PKR second shiny new knee

What a great post! And you're already well on the way to having a left knee that is as good as your right. Well done.
 
Let's hear it for Hopper's right knee! My un-operated but dodgy right knee is doing well too!:happydance::happydance::happydance:
 
Excellent news, really pleased to hear that you are progressing so well.
 
@SuperSnapper hopefully your right knee benefit from the LPKR and will now last a bit longer as both knees can work together. Is the right one very painful?
 
@Hopper ,my right knee hardly hurts at all. It does give way now and again but since I had the left PKR this has become very infrequent. So it's a win, win! But it will need doing eventually as there are cysts in the bone which are bad news according to my OS.
But then again my left knee didn't hurt that much ,it just used to lock up and then it was very painful and it was when both knees did it together once or twice and I could hardly walk that I gave in to the idea of replacement. The left knee got much worse in just a couple of months too after I had a bad fall on it last April. Cracked ribs too at the time. Ouch! Now that was painful.
You are doing really well. It's great to start feeling better and getting to do things again without any worries.
 
Pleasantly boring recovery so nothing interesting to say. Walked around Boots and Sainsburys today - getting back to normality.
Been to physio and had flexion of 10 but down to 5 after her nice massage and oh so gentle manipulation.
Gained another 10 degrees of flexion in the last eight days so its now at 90 - we were both happy (it was at 50 to begin with).
Walking well and limp free according to the physio. Can walk up and down stairs normally now.
Knee seems not too far from a full revolution on the bike. Tissues healing slowly but surely and no forcing or pain allowed.
 
How can you say that going to Boots and Sainsburys isn't interesting :rotfl: !!

Great news re the extension and flex. Even better re no limp and doing stairs like an adult rather than like a toddler!!

You've had a great recovery, you must be very pleased.

Are you returning to work soon?
 
@Raffs - yes, its been a good recovery as was the last knee. I see my surgeon on monday and then at 6 and 12 months will do my bit for his research program at Imperial.
I feel pretty much back to normal really. I'm increasing my activity slowly but surely. I had a good day out with friends yesterday - dropping our kids off at Heathrow and then lunch and shopping. Elevated my leg in the evening.
Work will now increase - I've a lot to catch up on!
 
Fantastic! "Normal" feels a long way off right now so great to hear it is on the horizon. Don't rush back into working!
 
Normal means getting on with pretty much everything day to day BUT of course Im not going crazy with exercise yet, limiting my physical activities and how far I walk.
I'm generally walking slightly slower than I would, its early days, I will get faster gradually.
I'm respecting the fact that my bone, tissues, muscles etc etc are still healing and not yet up to doing the highland fling!
During both recoveries I have tried to listen to the sound advice given here by the team - and most of all I listen to my knees. I have no intention of upsetting the healing process or undoing the craft of my surgeons.
Its such bliss to be walking without bone on bone pain. Any tiny twinges are truly tiny and not worth thinking about - its just my knee "running in".
@SuperSnapper isn't getting one's life back just wonderful? @Raffs you are on your way. Two new knees - I'm so pleased.
In three weeks time I will be off on holiday. It will be eight weeks then. I shall float around rather than swim, saunter rather than hike, read and elevate rather than beach volleyball, cruise rather than windsurf.
Doesn't sound too bad does it?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great to me!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Today the surgeon and I consulted. My first time seeing him since my op seven weeks ago.
It was all good.
He was happy and I'm very happy. He checked the flex, bend and gait. No measuring of ROM or anything I suppose he could see its ok.
He hopes to be at Imperial University when I do the next lot of trial stuff for the research team after I'm 6 months out. Its interesting stuff and watching your results afterwards and the complex gait analysis is riveting, especially the gait measurements at different speeds, inclines etc The team there really made me sweat though.
The OS laughed after asking me if my cane was my best friend - I told him no, I don't really need it but it kept the train and tube passengers away from me and would probably have got me a seat if needed. He asked what route I'd taken and if I'd negotiated escalators and stairs - of course I had, I haven't got wings!

At night I have a minor twinge now and then when I turn over. Weirdly its on the lateral side of the knee. The surgeon thinks it's where he removed a great curly bit of bone - osteophytes. He showed me the X-ray of it. I imagine it will just heal. Apparently I produce bone like no one he's ever seen. Shame I didn't do that with cartilage!

We chatted about wear and tear and replacing the bearings - that's hopefully in many years to come. I have his assurance that I can swim as many miles as I like without them wearing away. Although Im not really thinking about swimming the Channel just yet. He thinks my right leg bearing will go first but who knows? If one goes then he will do them both. He sees my NY surgeon quite often and they are comparing.
Looked at the X-rays of my lovely straight legs - brill! (Legs aren't lovely but straightness is.)
He reckons three months now building strength and healing, gently and slowly but steadily.

Anyhow, my new knees skipped out of the hospital and popped in some book shops, ate then walked to Selfridges (to buy my nephew his favourite biscuits - cost a fortune) and afterwards sauntered down Oxford Street.
Today I realised how much better walking really is.
This is the great bit: Earlier this year, after my first consultation, I nipped to Selfridges by TAXI because my left knee was awful and the pain too much to bear. I could have done the walk but it would have been agony during and afterwards. Today was soooo different! So bonesmarties, just for the hell of it, I kept walking and I walked down Regent street too.
I only bought the biscuits but the West End has never felt so good for years! I'm so pleased with my two new knees.
If you are reading this, stay positive listen to your new knees and look forward to enjoying improvement each week and eventually lets hope we all have brilliant, pain free walks!

.
 
How fantastic @Hopper and well done you for having such a great attitude to your recovery!
Hope those new knees last for years and years and you have lots of fun with them.
 
Great report, Hopper!!!! I bet you made your surgeon's day just as he did yours.
 
Fantasic update! So pleased that you're doing so so wel. I haven't been able to get into central London since January due to knee issues - I cannot wait - getting excited about popping into Fortnum and Mason to do some Christmas shopping already!!
 
@Raffs you will be sprinting around Fortnums by then!
Extension today was at 10 again but after some work by the physio it was at 0 and comfortable.
ROM was stuck at 90 but yet I cycled backwards then found I could rotate the pedals completely forwards and cycled for 5 minutes.
So for anyone who thinks they are trailing behind with flexion or extension thats taken me 7+ weeks. Some people can cycle in the first week, for others it takes a few weeks, for me almost a few months. It happens for most of us in the end. I just went gently at rocking the pedals to begin with both times and now I'm cycling again.
 
Great update again. Like that your progress has been so steady and that you're seeing things improve all the time. Can't imagine cycling at the mo - ouch!!
 
Did over an hour of standing and chatting at a family garden party this weekend. Comfortable in my flatties. Ducked out of the dancing later on.
Today I didn't hop or limp around as I would have a couple of months ago - but used public transport - stairs and escalators, sat for lunch, then walked steadily around the Alexander McQueen exhibition at the V and A. Coffee afterwards then home. It was at just a nice pace and not too long a day. Took my cane to lean on in the exhibition - embarrassing thing but found there are lots of lovely gentlemen on the tube!
Slightly swollen ankle tonight but nothing a bit of ice and elevation won't sort. Getting that touch of normality back more and more each day. Must be patient!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom