PKR second shiny new knee

Slept a little longer last night. My knee is fine in bed but sleeping on my back is so uncomfortable. Ive got extra pillows and have tried different reclining angles but its still not good. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it more comfortable?
Seeing my new physio tomorrow - she's Chartered, experienced, very keen on post op rehab and has a well equipped, open and airy practice. Im sure it will be a better experience, this rehab is really important to me and I want it to be be purposeful and enjoyable, like last time.
My mum had a couple of PT sessions at her local hospital - the physios greeting was 'welcome to the torture chamber'!!! She had one home visit and was shown how to go up two stairs - her bathroom is at the top of the flight, she was 85 living alone. We got her a stair lift immediately and I went to look after her. Its so hard for some people and the support is poor. I know how lucky I am.
 
@Hopper Have you tried the pillow trick for sleeping on your side?

Good knee on mattress, pillow, then operated knee...worked a treat for me and this week is the first week I have been able to sleep with my operated knee on the mattress. It really does make a difference to sleeping if you are not a natural back sleeper.

Good luck tonight, if you can sleep through the storms that are due.....
 
Knee complains when I put it on its side:sad: I think it might just be slightly too early?
We had lovely loud rolling thunder earlier. Im hoping it does storm as the pots need watering. My husband is neglecting my garden!:skep:
@jacs65 How did you manage to put all of those zinnias in?
 
If my dog slept on my lap I was comfy sleeping on my back! She won't cooperate most of the time though.

Have you tried stacking pillows for your legs as well as stacking for the upper body? That helps quite a lot. At least my back didn't been complain even if I didn't get much sleep.

It looked really weird but sometimes laying on my side with the operated leg on the pillow stack worked too. Part of the reason I cannot sleep on my back is I need my legs bent just a bit for comfort and if they are on pillows they can bend a little.
 
@Hopper Zinnia's were a challenge, I did planting in 10 min stints several times a day. The only way I could manage this was to slightly bend both knees and then bend at the waist to plant. Truly back aching work hence why I only did it in 10 min slots.

I've been shopping with my daughter this morning and I managed around 3hrs, knee complaining a little and I'm absolutely exhausted. @JennyLynne I don't know how you are managing to work, although are you doing much moving around?
 
The hardest part of my day is getting from my car to my desk, and then back to my car. Bathroom is 20 ft away, and I bring my lunch in an insulated bag and eat at my desk. I go to meetings but still a 2 min walk at most. I actually have to remember to get up and walk around. So really, it's minimal physical exertion.

Shopping on the other hand... That's major!!!!!!! I haven't been in a store since pre-op!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jacs65 @JennyLynne - you are both doing really well! Three hours shopping is impressive and that with my daughter would exhaust me too! I will use my PKR as an excuse for waiting in a coffee shop, whilst she shops, for quite sometime.

Yesterday my elderly mum fell and broke her hip - and she's hundreds of miles away. My daughter has dashed up there. It would have to happen now! They have put a pin and plate in - not sure if thats ok.....Im worried.

Today is day 16 and my knee remains comfortable and feels stronger every day. Im still icing, elevating and resting it. A bit of cosseting for my healing bones etc. boring but necessary.

I decided not to put up with mediocre PT - my new knee deserves better! So today I went to my new physio and was there for an hour. She is very experienced in post operative rehabilitation. I found her thorough, proactive, knowledgeable and fun. She explained why I have numb patches. She assessed my knee throughly, assessed my gait on my crutches and gave me a couple of instructions that made a big difference to my gait. She measured my bend and flex - which could be better, gave me a new set of exercises and massaged around the knee etc etc
It was a very positive experience this time - I am very glad I have changed to this physio and am looking forward to her sound guidance in my rehab. I'm sporty and we discussed what I wanted to get back to doing in the future - she says she will get me there - getting me on the floor and up again ready for pilates classes might be a major challenge!

I have been hobbling very badly for along time and both of my knees were a mess. Apparently my legs were bowed and I hated seeing my stance reflected in a shop window . I'm so looking forward to walking tall and normally - it might take some practice!
 
So sorry to hear about your mom, when it rains it pours, it seems.

Glad the new PT went well. I think it can make a world of difference when you are comfortable and confident.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry to hear about your mom, but that sounds like the right treatment for the problem. So fortunate your daughter could make the trip to be with her.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Day 17 - very boring recovery really.
Im not as stir crazy as I was the first time around but am impatiently wishing the days away. I have read, googled, written etc etc etc etc just trying to keep occupied. It's lovely when someone pops in.
My knee feels much stronger today and very stable. I can suddenly walk without my crutches fairly easily. The OS's Head physio phoned today to check I'm OK. She calls each week. She said my OS likes his patients to stay with the crutches or a cane for at least four weeks.
I will see my local physio again tomorrow. I think the extension is ok but my bend is probably pathetic just like the last time - plenty of time for that though.
Im trying to follow her tips when I walk on my crutches - its actually quite hard. I do know that she's right in saying Im not walking correctly as I saw it on screen the week before my op when I took part in a knee research program at Imperial College, London. My left leg was trailing behind the right and the knee lift was behind. Im looking forward to both legs slowly but surely getting into sync again.
I have to go back to Imperial at 6 months and then 12. It will be interesting.
I've been wide awake during the day until this afternoon when I nodded off. Something I never do but I guess its my body wanting rest.
Had a bout of itchiness just above the incision in bed last night. It drove me mad.
Nice to be starting to realise the grotty pain I had in my left knee has gone!!!!
 
Hi @Hopper I'm really sorry to hear about your mum. What a worry for you!

Sounds like you are doing really well for about 4 weeks out. It does get boring but it is important not to do too much. I'm glad you found a physio you feel good about. Your ROM will come along in time. Keep icing and elevating as much as you can.

It's great when your knee feels strong and that horrible arthritic pain is gone. In a few weeks this will all have faded into the background and what adventures you can have with your new freedom.

Best regards
 
@SuperSnapper - Still worrying about my dear old mum. It would happen now. I'm only just over two weeks out. Looking forward to pain free adventures that's for sure! I hope you are enjoying your knee now as you have had a good few months recovery time and It certainly sounds that you are feeling the benefits? Are you much more active now?

@Raffs - pretty boring updates from me but boring is good as I really don't want any drama just slow but good healing. I hope you are ready for next week and as relaxed as you can be.
 
Hi @Hopper

Hope you have better news about your mum today. I think you are being really sensible taking your recovery slowly and carefully. You will probably overdo things at some time, we all do that, but ice and rest usually sorts things out again. And this site is very good for reassurance is you have a problem. The boredom does get to you but you will soon be much more mobile and get out a bit more. I looked on the first 5 weeks as money in the bank ie the rest I gave my knee and the boredom I had would be worth it in the end. And it worked well for me.

I am really enjoying my knee thanks! I was always able to be pretty active before my surgery and used the gym regularly on my sugeon's advice. I didn't have significant frequent pain before only occasionally but my knee would lock now and again and then the pain was intense. I did have to give up walking more than a couple of miles .

Now that is all gone and I am back walking up to about 5 miles ( last week we did this everyday on holiday) I can walk up and down hills with no problem and swim breast stroke comfortably again. My other knee which will need doing someday, the microfracture I had on that is now about 14 years old and is wearing out, but that knee is also benefitting from its partner and hasn't been any trouble either. Fingers crossed. Stiffness for a few seconds on getting up from a chair and out of bed in the morning is a nuisance but it's minimal really. All in all, my knee is wonderful.

Take care.
 
Three weeks out! Yipee.
Nothing to report at all. My knee is feeling much stronger. Theres no pain particularly. I'm doing daily walks up the road with my crutches. I think I will hop onto my cane (saved from my first PKR) soon.
Ive got really good at ordering my family about, turning the lights on and off with my crutches and using them to prod the dog when his snoring is driving me bonkers.
@SuperSnapper I think you are absolutely right - resting and healing those first five weeks are money in the bank.
Its so tempting to do more than you should but am stopping myself.
Yesterday I went for afternoon tea with friends. They collected me and it was great to be out and about. I refrained from putting my leg up on the table amongst the cakes but made sure I scoffed loads and elevated and iced when I got home.
 
@Hopper Sounds like great progress to me and tea out with friends is a good idea to break out of the house.
You have a positive attitude and it's working. Hope you get on well with the cane. A cane is much easier on the shoulders than crutches.
Just done 55 mins in the gym and 25 mins swimming! I am really short sighted but my prescription goggles just arrived so no stopping me now!

have a good day
 
Another fairly uneventful day in the life of my healing knee.
My knee is feeling stronger ever day. It moans a little when I try to sleep on my side so I don't force it.
Taking heed of the physio - who said to keep on using my crutches, or cane, for at least four weeks as it makes you stride out rather than shuffle so good for gait etc.
Today's highlight was a trip to the supermarche with a friend. She insisted I tried out the electric buggy in there and promptly sent my daughter a daft photo.
I have to say it was a bit of fun but the thing bleeped embarrassingly loudly in reverse. It's true what they say - you are fairly invisible when you are much lower down than everyone else! Anyhow riding around on it was stress free and a good way of passing some time. Later today I will do a bit of walking up the road.
Keeping in mind what @SuperSnapper says - this healing time is money in the bank. That's such a good way of looking at it!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hopper sounds like healing is going very well. It's interesting what your physio said about keep working with crutches/cane, I really tried hard to keep using mine for that reason but it seemed they made my limp worse. Good that your'e walking more, I really look forward to my morning walks....some independance.
 
Oh you are so right @jacs65 - some independence is great. Its so good to have that healing feeling and to be getting more mobile each day. Im not sure that I will be doing the distances you are after 5 weeks - you are speeding along! Are you driving now?
I'm on timed walks - still a 30 minute walk a day for this week, using crutches, putting opposite leg forward with crutch and striding out. Not something I was told to do last time, as I used a single cane then, but I have to say its very supportive and I think I have a better walking pattern for it.
The great thing is I have no pain to speak of and so no pain meds - I hate them. Still got a fat-ish knee and plonking ice on it now and then.
It's interesting how the medical profession and PTs all have their different ways.
Im sort of mixing and matching ideas really.
 
Yes my knee is still fat, but reading on here the swelling lasts for a fair time and particularly after a lot of activity. I like my knee first thing in the morning; my knee is positively skinny :loll:
Couldn't do the bike today, knee was way to uncomfortable and I did not want to push it at all.
Can start driving on Tuesday, I am so excited....
Hope you have a good week.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom