TKR SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started on hbp meds just prior to the surgery, maybe 2-3 months. My pressure had started spiking up whenever I was stressed, sometimes as high as 174/94, and then it would float back to normal the next day. I resisted taking meds forever thinking lifestyle changes would take care of it. I quit smoking and tried to lose weight, but my mom and both sisters are on hbp meds so I guess it was inevitable.
Since the surgery, my bp has been normal to low normal, ranging from 110/70 to 130/82. I take Carvedilol twice a day. I've been wondering if I should stop taking it but I'm going to continue for now and talk to my primary doc about it soon.
Sleep patterns are ok, but I'm a lifelong chronic insomniac, so it's hard to tell if there's any real difference.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been wondering if I should stop taking it but I'm going to continue for now and talk to my primary doc about it soon.
Don't stop taking anything until you talk to your doctor.

I have some BP issues---not a huge deal---and my GP told me that, with weight loss, I may be able to go off of them. I lost the weight but my BP stayed the same.

He also said that, for some, BP elevation has no reason.
 
I normally have high blood pressure but since my surgery it has been completely normal. I know pain can elevate the blood pressure so I am assuming it is that or maybe the pain meds.

I have cut my 10 mg of Percocet in half and still take a whole one before pt.

Regarding the stiffness and hardness in the joint, the pt told me to start massaging my knee, but not directly on the scar. This helps break up the scar tissue and it does help. I use oil to lubricate the skin. Sit in a chair, knee extended and relaxed. Take the patella between your thumb and index finger, and slowly and gently move it in all directions. Up, down, and side to side. Move patella in one direction as far as possible, and then hold for 15 seconds. Repeat in all 4 directions eventually holding for 90 to 120 seconds. This is supposed to " remodel the scar tissue".

I started this on week 3 but before that, I was massaging, with my thumbs, on both sides of my scar, using an up and down motion, alternating with small circles. This worked for me and maybe it will for you too. It is hard to move when the knee is so tight. I too have some numbness. Take care.
 
I normally have high blood pressure but since my surgery it has been completely normal. I know pain can elevate the blood pressure so I am assuming it is that or maybe the pain meds.
There is no connection between high blood pressure and pain meds.
I have cut my 10 mg of Percocet in half and still take a whole one before pt.
At 3 weeks out? That, if I may say so, is more than a little unwise and maybe even foolhardy. You need your pain meds right now - regularly as per our mantra.
Regarding the stiffness and hardness in the joint, the pt told me to start massaging my knee, but not directly on the scar. This helps break up the scar tissue
Trust me, the last thing you want is to have your scar tissue broken up! If it was, your wound would just fall open and you'd get a first hand introduction to the implants! Well, not really but what you are probably thinking about is adhesions and in no way could you have adhesions so early as 3 weeks out. It just doesn't happen.

What you are talking about is the stiffness of the wound scar which will naturally be a bit stiff at this stage. I know whereof I speak as I am just 5 weeks out myself. But interfering with the wound at three weeks is inadvisable so I strongly suggest you leave this 'therapy' until about 5 weeks out when it will make your wound feel a bit more supple and comfortable. But now is too soon and could cause your newly healed wound to break down. If you look at this article, you will see that deep tissues can take deep tissues (muscles and fascia) can take up to 4-6 weeks to properly heal. Healing: how long does it take?
 
very interesting...thank you for the information!
 
My blood pressure has also become normal since the surgery, or even a bit low. I don't know why but I'm happy about it! Still taking my hypertension meds each day and monitoring it regularly.

New subject: I was able to walk around my carpeted apartment today without my cane- yay! Did a little cooking too but am learning that slow and steady wins the race. Energy level and appetite are still fairly low, 3 weeks out....
 
Yay! Good for you! At three weeks I was still depending pretty heavily on the cane. Starting to walk around a little bit more each day without it now. Still use it in the middle of the night when I get up to use the restroom though. Sounds like you're coming along great....keep it up!
ConnieJo RTKR 1/05/2015
 
What a nice update- I'm glad you're feeling better. At 3 weeks out I was still pretty reliant on the cane. Up to six weeks I'd totter around my home touching walls & counter-tops, but take the cane for outings. I still use a trekking pole for hikes on uneven ground.
 
I'm constantly reminded that my former PT told me, "Be patient. Some days you will wake up and be able to do something you couldn't do the day before. " I wanted something on the other side of the living room and was halfway across when I realized I didn't have my cane - LOL! But I'm walking VERY stiffly and I'm on carpet. Not exactly zooming around the apartment! I also grab the furniture if I need to while I'm wandering around.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
There is most certainly a correlation between high blood pressure and pain meds and you should consult your Physician if you have concern...persons of color have a genetic tendency for HBP as you know...I have been on HBP meds for almost 30 years and last year my pressure spiked and when I went to my GP he said are you taking anything over the counter like Aleve? and when I told him I started taking them for knee pain he told me to stop right away...pressure was normal the next day...you can tinker around with your pain meds but do not change your pressure medications without consulting your physician......Every medication,even aspirin , has side effects and blood pressure is nothing to fool around with...

Vinny
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My BP went very low for a couple of weeks after surgery, but returned to a slight high after two weeks, and I reumed the low dose of meds I'm taking. I think it's pretty common that the meds have a sedative effect.
 
My BP went very low for a couple of weeks after surgery, but returned to a slight high after two weeks, and I reumed the low dose of meds I'm taking. I think it's pretty common that the meds have a sedative effect.
I think you might be right about that! My BP has been near perfect ever since my surgery 3 weeks ago, even a little low.
 
So... I'm walking around my carpeted apartment without my cane some of the time. Only 3.5 weeks out, I'm still a little shaky but can get around the apartment OK, cooking, getting to the bathroom, etc., except that every now and again, it feels like my new bionic knee is about to buckle. Is that unusual?
 
Buckle as in buckle forward? If so, I get that and am told it's caused by an atrophied/traumatized quadriceps muscle that forgets to fire. Maybe not everyone gets it, but it's not uncommon. I am coming up on 4 months and still get the occasional forward buckle. Your knee shouldn't buckle backwards or to either side. Careful- don't fall!
 
Whew - thanks! Figured it might be something like that. And yes, it's forward, not backward or either side. Thats why I only go "cane-less" in the apartment; my rooms aren't very big and I can always grab some nearby furniture if I need to.
 
Exactly, I was cane free around the house -touching walls & furniture- long before I stopped using it outside. It sounds like you're doing great, and don't worry that quad will come around when it's ready.
 
I had one backward buckle early on and a few forward buckles but nothing since week 4 or so....many TKR's remove the ACL(front) and retain the PCL(back) and until you rebuild the ligaments and tendons again it can feel loose but that will pass....keep the cane until you are sure of yourself as the knees themselves are difficult to hurt unless you fall.....you are doing great...keep monitoring your BP until it is stabilized as every med has a different side effect...

Vinny
 
The nerve pain is SO aggravating.:-( The general achiness is bad enough but the nerve pain is something else altogether! I'm trying to think of this as a good thing because I know that it means that the nerves are waking up and regenerating. But the stabbing pains feel like someone is poking me with a cattle prod! LOL! Celebrex helps but I'm only allowed one a day, along with the Percocet which I take every 4 - 6 hours.
 
[QUOTE="vinny, post: 743235, member: ..keep monitoring your BP until it is stabilized as every med has a different side effect...

Vinny[/QUOTE]
BP is doing great! 123/81 this morning. :-)
 
Sounds like you are quite normal in your latest symptoms. It will gradually improve though.
I used the cane for about 6 weeks on my first knee--though by the end it was mostly just for security and to ease the strain on the knee for longer walks out of the house. There is no rush or prize to get rid of it early. :wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom