BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Schpooko's Recovery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by schpooko, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I would so fall off one of those! Any aerobic videos I ever did in my younger days I was always going the wrong way. I’m so not coordinated! :rotfl: Give me a sewing machine and fabric any day, I can coordinate that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Another way of exercising abs is to do them on the bed. Sit on the bed with a straight back and room behind you, knees bent and feet flat on the bed. If your abs are weak you might want to start by putting your hands behind you and gradually bend your arms so you lean back on them whilst tightening your tummy muscles and using the arms to help you get back up again. Gradually work up to having your arms straight out in front and parallel to the bed, tighten tummy and lean back as far as able and hold for as long as comfortable and then use the muscles to return to upright. It's what we do at Pilates. Our teacher says it's not good for older spines to do crunches, especially on a hard surface.

If any of that is too much, just lie on the bed, knees bent, tighten tummy, push back down into bed and tilt pelvis.

3. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You can also lay on your back on your bed, bend your knees and do crunches. If there's a will, there's a way.

4. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had pain when walking in my TKR even 3 years post op. But 2 years ago I began a walking regimen that started with just 5-10 min of walking 2x a day and increasing that by 5 minutes each week. I’m not an exercise fan, but I was tired of not doing anything because of pain. I took the increase of time seriously, not going over the allotted time by setting my phone for half the time I was supposed to walk which would be my turn around point.

Now, 2 years later I take a 45-50 minutes walk a day with no pain in my TKR. I feel so much better when I walk, which I never believed would be the case. In the last month I’ve had a family issue which kept me from walking my usual amount and my knees actually were more sore when I wasn’t walking than when I was. Then there’s the weight loss that helps to take pressure off the joints. I’m down 55lbs and have done it slowly with a lifestyle change which has made my dr very happy.

Now I’m off to take my morning walk...:walking:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. eaglemom

eaglemom senior

KarriB just the inspiration that I need. I'm having such a rough time with walking. I know its what I need to do - and I do it, but my hearts not in it. I over do and that's no good. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. schpooko

schpooko member

Hi, fellow TKRer's... I meant to do an update at the six month mark, which was April 1st but I was not around so I am doing a 6 and 1/2 month update. All seems to be doing well. I am at the point where I have a lot of days where I don't even think of the knee. As you might know I was a person who followed the Bonesmart Way from beginning to now and DID not do PT. I use my recumbent bike downstairs and ADL's and that's it. Again I am so glad I found bonesmart when I did (before my surgery) because it helped tremendously :dancy: I even told my home health aide/PT girl not to come back anymore after a couple of visits right after surgery and did NO outpatient PT either. I have great ROM with flex at 135 and ext. 0.

Thanks to all who answered my exercise survey. You all gave great suggestions which I will start to do. The abs on the bed is great because I can do that while watching TV.

I do have my days where sometimes I over do it and have a little swelling but a bit of rest, ice and elevation cures things right up. My Right knee feels so much stronger than the Left which is still bone on bone but (knock on wood) feels fine. I have no pain in the left knee but for now I am just going to wait things out and enjoy the new one.

I went to the dentist today to have three cavities filled. I had two and then got another. I could not go before surgery and my OS allows you to go after six months and when you do go you have to take 4 500 mgs. of antibiotic (amoxicillin). My dentist put my mind at ease that there is no case of someone getting an implant infection from having your teeth done. He said things are more concerning for a cleaning than for a cavity filling.

Also, @Jockette or an admin. please change my thread back to Schpooko's recovery. Thank you...

That's my update...

To all newbies to TKR land my best advice I can give is patience. I know that part is the hardest but it's true. Rest, ice and elevate as much as you can. Thanks for reading

Carol:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. sistersinhim

Your post sounds fantastic! You have really come along super. We will get that title changed for you.

8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I've changed your thread title for you, Schpooko.

9. beachy

beachy post-grad

Great post! I'm right there with you at 6 months post op!
    New left knee is great, bad right knee is better than it was.

My exercise is walking. I walk with my dog 2 to 3 times a day. I had to slowly build up to it. Now I'm stronger and smaller LOL! Really helps control weight.
    I avoid kneeling. Only to get down on the floor or up again. It's quick with putting weight on it briefly.

Who would have thought the October Feisty group would be doing this well at 6 months?

10. schpooko

schpooko member

@beachy. Hey, girl. Great to hear from you... I was just wondering did you get new sneakers, etc... after your TKR? I have read that it's a good idea to do so and now that the weather is getting nicer hear in cold PA. I would love to start walking. Small at first and keep adding on, etc. What did you do to get started?

I am so glad the October Feisty group is doing great at six months. Let's keep it up

11. schpooko

schpooko member

@KarriB Thanks for suggestion. Did you get new sneakers after your TKR? I have seen many posts where it is recommended and now that it is nice I want to start walking. Following your regimen would be great. Just need to get a good pair of walking sneaks. It's also a reason to shop. Thanks for the advice

• Like Like x 1
  12. beachy

beachy post-grad

I bought 1 new pair of slip on Sketchers only because I needed them. My old Sketchers still feel ok. I confess that I do wear my Clark's flip flops:blush: occasionally.

I started walking (with my faithful companion, Tootsie) on a paved path that goes thru the woods in our community. so much to look at! I started with 10 minutes when I was recovering. Had a few bumps in life and waited for quite awhile before I started again. Just adding 5 minutes or even walking a little further than the week before. if I had pain I didn't walk. About 6 weeks ago I was up to 30- 40 minutes, weather permitting. And it wasn't speed walking. More like a leisurely stroll. Toots has to sniff everything. On really cold days I bundled up and did what I could. I truly believe the fresh air was as good as the exercise. Point is....I got outside and enjoyed it. No gym. No formal training.

Remember when we were early days and could make a full rotation on the stationary bike after rocking the pedals? I made small victories like that with walking.

When we came back to the beach last month I started slow on the beach. Just walking down to the water and back to see if I could walk in the sand.
    Today I walked to Delaware and back. Ok, it's only 5 blocks each way. Don't judge. :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:

Just go outside and enjoy the weather. And walk. But, don't do anything that hurts.

• Like Like x 4
  13. KarriB

@schpooko I bought new sneakers right before my TKR because I knew I’d need slip on sneakers to recover. I’ve found the whole shoe thing true, wearing any of my old shoes is extremely difficult and does mess with my gait. Let us know how the walking goes.

I agree with @beachy . Around 3 years post op I began walking 10 or 15 minutes a day 2x a day. I’d set my phone for half the time and that’s when I’d turn around and head home. I wasn’t racing or walking fast, just trying to build up those muscles around the TKR. It made sense to me to try walking instead of leg presses (I’d already tried leg presses) or some other type of exercise because walking is what I wanted my knee to do. After a few months I combined my 2 short walks into one long walk and now I intentionally walk 45-50 minutes a day. I am not an exercise fiend or someone who loves exercising, but it has been THE very best thing I’ve done for my knee and my overall health. My dad was very sick for a few months and I wasn’t able to walk except hospital corridors and to my surprise I missed it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  14. schpooko

schpooko member

Hello All Bonesmarties.... Well I am 7 1/2 months today post op TKR... And I have some interesting news to report. I fell out of the shower. I was in the shower (water going) and we put down a mat so I don't fall (that's a laugh:heehee:) :bignono::holysheep: I went to turn around to get the soap off my back and the mat slid out from under me towards the drain and I went out of the shower side ways. Out of shear panic:yikes: I, of course, grabbed the shower curtain which proceeded to tear down with me and I fell directly on my back to the floor. At first, I was more scared than hurt because all I thought of is my knee and how the hell am I going to get up. I moved my legs, arms etc... to see if anything was broken or sprained and Thank God nothing was. My knee felt fine since I did not land on it. My OS told me not to kneel on the knee but there is no way I could get up without turning myself around and using my knees. This was so hard to do because everything was wet and I did not want to get myself up and fall again from the floor being slippery. So I grabbed the shower pole and used it to shut the water off, turned my body around and used the knees to get up holding on to the toilet. Let me tell you it does not feel too terrific to kneel on it but I did.

I was scared. I put a towel around me and called my husband at work and started crying. He calmed me down. After the adrenaline wore off I did have some bumps and bruises and one cut where I was wearing bracelet. But I was more scared that I did something to my knee but it held up beautifully. :dancy:

Well, it feels good to get this off my chest and let everyone know that these knees that we got are very sturdy.

:bignono::tantrum2:But most of all, don't use a mat in the shower. :banghead:You never know when it will just slip out from under you.

I hope all the new recovering bonesmarties are doing well and hello to all my veteran bonesmarties.

Carol

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

What a scary experience, so glad you’re ok!

16. sistersinhim

Oh my gosh, I would have cried, too. So much for a shower 'safety mat'! Thank God you are OK. I bet you are sore all over. When you fall it jars everything. I fell directly on my knee less than a year out and the implant did fine. Not so my soft tissues, though. But, they healed with some TLC.

17. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Glad you are ok! :console2:

18. KarriB

Glad you’re no worse for wear! The idea of falling scares me! I have fallen a few times, most recently I went down on both knees and it took over a month for my knees to settle down, but my TKR is just fine now.

19. beachy

beachy post-grad

Good grief girl!!!!
    You were so lucky. I'm glad you're ok. I was 7 months on May 11. I occasionally kneel, but it doesn't feel good when I do. Just to get up off the floor or get down. Nothing sustained.
    I hope your body isn't too sore in the aftermath.

20. Irish471

Irish471 senior

@schpooko , you poor thing! How scary!!! Glad you are okay and didn't hurt your knee.