Guest viewing is limited

THR Scorow's second hip recovery thread

Sleeplessness. I simply couldn't sleep no matter how exhausted I became. I even found napping hard. It was one of the most difficult parts of early recovery for me personally, but it suddenly lifted.
 
One month in the books. Sleep is better, though still a ways to go. I'm walking about 3 miles per days (1.5 in the morning and 1.5 in the evening) with no after effects or ice or meds needed. Taking the stairs normally (two story house with bedrooms upstairs). Still have the occasional "off" day that just seems a bit more difficult (had one such day in the last week) which I really can't tie to any activity. And I have the occasional strange "new" little pain that pops up somewhere and then is completely gone within a day or less. But other than the stiffness first thing in the morning, most days I'm really not that aware that I even had surgery and have to avoid doing things unconsciously like trying to cross my leg.

So, I'm happy with where I am. But I know from last time that the "feeling" can be deceptive, as I still have a lot of healing to do and can set myself back if I am not careful.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, scorow!
Sound like you are doing wonderfully well. Glad you're aware that it's still early in the entire scheme of things.
I hope you have a safe and happy holiday weekend...enjoy!
@scorow
 
Mystery pains. If I hadn't had them with my other THR, they would be concerning. But they sure seem to be part of the recovery process. I had a very strange and annoying pain pop up in my glute area (for lack of a better description) two days ago that was fairly sensitive. It stayed the same yesterday, but this morning is magically gone. Just finished a walk and never felt it at all. I didn't do anything different to either cause it in the first place or to make it stop - it just appeared and then vanished two days later. The recovery from this surgery is just not a process that you can fully understand. The only certain element seems to be time.
 
You are certainly wise now about the ins and outs of joint recovery these days. I’m glad you didn’t get concerned about the odd pain that appeared out of nowhere and then vanished. It is all part of the process as our bodies heal and get used to the new normal of a good strong joint.

Things are progressing nicely for you, so just keep on the same path!
 
Oh those mystery pains. They pop up,and then leave. My right foot was giving me a run for my money the other day. I have arthritis on top of it and it was so painful. Put a little BioFreeze on it and took one Tylenol. Felt better. Still a little sore but nothing I can’t live with.
 
I think the glute muscles can be a bit lazy depending on walking posture. It may be that you activated it a little more efficiently without realising and it let you know. It's easy to develop a walking habit that favours quads and that can cause the glutes to be a bit lack lustre. That's what a physio explained to me once.
 
I recall those questionable pains. Recovery feels like it's going smoothly, then suddenly there's a new pain to throw you off. These mystery pains are concerning initially until you realize they come, then go almost as quickly...until replaced by another. :groan:As you likely remember through experience, it's all part of the process. You're doing fine, scorow, keep it up and enjoy the weekend!
@scorow
 
Had my 6-week follow-up appointment today and all is well. I think this hip has progressed even a bit faster than the last one, as I am walking 4 miles per day (2 in the morning, 2 in the evening) and am pain free unless I really bend over too hard putting on shoes. I am released for any activity "as tolerated" except for jogging, jumping (lol), or anything with hard impact. They passed on the 3-month check and will next see me on the 1-year anniversary of the surgery.

I know that I am very fortunate to have had an easier path than many, and am a tad bit hesitant to make such a report. But if, like me, people look through these recovery threads before their surgeries to see what the path ahead may look like, I would want them to know that it can be a <relatively> easy and straightforward path.

And I would add that I am convinced that part of the reason I have had relatively easy recoveries is that I did study these stories on this site before my first hip and as a result, really tried to (1) condition my hip/leg as much as I could before the surgery and (2) be careful with my recovery, icing heavily in early weeks and not pushing my recovery so as to add inflammation to already tortured tissues.

I know that I still have months before I will be fully-recovered, but happy to be at this point along the path.
 
Great update!
I think each contribution here from all members helps with those facing the surgery.
Happy your recovery has gone fairly easy & you are on good path.
Keep in touch!
 
But if, like me, people look through these recovery threads before their surgeries to see what the path ahead may look like, I would want them to know that it can be a <relatively> easy and straightforward path.
Yes. I'm so glad you've been sharing your great recovery story!

We know that many people who post about their surgery/recovery do so because they are struggling with some aspect of their recovery. Often, it's just a matter of unrealistic expectations; but some folks do have difficult recoveries.

The data tell us that the vast majority of hip replacements (more than 90%) are successful -- and we need more stories like yours to illustrate this.

Please keep posting!
 
Thank you for letting us know that BoneSmart has been a help to you. We appreciate that feedback and it helps us know that what we’re doing is really helping people.

It sounds like you are well on your way toward getting your life back. I’m so happy for you!
 
I know that I am very fortunate to have had an easier path than many, and am a tad bit hesitant to make such a report. But if, like me, people look through these recovery threads before their surgeries to see what the path ahead may look like, I would want them to know that it can be a <relatively> easy and straightforward path.
You're right! I for one looked for threads and updates such as yours. We have a natural curiosity about when we'll be able to return to this, or that. Even though we're constantly reminded that no two recoveries are alike, many still search for timelines to get a rough idea. Thanks for letting us know that the site was an asset to you pre-op. Please keep us posted on your progress and have a great weekend! :wave:
 
I think it’s true that long term users of sites such as this will tend to be people who are having or have had complications. Like wise I have had a very easy recovery and am probably only still occasionally browsing the site 2 months on from the surgery because it’s so hot in the UK at the moment that I can’t get out and about as much as I would like. I have metastatic cancer and am a member of a couple of cancer support communities where the same pattern holds true.

If anyone about to have surgery is reading these threads it’s probably worth knowing that most people recover very well. I also think the key is maintaining as much mobility as possible before surgery, which of course means tackling it at the optimum time. Somewhat difficult in some of our health systems!
 
Fantastic update! You are spot on, it's so important that people get to hear a range of recovery stories. I think a lot of people recover so well and understandably are off enjoying their new hip and forget to come back to post updates. I think people are more likely to post when they are having issues. It's a real kindness to people in pre-op to share good news recovery stories to help paint a fair picture of hip replacement recovery :loveshwr:
 
7 weeks in. Still walking 2 miles in the morning and 2 in the evening. Still have some days that are tight with a little soreness and some days that are minimal. Lots of unexplainable "ebbs and floes." Time spent sitting at a desk working definitely is not helpful. I think that I've reached that crossover point where one stops measuring progress from how you were a week ago (and are pleased to see the progress) and instead are subconsciously expecting to be 100% pain free and "normal" (and are disappointed that you aren't there yet). Improvement is much more incremental now, and maybe not even noticeable on a weekly basis as it was before. I need to keep telling myself I'm only 7 weeks in.
 
Just keep repeating to yourself that full recovery can take up to a year or even longer sometimes. There are many little nuances to your soft tissues that take longer than we realize to normalize again. Remember that your hip didn’t get bad in just a few months and allow your body some grace to recover on its own time schedule. Try focusing on the things you can do now (like walking 4 miles a day!) and not on the things that are still “in progress.” You’ll get there!!!
 
I can't remember exactly when it was now but there was a point almost overnight when I could not tolerate too much sitting. It was a strange experience because sitting became the thing that was bringing a lot of discomfort whereas it was previously the thing that brought relief. How long are you sitting for one session? Maybe setting an alarm and getting up to do a few stretches and a few steps would help a bit.
 
Yes, I get involved in something and sometimes forget to get up and move around. An alarm is probably a good idea. The new hips definitely don't like sitting for long stretches.
 
I get involved in something and sometimes forget to get up and move around
If you use your phone throughout the day, consider standing up and walking around a bit as you're talking, accomplish biz and get that blood flowing at the same time. If you're watching tv, stand, stretch, and walk during every other set of commercials. When you get up to take a bathroom break, extend the walking for a bit afterward before sitting down again. Sounds like you're doing very well though with two, two mile walks daily.
Good for you! :yes!:
I need to keep telling myself I'm only 7 weeks in
Yep...you need a patience pill. I've seen some floating around here, feel free to snatch one. :wink:
Hope you have a great weekend, scorow.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom