can find the services in your community to reduce your stress, and find some care for your Mother.
:console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom