Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Second Year Progress

Hi @Laurenkate Wow what a painful and scary experience - one I can completely relate to as my own experience was really similar. Mine happened last year. I was scheduled to have my right knee replaced in August, and sometime in April, 2017, I was sitting in my book discussion group and stood up to leave. My left knee started feeling pretty uncomfortable, but I was able to get home. Later that morning, when I stood up from my couch, I had the exact same experience as you - the pain was unbelievable. I couldn't walk, I couldn't move. . . I had my phone handy, thank God, and I called my dear neighbor Mike, who was home and came running down to my place. He took one look at me, sitting on a bar stool sobbing in pain, and he convinced me to call 911. The paramedics came and carted me to the hospital, and after tests and x rays and stuff, they diagnosed the baker's cyst in my left knee.

So now I had two crippled knees to deal with. The pain from the baker's cyst was so horrible. I couldn't put any weight on that leg, and the other knee was in pretty bad shape too, bone on bone. My doc, who was at that time my OS, gave me a shot in the baker's cyst knee, but I have to tell you I think it made it worse. It was a horrible mess. It led me on a journey to the doctor who ultimately performed my btkr though. The first OS wouldn't do both knees at once, and I wasn't happy with that. I couldn't see how I could rehab one knee with the other one being so bad. So the second opinion doc who I consulted with last June gave me the go ahead to get both knees done, and I went with that doc. There were other problems with the first doc, so it wasn't that hard a decision to change docs.

I'm glad we have had this discussion. I forgot how painful that whole episode was with the baker's cyst. I was wondering if I had developed another one, because my right knee is still slightly swollen, and is uncomfortable with certain movements. I am going to see a new OS next month for my one year checkup, (new OS because of my move, not because I don't like the OS who did the work on me last year) and I'm sure he'll let me know if anything is going on.
 
Wow those cysts sound awful. Thank goodness you're out the other side.
 
I'm glad you mentioned this too because I'd never heard of anyone else having the problem. It's hard to explain that particular pain, isn't it? This also reminds me to ask my OS if they can develop behind "new" knees. I suppose there isn't any reason it couldn't but hope neither of us ever have to go through that again!
 
I'm glad you mentioned this too because I'd never heard of anyone else having the problem.
This is only one way Bonesmart is so great, eventually you might find someone else experiencing a similar issue!

If anyone doesn’t see an issue talked about in the current list of threads, do a google search, like:

-insert question of choice here- then add, post op tkr bonesmart and google will find if there are any posts on Bonesmart about it. Maybe it was discussed in the past.

I did this countless times in the 4 months between the time I found Bonesmart and joined. (I was shy to join, believe it or not! :rotfl:
 
@Laurenkate There are some articles here on bonesmart about the baker's cyst condition. I've seen them before and read them too, but don't remember exactly what they said. I'm pretty sure I remember that it is possible to get a baker's cyst post surgery. Apparently there are bursa in the knee that can get inflamed. I am so clueless on medical stuff, maybe one of the moderators can fill us in.
 
At the top of the list of forums is a Library thread, there is tons of informational articles there.
 
@Jockette Your post came in right after I hit the post reply button. You are so on it - much appreciated. I am going to do a search right now. :)
 
@Jockette I tried to copy a link into my thread and failed miserably. And I can't seem to delete the posting. Any suggestions?
 
Isn’t that Library Index awesome?!
:wowspring:
 
I don’t know why it didn’t work. I go get it and try.

I’ll see about the delete.
 
It did, I don’t know why yours didn’t.
 
It may be official; i'm either brain dead or have the memory of a rock. Had actually read that article some time back and had forgotten it. I guess the good news is that I can read some of my favorite books again because of memory loss!
 
By the way, it was Josephine who fixed your original link you posted. Her version looks much nicer than mine! :wowspring:
 
I would also wonder if @Jamie would be able to assist me in finding a Denver ortho doc. I have established a pcp relationship with an internist at UC Medical Group.
I'm so sorry I didn't see this right away, but it would appear your problem has been solved with the help of your dermatologist! Let us know how the appointment goes. And if you'd like to tag me with the names of the surgeons' names you were given, I can take a look at them for you.
 
@Jamie No worries. I knew you'd see it eventually. :) The names are Dr. Ted Parks and Dr. Raj Bazaz, both at Western Orthopaedics in Denver. I read their CV's posted online and it looks impressive, but what do I know? The appointment they gave me was with Dr. Parks. I don't know if you need it, but the zip is 80218. Thanks Jamie.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom