Guest viewing is limited

PKR second shiny new knee

26 days out today. Not much to say. The knee is very comfortable and pain free although it doesn't really like me sleeping on my side.
Im feeling very energetic but not pushing the knee in any way so judo and tennis might just have to wait!
Im happy walking without crutches but my OS wants me walking with crutches for a little while longer so that Im striding out, supporting my knee and getting into a good limp free gait pattern. Thats ok by me.
The physio today said ROM is 71 (it was 50 then 61 last week) she's happy. I lost some extension but she explained why she felt this was (hamstrings and swelling) and after a nice massage and some stretching It went from 20 back to 10 again.
Oh - I do alternatives to heel slides as I've never found them helpful or comfortable.
The very best thing at the moment is the realisation that horrible, wearing pain in my knees has GONE. Its gone - just wonderful!
 
Really good to hear that all is going so well. What kind of PKR have you had? Mine should be just a patellofemoral replacement assuming the surgeon doesn't see anything unexpected once he's in there.
 
@Raffs Both of mine were medial but with a jolly good clean up around the patella. Lots of osteophytes sprouting.
The last two days have really felt as if I've really turned a corner and strength is returning in my knees. I think it would actually be very easy to overdo it.
Perhaps I was less likely to do too much the last time around as I still had one cruddy knee still holding me back.
Im enjoying my walks around the block as its just so nice to get out and enjoy the fresh air. How boring am I.
I've a little bit of tenderness to the touch around the medial area but I suppose its still healing.
Im eating too much and not burning many calories. I like chocolate. Something I need to address!
 
Just scoffed half a big bar of Cadbury's Chips Ahoy! I like chocolate too! Sounds like you're doing great for less than a month out. I'm a bit concerned about where I'm going to walk when it's time to get out and about. I live in an ok part of North London but there is a hill in all directions and the pavements are really uneven. Up and down my street is going to get boring very quickly! Hope your block is nice and flat!!
 
Its exactly the same here - a steep hill both ways on rickety pavements but its that or no where. I just take my time going down, using the crutches to soften the downward stride. Its okish going up.
Got US family here at the weekend so sight seeing on sunday but Im popping along in a wheelie!
 
How did the sightseeing go? A friend has offered to lend me her wheelie if I need it. Hope you've had a good weekend. That's helpful to know re hills and bad pavements. Slowly does it will be the name of the game. It's been great reading your thread, you're doing so well.
 
The sightseeing was good - apart from the heavy shower! The wheelie was great as I couldn't have gone otherwise as it would have been too far and too fast for me. Im so looking forward to getting back to normal and walking freely ad for miles..
The OS's physio is insistent that I still keep intensive walking to around 30 minutes a day supported (with a cane or crutches). I potter around indoors of course without support and thats allowed!
Good luck for tomorrow!!!! It will be great in a few weeks time!
 
Hi @Hopper, I had the pleasure of reading through your journey just now. Trust your gut; you're very knowledgable. And most importantly, hang in there...you're doing great!
 
Sounds as if you are going really well, @Hopper . Your physio sounds very sensible to limit your walking. Slow and steady will win you the race. Soon you'll be back to doing all the things you enjoy.
 
I'm at five weeks now and recovery is slow but sure.
I've no pain apart from a few minor twinges at night because I like sleeping on my side and my left knee sometimes gets quashed.
My extension is at 5 and flexion has gone from 50, 62, 71 to 80+. Gait is apparently very good - I'm no long Hopper really!
I'm now on the stationary bike and working towards full revolutions, it will happen in the next week or so I'm sure.
I've two weeny bits of scab left and as soon as they disappear I will do pool walking and some gentle aqua exercise. I have got a few waterproof dressings so could go sooner but Im enjoying the sun and being a tad lazy.
Last night we were in a friends apartment during a big storm and lightening fused the elevator so i had no option but to walk down five flights of stairs. It was fine.
I'm pottering around at home unaided and sticking to my physio and OS guidelines about timed walks, now 40- 50 minutes a go.
It great not having painful knees and I'm raring to go but being sensible which is quite hard!
 
Really good to hear that you are doing so well. The being sensible is very hard but you will regret it and set yourself back a few days if you overdo things now. Enjoy the aquacise.
 
Almost six weeks.
Walked for over two miles a couple of days ago. It wasn't intentional. I was pushing a friends baby in a sturdy buggy which was quite supportive. I know @jacs65 does good walks too.
All felt great, normality on the horizon - but do read on.....
We have more visitors staying this week, five of them, so I've had to shop and cook rather a lot. That's entailed being on my feet pretty much non stop of course. My ice and elevation sofa is now a visitors bed.
I'm driving again so I'm out and about.
There's no pain and my leg/ knee feels stronger and stronger.

BUT Iast night my ankle and foot was swollen and my knee grumbled when I turned over in bed - this idiot has overdone it! @SuperSnapper I'm a twit. Normality isn't quite here yet.

Today there has to be time to elevate and ice. I'd given up on it recently.
We have Wimbledon tickets for Saturday but I'm giving it a miss as the yomp to the ground then sitting all day in a small space doesn't appeal. What a sacrifice! Worth it though.
 
Yep, you've joined the ODIC!!! I think you've done brilliantly to wait until almost six weeks before overdoing it - many people do it long before then.

Sounds like overall you're doing really well - hope I feel the same at 6 weeks. Keep up the excellent work!

Sorry to hear about the tennis - TV this year and perhaps go next year?
 
@Hopper Fab news on the walking, feels good huh?

I have had many a day where I have over done it and dare I say it but I would probably have given my Wimbledon ticket up also. But watch at home, leg elevated with ice plus champagne and strawberries :)

Hope foot and ankle are OK now
 
Watching Murray right now @jacs65 and going to take your advice tomorrow for sure.
All very positive here @Raffs. I'm up and going great guns now.
I've been so busy this week, organising 8-10 people, on my feet cooking - but with a lot of helping hands. The swelling went overnight, the visitors went today, I'm walking really well and beginning to look as if I've never hopped around!
After the first couple of fragile weeks all gets easier and now the improvement is very evident. I'm not rushing anything, flexion and extension is coming along well and very comfortably.
I can't wait for long, long walks, wearing heels, a bit of dancing, swimming, pilates and spinning classes even if its in a few months time!
 
@Hopper Don't worry, you will be back to normal soon and will have put this all behind you. Everyone overdoes it now and again but you've done the sensible ( however, it is boring :tantrum:) thing and you will be fine.
Your knee actually sounds as if it behaved pretty well with all the walking and cooking and like mine feels really strong now. Great stuff!

We just had three days in North Wales and I walked on beaches, over rocks etc with no problems at all. The only time my knee grumbled was the car journey back when we drove for 3 1/2 hours without stopping and it was a bit sore when we got home but ok again as soon as I moved about.
 
For those of you intrepidly setting out on the road to recovery - I have truly forgotten something very important!
My right knee!!!!
My right knee had a medial replacement just over two years ago.
It has supported my left knee throughout the last six weeks of recovery without a problem or a grumble. I've hopped on it, leant on it, relied on it totally.
It has been no problem throughout the last two years - despite having to work extra hard as I continued to be plagued by bone on bone in my left knee. It has cycled, swum, walked, worked out, lived etc etc etc

All in all I'd say my RPKR has been bloody fantastic - so good Id forgotten about it!
No reason why my left will not be just as good.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom