Bilateral TKR Second Year Progress

@mlreader - My 90 yr old father fell and broke his hip a month or so ago. We were so lucky that it broke in a certain way and could be fixed with hip replacement. He is still using walker but remember how it used to be that if an older person fell and broke hip it was almost a death sentence?

It still is a big problem if they can't get out of bed (which often used to be the case), but there sure have been amazing advances in hip repair!

@SherrieT I do remember. In fact my maternal grandmother suffered from osteoporosis. She fell three times in a row and broke her hip each time. The third time she was bedridden and developed pneumonia, which is how she died. She was 83 and this was in 1967. Nowadays, she'd probably have had her hip replaced like your dad and wound up in silver sneakers with my paternal grandmother - haha.:rotfl: Great to hear from you Sherrie - how are things? P.S. Sorry your dad fell, but isn't he amazing to be marching around on that walker at his age and with what happened to him!

And we see lots of people who think they’ll be up and running (literally) at three weeks! :shocked: It’s really hard to grasp how long this recovery can take. It amazes me to go back and read how well I thought I was doing, only to realize I was being a total optimist. :heehee:

I was so blessed! My OS did tell me it was a long recovery. But, even better than that, I was on Bonesmart 6 months before my tkr! I knew what to expect!

Many don’t know any better because they are are not told much about the recovery beforehand, then they have the surgery and SUPRISE!!! :yikes:

@Jockette I think I was told. And I don't think it sunk in. Because my college friend who led me to my wonderful OS was the one who led me down the garden path. She had double knee replacement six years before me, and told of her fabulous and quick recovery. I think she must have forgotten the struggle, much as we do when we go through labor and delivery. I do remember my OS's office assistant reminding me that the recovery is a year long journey, and although I don't have a clear memory of my OS telling me that, I'm sure he did if she did. Anyway, I just had to chuckle at my naive estimate of 8 weeks to recover in my journal.

I wish those ridiculous classes they offer that waste our time would instead include actual survivors of TKRs, plus actual facts, and each handout should have a link to this site in big bold letters! But, even armed with the knowledge, it doesn't sink in until we actually live it ourselves. Knowledge is power, but even so, some things just have to be experienced to be understood...Which is why our surgeons are great at the surgeries, but don't really get the recoveries.

I think she must have forgotten the struggle, much as we do when we go through labor and delivery.
I had 39 hours of labor having my first baby. While I don’t remember every second I do remember a lot! And back in the 70s natural labor was all the rage! It’s a miracle I had 2 more children! :rotfl: I never had anything for any of my deliveries.

But at least I recovered a lot quicker than I have from this little partial!

I have a question for the forum advisors/moderators. My one year kneeversary is coming up next month. Some may remember that I moved from CA to CO in Feb. of this year, at about 5 1/2 months post surgery. Now it is time for my one year check up, but I will have to travel to CA in order to have my OS check out my knees. With travel and hotel, meals and car rental, I am looking at over $1,000 expenditure. I would like to avoid that expenditure.

My question is, do you think I can get an orthopedic surgeon to perform the one year check up here in CO? I am going to need to find an orthopedic doctor here in CO anyway, in case there are any lingering knee issues or if anything crops up (God forbid). I have read on bs that new orthopedic docs don't want to take on a patient coming from another ortho doc before one year has elapsed from surgery.

I would also wonder if @Jamie would be able to assist me in finding a Denver ortho doc. I have established a pcp relationship with an internist at UC Medical Group.

Anyway, I really hope that I can orchestrate this switch, because it is looking more and more like it will be a Cecil B. DeMile production (as my dad used to say) to get back to CA for this one year check up. My son in San Diego is unable to put me up at their house, and it just seems like the path of least resistance would be to find a local orthopedic surgeon, to do the one year check and to be available in case I need him/her. Any input is greatly appreciated.

With travel and hotel, meals and car rental, I am looking at over $1,000 expenditure. I would like to avoid that expenditure.

If at all possible, you should. Spending that kind of money is best reserved for 1) necessity, or 2) fun. You aren't having problems with your knees and it sounds to me that the trip won't quite qualify as fun.

do you think I can get an orthopedic surgeon to perform the one year check up here in CO?

Yep. Just say you are new to town and looking for an orthopedic surgeon in your area just for check-ups on your wonderful and unproblematic knee replacements.

I have read on bs that new orthopedic docs don't want to take on a patient coming from another ortho doc before one year has elapsed from surgery.

There are two main reasons surgeons have that one-year stipulation: 1) a knee that a patient thinks is "not right" at three or six months can feel perfectly fine at one year! And 2) most surgeons, even more than other doctors, do not want to take on some other doctor's "problem." They don't want to be put on any spots and they avoid even the whiff of potential lawsuits like the plague.

You are none of the above. Your knee is close to one year anyway and you aren't having any issues you want the surgeon to fix. You are not seeking a surgeon because you're unhappy with your original surgeon, neither do you want him to solve any problems at the moment. You aren't seeking pain relief. You have relocated and for geographical reasons alone want to have an orthopedic surgeon on your medical team. You are no fuss. I suspect you will have no trouble at all getting in to see someone.

I think you'll have no problem finding a new OS since you have moved so far away from your original one. You definitely need to get one there.

@mlwreader,

You mentioned you already have a PCP, why not ask if they could recommend several OS in the area? I’m sure they know of some. Another option would be to ask around your church, neighbors, work, etc to see if anyone knows one.

Thanks for the feedback friends. I asked my CA OS if they could recommend an ortho doc here in Denver, but they aren't able to do that. I did ask for my "op note" and they are sending that to me. I went on the UC Medical website and there are many orthopedic doctors (over 20). I will check with my pcp to get a recommendation. She is new to town as well, but can check with her attending I'm sure.

I have an appointment with a Denver Orthopedic Surgeon based on a referral from my dermatologist this morning. She asked me about my knees (she saw the scars) and I told her where and when I had my surgery. Before I could even say more she said something like, well, you will need a local orthopedic surgeon to check in with once a year and make sure everything is ok. Here are two names, they are fabulous doctors, I like them both. Makes me chuckle because everything about this move to CO has been so simple, not necessarily easy, but so simple and straightforward. Anyway I just set up an appointment with the new doctor and the scheduler set it for . . . September 11, the one year anniversary of my surgery. The End. :ok:

Very cute @SherrieT. I am still having minor swelling in my right knee and it isn't happy going up stairs. How are you doing? Hugs. ML

You asked about my wonderful experience with a Baker's cyst. In March, I was getting ready to go down the steps at home and was, fortunately, holding onto the handrail and didn't have my hands full of stuff. Took the second step and it felt like someone had taken a baseball ball and slammed the back of my knee as hard as possible. If I hadn't been holding onto the handrail, I probably would have gone down the steps. The pain is impossible to describe; my husband was walking the dog and I couldn't move. Finally managed to get down on my fanny and down to the bottom of the steps but had to wait for him to get me up off the last step. This happened on a Saturday and I couldn't see my OS until Tuesday; had to use crutches until then but basically wanted to lay in the bed and moan. :) Honestly, it was just like the first few days after a tkr.

Saw the OS; x-rays were taken and he thinks the Baker's cyst burst and said they could be extremely painful. That's also when he told me I should have the knee replaced and gave me the option of doing it then or giving me a cortisone shot so I could get through the next 3 months. Because we had some obligations, I took the shot and scheduled surgery in July.

It's still hard to believe something like that could cause so much pain. If I remember correctly, I don't think they burst very often but it taught me a very good lesson - never going down the steps again without holding on to the handrail!

Sounds awful! Poor thing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom