THR Scorow's second hip recovery thread

Hello scorow,
Happy Monday and Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? Let us know when you have the time. I hope you have a great week! :)
@scorow
 
Thanks for the note. All is going well at 8 weeks to the day. The only complaint I have is some groin pain/irritation that shows up if I stand for a lengthy period of time (as in a couple of hours standing at an airport), which doesn't happen very often and goes away with an NSAID. I recall the same issue at about this time for the last hip.

But motion/activity-wise, all good. Can bike with no issues (up to 10 miles so far) and walk a 3 mile loop. Just started with some careful pickleball and have no pain or discomfort during or afterwards. So I continue to feel very fortunate that my recovery has been really good, much like the last time. I attribute it mostly to having the surgery before the hip deteriorated too far, working to maintain conditioning before surgery, anterior approach (at least for the early recovery), and not going with aggressive PT that would keep the tissues inflamed as I'm trying to recover.

And probably a healthy dose of plain good luck.
 
You are having quite a remarkable recovery, @scorow! I'm two weeks behind you, but still only walking one mile a day. Congratulations!
 
So good to hear that your recovery continues to go so well. I think you're spot on about having surgery before the hip really deteriorates. My left hip had really collapsed. The right hip isn't as bad and is now actually getting more exercise since the left got replaced. I'm really hoping I'll be mobile more quickly as a consequence... If that's the way the cookie. Walking 3 miles is amazing progress, not to mention the bike riding!
 
Thanks for the update! Such good news. You're doing so well and I'm happy to hear it.
Have a great rest of the Summer, scorow!
@scorow
 
Twelve weeks today, and all continues to go very well. Traveled to Banff this weekend for a wedding and completed a 9-mile hike that had over 2500 ft. of elevation gain. Certainly exhausted afterwards, but nary a twinge from my hip (or the other hip that was replaced in 2020, for that matter). With the very rare occasion of a slight twinge if I swing my leg too carelessly getting into a car, I no longer even think about the hip.
I am very mindful that I have been very fortunate with my recovery. I mention the hike only for the purpose of letting anyone who may read this in advance of having this surgery know that it is very possible to have great outcomes and eventually "be the same" or very nearly so as you once were. That was one of my greatest fears when I had my first hip done.
And on that point, I'll also echo what @Deni444 and others have said: Bonesmart has played a big part in both of my recoveries by providing practical information and psychological support from people all over the world who have had and are currently going through this experience. It should be recommended by surgeons during the pre-op discussions for this procedure.
 
I am over the moon to hear your update! What a fantastic outcome and such an inspiration for everyone approaching surgery or in recovery. Oh my... Banff must have been absolutely gorgeous and I can only imagine what that hike would have felt like. Congratulations on your recovery :flwrysmile: My personal 'Banff' is out my gate and up my little coast road and I was thrilled to hear my surgeon say after surgery that a two mile walk without crutches should be more than achievable for me in time. Having surgery is about seizing the day and making things possible that wouldn't be without THR. You are such a great example and I guess me too :)

Keep us posted every step of the way... It's wonderful to hear!
 
Well those are some of the sweetest words I've ever read here in regard to BoneSmart, scorow. Thank you for sharing that sentiment with all. I find it difficult to imagine my recovery had I not found BoneSmart with all of its lovely members supporting one another.

You're recovery is phenomenal. I'm happy for you! What a hike you took in Banff. Amazing!
A place on my bucket list, photos of Banff are always stunning. Thanks for stopping by with such a fantastic progress report on your recovery. It will inspire those following behind you.
Enjoy the rest of the week!
@scorow
 
What a great update, @scorow ! I agree that we need to share the success stories so those who are pre-op or early days know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

It should be recommended by surgeons during the pre-op discussions for this procedure
It's on our Wish List, too! Thanks.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
You've come so far, scorow, in such a short time. Three months ago you were just starting this journey and look at the progress you've made! Stronger, steadier and getting back to all that you love. Cheers to continued healing and a bright future with your new hip!
@scorow
 
Thanks, @Layla. Today is my 3-month anniversary and all continues well (other than battling a nasty bout with Covid this week). The hip is not 100% yet, but it continues to improve. I am able now to cross the affected leg over the non-surgery leg, such as when putting on socks, which I know from my other hip surgery is a milestone. Since I am rolling along pretty well now, I probably won't post any more updates unless unexpected issues arise.

Thanks again to all of the staff members (@Layla, @benne68, @Jamie, and others) and everyone else (@Deni444 , @myglasshalffull , @Coddfish and others) for all of the helpful and supportive comments. They all made a real difference. As many have noted, the surgeons are great with the mechanics of this surgery, but there really is no treatment for the psychological impact which is significant and has an effect on the recovery. This "place" and the people who contribute to it make a real difference.
 
It's been such a pleasure recovering alongside you @scorow and likewise, I'd like to thank you for your many, many encouraging messages :roseshwr:

Congratulations on your recovery so far and I do hope you'll pop in and share even the ongoing seemingly uneventful every now and again. As someone who's recovery has been a longer road, I always love hearing that people continue to do well and go back to active lives. Even hearing about a sock cheered me on... it's been a while but I imagine getting there one day. It's a great encouragement because otherwise we all hear far more about challenges than we do successes.

In the meantime, enjoy your ongoing recovery... There are milestones galore to look forward to!
 
Thanks for the kind words, @scorow … we enjoy seeing someone have joint replacement surgery, go through recovery, and get on with their lives. Your success story will help those people who come to BoneSmart worried about life after joint replacement and hopefully be encouraged to go ahead and fix their bad joints.

Even if you don’t post and you no longer need to be an active member of the Insiders Club, you’ll still ALWAYS be a BoneSmartie. We would love to hear how you’re enjoying life again down the road. Don’t ever hesitate to pop in and post a quick update on your recovery thread.
 
Thanks, @Deni444 . Your positivity has been a model for all of us hipsters (and for non-hipsters as well). Your challenges may have made your road a bit longer, but I have faith that you'll return to a level of activity beyond that which you thought was possible. I will try to pop in occasionally just to see your posts when those days start to happen!

Thanks, @Jamie - You may not always see the impact of what you guys do on here, but know that you do make a difference both for those that post and likely many who never post but read these threads. Keep up the good work!
 
Sorry you're dealing with Covid, I hope you feel better soon.

Such sweet words in regard to the forum. Thank you!
There comes a time to spread your wings and fly, although you will be missed around here.
We're thankful you joined us to share your journey and grateful for the support you've offered others along the way. I wish you all the best as you get back to all that you enjoy in life. Please don't be a stranger here, it will be nice to hear how you're doing once in awhile. Your future looks bright. :thumb:
Take good care, scorow!
@scorow
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom