• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR September 7 RTHR :) - a bit worried though..

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hello :wave:
If you're feeling discomfort by evening through over activity, please dial it back a little....and ice in the evenings. You can ice for months to come if you feel the need. Feeling stiff or sore for the first several steps upon rising is normal. You're only six weeks post op and there was a lot that was disturbed underneath the surface that is still healing and will be for months to come.

There's no shame in using an assistive device at only six weeks post op so please don't work hard at accepting it, just forget about it and soon, without thought, you will begin leaving it across the room more frequently, as well as purposely setting it aside for longer periods of time. Continue the heel-toe walking as you've mentioned. I found it really helpful in losing my limp.

If you're fortunate enough to be able to get more time off work, I'd recommend taking it, with a Phased Return if possible. I'll leave you an article that reflects an example of a gradual re-entry into the workplace.

You're doing great. Keep it up. I hope you have a nice week!
@Sashka567

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
The groin pain seems to be settling but I find if I've been walking around a lot and then sit down, when I get up I'm really sore for the first two - three steps and then I'm o.k, particularly in the gluteal/backside region.. has anyone else experienced this?
Yes ma'am! Those stutter steps are quite common.
It will get easier with more time.:yes:

I'm working really hard on accepting the fact that I still need my crutch but I am walking around without it too and trying to practice heal to toe.. it looks a bit better but still a long way to go
You really are doing well, so as Layla says...dont be hard on yourself.
We had a hip replacement! It definitely gave me my life back.

I've been trying to ice in the evening and feel like I need to talk to my boss about a graduated return to work coz I don't feel ready to go back full time as of next week..
Glad to hear you are still icing.
If you can, do it done in the day while resting.
It really helps and chilling means you also have to chill.:ice:
I think giving yourself some extra time would be great...hope your boss is accomadating.

Slow and steady DOES win this race!
Keep the faith @Sashka567

OP
OP
S

Sashka567

Country
Australia Australia
*****Week 7 Update*****

Hey all,

So I flew back to Australia (21 hour flight) last week and found I did pretty well for the first leg of the journey, the remaining 14.5 hours caused some pain and discomfort when I got off but I have never felt as good as I did coming off a flight, my hips were moving freely regardless of any discomfort. Since I landed I've been walking around much better unassisted to the point where I have not been using the cane although in the evenings I find I am in more pain, its like a dull ache just below my glute.. not sure if anyone has experienced this?

Today was my first day back at work and although it is an office job a lot is involved (as mentioned in the return to work article) in terms of getting to work (commuting on a train - 45 mins), going up and down flights of stairs, walking around the office and going back home, namely, getting back on the train, up and down stairs etc. I found by the time I got home from work I needed the cane and was in pain when I'd sit down and get up before I'd take a few steps.. I did not use the cane all day and don't have the option of taking anymore time off work so I have to go back full time although there will be days where I'll be getting driven into work and other days I'll be able to work from home. My boss saw me today and said I'm walking so much better then before surgery but I still am having pain which is familiar and that scares me.. I guess I'm kind of upset that I can't focus on rest and recuperation anymore and have to work as well as the fact that I'm still experiencing pain but I'm trying to tell myself that at 7 weeks its super early and this is quite normal especially given how much I'm pushing it :(

Also, I am constantly expecting pain and that scares me, like when I stand after sitting I just expect to be as bad as I was before and even though I'm not as bad I'm still not good and then I panic and feel like I'll never be whole again. I recognise I am doing really well to be able to walk around and get to work without an assistive device and be limping only slightly but I still am scared the pain will never go away especially when I look at someone like Andy Murray who's playing professional tennis again after some 6 months (silly example I know but can't help it).

Anyway, words of encouragement in this situation would help, how do I focus on myself and recovery while working full time too? I just want to go slow..

P.s. If this post isn't too coherent its because I am still recovering from jet lag too, I've been waking up at 4am and going to work soon after.

Thanks again for the support everyone..

xx

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:console2:I think you've cracked the door open to The Overdid It Club.
Having such a long flight to "get over" and then back to work :sigh:
It IS very early days.
I also went back to work very early and there were daily repercussions.
It never seemed to hurt until I stopped.
I was exhausted because the energy drain is certainly real, and found myself immediately assuming the position ...elevating and icing for the rest of the evening.
I think you should consider bringing your cane for some time (to baby that leg some and remind your boss you are still recovering) and have access to ice while sitting.
Aches and pains in the glutes and quads were regular occurrences at this stage for me but overdoing things on still healing hips can initiate chronic issues like tendonitis so you really have to try not to do anything to excess right now.
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged, but please understand you're in the early days of recovery in the whole scheme of things. At only seven weeks post op you recently added some stressors to your recovery. The twenty-one hour flight last week being one, then the return to work. The fact that you're in pain and needing a cane upon returning home is a clear indication you're over doing it.

Feeling some pain at seven weeks post op isn't that unusual in itself but I believe yours is mainly from over activity. If you're unable to take additional time off work, the best you can do for several more weeks is rest and not do much more than that in the evenings after work. Ice and use OTC pain relievers if need be until you're feeling stronger and more well rested.

It will get better. It takes time and lots of patience. As Mojo mentioned, use the cane for as long as you're limping and practice heel-toe walking.

Ice more often as it's a great pain reliever. Bring gel ice packs to work to store in a community freezer and if there isn't one, consider a small cooler desk side getting you through the next several weeks until you're feeling more comfortable.

Wishing you comfort and a good week. Take it slow and easy.
You will get there!
@Sashka567

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I couldn't say it any better than what Layla posted above. Ok, Layla always says it better :heehee:
Yes, you feel the need to be there at work so just grab every moment to rest that you can.
I would return home and just flop with my ice packs, if I were you.
That's how I handled it when I returned to work.

So glad the flights went as well as could be expected.
Oh and I felt discouraged a few times when the groin pain felt a bit too familiar and wondered if all was well in that hip. All of that is mostly gone now at 4 months. There are still days of twinges and aches but so much less.. You will get there too.
@Sashka567

kfisher119

Country
You and I had out THRs at the same time (mine was 9/6). I’m experiencing almost everything exactly as you describe. So please, don’t worry so much that something is wrong. I can especially appreciate that feeling of pain and stiffness you describe when you first get up after sitting. I’m dealing with the same thing and it is frustrating. After 7 weeks, we’re ready to be fine. I don’t know about your OS but mine led me to believe that by 4 to 6 weeks everything would be great. I’ve still got a way to go to great but I’m starting to believe I will get there.

You’ve been through a lot, then that monster of a flight (I can’t imagine at this point) and your commute is not trivial. I’ll share that I’m keeping a cane at my office so it’s here when I need it and it does send a message that there’s still healing going on. If it’s too much hassle on your commute maybe you’d want to do the same just to keep it handy. I also have a couple of refreezable ice packs in the freezer at work. When something flares up, the ice is ready to go and seems to settle it down. Hang in there, it’s just going to take time. Too bad patience doesn’t come in a pill.

OP
OP
S

Sashka567

Country
Australia Australia
Hey all,

Thanks so much for the replies, it's been challenging physically, mentally and emotionally coming back and going straight to work. I wish I could have taken more time off but I've told my boss I'll be working from home tomorrow and potentially Friday which is a huge relief.

My boss actually commented and said I'm walking and moving so much better so that was good to hear coz I'm hurting right now. I iced at work today and just rest when I get home but I managed to go up a short hill this morning on my way in and that felt pretty good. The thing I'm worried about most right now is just overdoing it but I'm trying to make up for the walking with resting in the evenings. It's just that going from sitting to standing initially hurts and it feels like my whole thigh and glutes are aching but I'm not super stressed about it even though it hurts.. just want to hear that it's normal I suppose..

Thanks so much for the encouragement all, I'm well aware it's still super early days so just trying to stay positive.

OP
OP
S

Sashka567

Country
Australia Australia
Hey all,

Just a question relating to weight loss/gain after surgery. I initially lost a bit of weight but now i feel like it's creeping back up again and I can't exercise or walk long distances so early in my recovery (8 weeks now).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to lose weight whilst you're recovering or at least keep it off? I mean, I can swim but is that too strenuous? Cycle on low resistance? Or maybe just calorie control while I'm less active?

Any advice would be appreciated..

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I can swim but is that too strenuous
Swimming is a great exercise for a new hippie. I assume your surgeon released you to be able to swim?

I'm going to tag one of our members who swims and is also losing weight post op @SurreyGirl . It's tough if you still have mobility issues. But if you start slowly and listen to that new hip you should be fine.

SurreyGirl

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi
Tbh I put on weight in the first three months after the op. Although I was walking I needed the calories for recovery! After 3 months I started cutting back on calories by 500 less than my TDEE (look this up!) TDEE is the maintenance level of Cals and is based on your height weight and age. There are online tools to help you with this and My Fitness Pal is good for cal counting and is free.

I went back to swimming and do 45 minutes 2-3 times a week. This helps tone up but I think it is the calorie reduction that is helping me in the main. The swimming helps with stiffness. Do be careful not to overdo it though. I still can’t do frog kick but front crawl is fine.

for me 8 weeks out from the op would have been too soon for swimming but everyone’s recovery is different. You are doing the right thing by icing and elevating after work. Energy drain is still a real thing and also stiffness when getting up from sitting for long period is very normal. I can get out of a chair now without using my arms for the first time in years! Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sashka567

Country
Australia Australia
*** 10 week update***

Hey all,

I kind of wanted to lay low until the 3 month mark but I thought i'd touch base and give a bit of an update on how I'm going and where I'm at!

I didn't have a chance to work part time and ease into things so was forced to go back to full time work (albeit an office job) at 7 weeks. I struggled quite a lot initially but as the weeks have been going on I've been getting stronger. I no longer need an assistive device and around week 9 started to feel really well. I decided to try going into the pool and rejoin my gym, I feel like that caused a bit of a flare up even though I wasn't doing "much" according to my standards but I think I over-did it and have been struggling a bit with pain these last couple of weeks.

I still find I can't walk long distances but my gait is getting better day by day. I've cut back on the gym and the pool and during the week given I'm always working I try and get home and do nothing. I'd really like to start some PT and swim some more but I'm kind of in limbo as to how I should proceed 10 weeks out. On Saturday I went for a 500 metre swim and was a bit sore but nothing too out of the ordinary, on the Sunday I went for a 30 minute walk in the park and was a sore afterwards so I just iced and sat back.

I find I'm struggling a lot mentally and emotionally particularly with having to be at work and not being able to exercise, that was my outlet before. I'm also scared that these pains I have by the evening will be there forever, I find it's mostly achy in the back of the hip, the glute region but my mobility is better and overall I am so much better.

I guess I just wanted to check in and hear from everyone. I'm driving most days to and from work which is about an hour and a half each way or i'm taking the train, all this requires a lot of movement you wouldn't ordinarily think about like going up and down stairs, inclines, then fetching coffees with co-workers then walking around the office then going back home and doing it all again day in and day out. I'm worried about this pain in my glute and that I flared it up after going back to the gym.. hoping its something that is also just part of the process and will settle. I guess what upsets me is the fact that I haven't been able to focus on my recovery since being back home, I've just been thrown into full time work and its been go, go, go ever since I landed.. i'm trying to slow things down but it's a bit tough.

xx

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi, Thanks for updating. We're glad you didn't wait, it's good to hear from you.
It sounds like you're overdoing it and suffering the consequences. I think because you had no choice but to return to work at only seven weeks post op, as opposed the recommend twelve weeks, you should really scale back on activity for a few more weeks...then ever so slowly begin to engage.

If the activity you're engaging in is causing you excess fatigue, discomfort or pain, it's too much, too soon. Please listen to your body. "Pain is your body asking for change". I think for now you should stop the pool, the gym and reserve PT for further out. The three hours you spend driving in the car (round trip) or sitting on the train may also be excessive at this point of recovery, but since it's unavoidable, you really need to dial it back in other areas.

There is a possibility of developing chronic pain issues if you continue to push it. You had major surgery a mere two and a half months ago and this recovery can take up to a year, even longer for some. Going to work then coming home to chill, literally :ice: may be your best option for several more weeks.

Please find another outlet to help you cope mentally and emotionally for a time. It's for your own good. Look upon this surgery as an investment in your future. Look after it now and it will serve you well for years to come.
Please understand that I don't mean to be hard on you, but I do care and want to see you thriving and moving forward.

Wishing you peace, comfort and brighter days. Please stay in touch....we're here for you.
@Sashka567

OP
OP
S

Sashka567

Country
Australia Australia
Thanks so much for your reply Layla, as always it's a huge help.

I actually have mistaken the surgery date, so as of tomorrow I'll be 11 weeks, it'll be 12 on 7 December. Last Sunday I decided to just try some upper body weights so went to the gym and did that as well as some glute exercises, anyway, I've been struggling with significant pain all week, particularly in my lower back area and piriformis I feel, just been in spasm when I change positions and generally aching. I think it was a combination of also walking heaps early on in the week, I was doing about 7000 steps a day after the gym on Sunday so maybe I did too much. It has eased up the last couple of days as I've been resting, icing and taking some panadol, I just feel like I overdid it.. again.

I saw a physio this week and I have a session on Tuesday, he said these surgeries are really successful and its still super early for me, any pain I'm having will most likely resolve. He seems to be quite supportive and nice so I'll check it out and see how I go, maybe get some structure and guidance back. Again, it's been really hard to not exercise but I'm trying to push back in other areas as I have to work full time.. I'm just having this pain going from sitting to standing right now until I take a couple of steps, it's pretty significant too, hoping this resolves like everything else has to date.. has anyone else experienced this at nearly 3 months? :(

It's still not 3 months yet but gosh this has been a bit of a rough road. I walk around without any assistance and am doing better regarding the limp, as in, walking upright and heel to toe as much as possible. My gait has improved but there's still a way to go.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, just wanted to touch base again and let you all know where I'm at!

xx

Eman85

post-grad
Country
3 mos, perfect time for a major setback don't ask how I know. The honest full recovery time is 1 year, and even then you'll still be able to hurt it and you will still see improvements. The physio you spoke to was correct about it being super early.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I can sympathize that it's doubly hard for you, you are so young and it has to be so difficult to feel like you should be doing more. But you are doing a lot and you are paying for it, unfortunately.
Maybe the physio will be able to help you feel like you are doing some exercises with a more controlled pace, plus help ease some of the soreness.
But in all honesty, working a full day plus your long commute to and fro sounds pretty awful for someone recovering from a THR.
You will get better, you really will, but sadly, the more you stress things early on the longer the recovery can take.
Many of us have discomfort and stiffness when first rising out of a chair and taking the first few steps.

You will get there, just be patient. It's hard, even for us older folk! But it pays off in the end.
Take care..and check in with updates on how the physio is going. He sounds like he will take things easy, I hope so.

OP
OP
S

Sashka567

Country
Australia Australia
Thanks guys.. you're right re patience. I'm happy I'll be seeing a physio but am pretty down about how I feel at the moment.. just having negative thoughts about how it'll never settle down and I'll struggle forever. Argh, classic negative unrealistic thinking but this setback has me feeling this way right now :( just going to put on a movie and chill out tonight I think!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I think it was a combination of also walking heaps early on in the week, I was doing about 7000 steps a day after the gym on Sunday so maybe I did too much.
Yes, I think you're doing too much. You mentioned you were struggling with significant pain after all of the Activity listed in your post yesterday. Notice how when you ease up, rest and ice, your pain decreases? You posted that your Physio mentioned that it's still early on and your pain will most likely resolve. I agree that it is early into your recovery, but you're going to continue to suffer pain until you stop consistently overdoing it. Once again...full recovery can take up to a year, even longer for some. You can't rush it. Your body is trying to heal and it is healing, but please help it along rather than hindering the process.

It's good you're walking heel-toe and that your gait and limp are improving. However, it is recommended you use an assistive device until you're no longer limping.

Please take a break from the over exercising and PT until you're no longer suffering pain, then s-l-o-w-l-y begin increasing. Going back to work as early as you did is enough daily activity in itself after major surgery. I'd hate to see you develop chronic pain issues or continue suffering the ups and downs you're currently dealing with.

Look upon this operation as an investment in your future. Look after it now and it will serve you well for years to come. Please consider all.

Wishing you a peaceful relaxing end to the weekend.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're feeling better since you last posted. We'd love to hear from you and share joy in your progress. Please leave an update next time you drop by.
Until then wishing you only the best!
@Sashka567

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Gen
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom