TKR SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
My blood pressure has been normal since the surgery and have been on pain meds. Well... That changed. Last dose of meds was at 8 pm last night. I took my blood pressure 30 minutes ago and it was 132 over 72. I definitely beleive there is a connection between them. Maybe the discomfort caused the elevation? I am going to now take my meds, knee is getting grouchy.
 
It's pretty well accepted that pain can raise the blood pressure.
 
Sounds like you are quite normal in your latest symptoms. It will gradually improve though.
I used the cane for about 6 weeks on my first knee--though by the end it was mostly just for security and to ease the strain on the knee for longer walks out of the house. There is no rush or prize to get rid of it early. :wink:
Oh, I wouldn't think of going outside without my cane - LOL! In the apartment I can hold onto a piece of furniture if I get wobbly but can't do that in the street.
 
The Boyfriend asked when we could remove the toilet seat riser and I told him to take it off. Figured that if I couldn't bend my knee enough without pain, we could always put it back on. Well, he took it off and it worked out OK! I have to ease myself down a little but I only have to bring my foot slightly forward of the other one. I'm really pleased since I'm at 28 days since the surgery and I haven't had any outpatient PT yet because I'm having trouble finding a facility that takes my insurance. Also, with temps in the teens and wind chills at minus numbers, it's too flipping cold to go out anyway! :-) I've just been walking around the apartment, doing the exercises my in-home PT gave me a couple of weeks ago, doing some light cooking and going up and down the stairs occasionally. Feels like progress! :-)
 
Nice progress! I was so determined to avoid risers that I had new, taller toilets installed before surgery. I finally removed the padded support arms last week. Isn't it nice to lose the extra clutter when you don't need it anymore? My shower chair (aka "glorified loofa shelf") is next!
 
LOL - I was thinking about my shower chair also! Not getting rid if it just yet though because I'm experiencing occasional knee buckling when I'm walking around the apartment. As I understand it, it happens because my quads aren't strong enough yet so I don't want to take a chance on that happening in the shower. We have those grab bars on the shower walls that you can attach wherever you want them but I think they're more for steadying yourself rather than putting your full weight on them. Bathrooms are already the #1 room for home accidents as it is, and small wonder: water and hard surfaces = recipe for disaster! So I think I'll hold on to the shower chair for a couple more weeks! :-)
 
Well I am 4 months out and I still have mine! Sometimes I still use the arms to help me step in & out over the tile lip.
 
Hello, I'm a newbie to this site today, so am all over the place soaking up information pre- and post replacement. I need left TKR, and am just starting the process of talking to docs about types of appliances and their philosophies, etc. PT stories from friends who have had surgeries scared me a bit so reading your dialogs is very helpful. This is an amazing forum and eventually I will find the area that corresponds to where I am at with all of this, but thanks for the help you have already given. My best to you all.
 
@Sedona - if you hover over the tab at the top that says "knee replacement" it will have a drop down for Pre-op and recovery threads. If you go to the Pre-op section you can create your own thread with any questions you want to ask and let us know about you and where you are in the process.

@SeptemberZen - am I the only one who actually likes sitting to take a shower? I think it's awesome :-)
 
Teresa - It IS kind of cool, isn't it? LOL! Felt strange at first but now I love it. My only issue is that the shower head attachment is too smooth. When my hands are wet and soapy, it's a bit of an effort to keep the spray from going outside of the tub.
 
Aha - the secret is out, I'm not the only one! I have a walk in shower that's pretty huge so no issues there for me...maybe some temporary grip tape?
 
Lucky you! I have a standard sized tub so the chair JUST fits. If the legs were an inch wider, I'd be out of luck! Grip tape - why didn't I think of that? :)
 
Great report!
 
I just posted this elsewhere but decided to copy it into my own thread. :-)

One month for me today! Haven't done outpatient PT yet so have no idea how to "officially" measure my progress. But I've noticed that I can do things I couldn't do before, namely, use the toilet WITHOUT the riser, sit fairly comfortably for an hour or so at the diner, go up and downstairs (one at a time) pretty easily, step into and out of the tub to use the shower chair, etc. Knee still puffy, tight and stiff but when I do my daily exercises, I have much more bend than I did a week ago. Also taking fewer meds than I was. Still need my Percocets at night, though. A good night's sleep is still elusive.

Still a few weeks out from being able to manage my commute to work, but happy with my progress so far.
 
Hi @SeptemberZen, and welcome :welome: to BS (BoneSmart). I know exactly how you must feel as I felt along with so many of us here the same way about finding this forum. Congratulations!! on your one month Annkneevesary :yay: Continue to do well. So glad to hear you are getting around well. Rest, elevate, and pain meds and just take one day at a time. Take good care of yourself. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Happy One Month September Zen! I haven't been on to post lately. Not sure why. I think the more time we can get behind us the better off we are. I'm still having major issues with sleep at night.It just seems that's when I have more discomfort and I can't sleep then. I did sleep last night from like 1:45 AM (this morning) to 5:15, got up used the bathroom , laid back down till after noon, but I was going on only three hours sleep the night before. I should be sleeping right now because I won't be sleeping in this morning. I have my six week follow up with the doctor that was canceled Monday due to snow. Now I'm praying that I get into the doctor and back home tomorrow before the bad weather they are predicting starts back up.one good thing about some of this bad weather is that they have called school off. When they do that, it's saving me from using one of my sick days. I think they have been off four days due to bad weather, or the cold and two holidays, so that is six sick days I've saved. I'm glad about that!! I, like you, find that I can do a bit more daily.Yesterday was the first day that I didn't use the cane at all around the house. I've always needed it first thing in the morning and in the middle of the night when getting up. I'm finding that getting in & out of bed is easier and getting up & down off the toilet is easier too. I just feel like I'm moving around better......so that's progress.
Is it just me, or do you experience a tuff time emotionally off and on. I'm not sure why, but Sunday I was crying a big part of the day. I still have moments and it seems it comes out of no where. I was watching a funny movie Sunday afternoon and found myself crying during it. That may have something to do with my kiddos. My daughter lives in Cali and expecting her first baby and I hate that we're apart and I'm not getting to be with her during this time. It makes me sad that I'm going to have a grand baby so far away. I have a son that lives here in town, but boys are different and he can be a big poop. I have two precious grandsons that are his that I haven't seen in over a month. I think my son is lacking in the sympathy & empathy department majorly !!
Trying to figure out now, how much longer that I think I need to be off work. I still can't imagine sitting at a desk for seven hours without having a good amount of discomfort. I'm so sorry.... I guess I should be rambling on my own thread instead of yours, but I was having trouble finding it.Happened to run across your One Month Post and it was good to hear good news....happy for you!
ConnieJo RTKR 1/05/2015
 
(((ConnieJo))) -We are here for each other! Never worry about posting in "my" thread! I post all over the place - LOL! I have been online for more than 20 years and was even a webmaster for several years and still find these kinds of forums not so easy to navigate!
Thanks for the good words and congrats on YOUR progress as well! Fantastic!

I have not experienced the feelings of being sad or weepy but from reading many, many posts in this forum, I understand that this is VERY common! We are in pain or discomfort much of the time, our mobility and independence has been curtailed, our appetite is down and our sleep has been affected. If thats not something to cry about occasionally I don't know what is, honey! I miss my coworkers and being around more people. Next week will be both my mother's and daughter's birthdays, the 23rd and 24th. For the past several years, I have organized a restaurant outing for them, invited friends and family and bought a cake, balloons, the whole works! Well, obviously that will NOT be happening this year! I feel badly about it but it is what it is, and everybody understands.
I, too, am concerned about using up all my saved time at work, but you know what? *I* am not in charge; my KNEE is! :)

One day at a time, honey!
Sending ((HUGS)) across the miles...
 
So glad your emotions aren't taking you on a roller coaster ride.....I would rather get off this ride, if you know what I mean. Thanks for your support!
 
My boyfriend is being a little pushy about my getting PT but I pointed out to him that I don't believe in the 'no pain no gain' thing and that I think I am doing pretty OK so far. He means well, for sure, but I don't like the feeling of being rushed. I just downloaded an app to measure my ROM but in the interim I've noticed that when I am sitting I can bend my knee at slightly more than a 90 degree angle -- no real pain but it feels very stiff at that angle -- and that suits me just fine for now. A week and a half ago, I couldn't do that and now that I have the app, I'm curious about it. I'm not one to get caught up in numbers but I'd like a way to gauge my progress until I find a PT -- or in case I DON'T find one before I have to go back to work.

Anyway -- I finally had that 'moment of weepiness' that I've heard so much about! Have been through a lot in life and I'm made out of pretty tough stuff so I don't cry easily. I didn't completely get it when I read others here talking about being depressed. But, out of the clear blue the other day, I got a moment of cabin fever as well as impatience about my knee feeling stiff and swollen all the time. I wanted to go back to work at 6 weeks but all indications are that I will need at least 8. I'm at 5 weeks now and my doctor has cleared me for 12 but don't know if the budget can handle that; I'm almost out of paid sick leave. Boyfriend and I are financially stable but still, I don't like being out of work for too long. I got really sad and frustrated for a few minutes, but then pulled it together and realized again that it is what it is and rushing it would be detrimental. Luckily, the weepies didn't last too long and I just wanted to say again, THANKS! -- to all of you for being here. It helps! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom