TKR Schpooko's Recovery

I think he will ask me because he did at my last appt. He wanted to know if I had started outpatient PT which I did not at that time. When he looks at my chart he will not see any PT summaries. Oh! well. All I know is I did what was best for me and I am happy with the results I have achieved so far.
Your last sentence (I've put it into bold font) is the most important here.
You do have the right to choose how to rehab your knee. As long as you're making progress, your surgeon has no reason to complain.
 
Merry Christmas Fellow BoneSmarties! Post Op Week 10. I am in week 10 which was Monday and things are moving along. Because of car troubles I have not made it back to the OS since sometime in the middle of November. I do have an appt. with him after Christmas during the school break and I will go with my son and them maybe have lunch out or something like that. It's funny he has not called me nor has his PA to find out how I am doing. I know that it's really heard and I know he has a lot of patients, but me and his PA were talking at least once a week before and shortly thereafter the surgery and now nothing. I only saw him two times after surgery and I did not do PT so he has not heard an update about me from them so I guess he feels I am doing alright, which I am, and I don't need to come in.

I just do my ADL's each day and walk around the house, etc... I have such a fear of snow and ice right now at this time of the year. I was always scared of falling before TKR and falling is what made me have to have surgery on my right knee but I always think back to the joint class where the PT person said it would catastrophic if you fall after TKR. She really put the fear into me with the word "catastrophic".

Today is my birthday and every year we go for a Christmas tree and get take out. So after hubby and son come home from school and work, off we go. I did not really decorate for Halloween in October either inside or outside so I made sure I put up the decorations for the Christmas season. The fall and the beginning of winter are my favorite time of year for decorating and making the house nice. :gbh::santawave::tree2;

My knee is coming along. I don't ice anymore and I do take it easy each day. I sometimes have to take motrin or tylenol before bed for doing to much during the day. And I try to massage my knee each night, which helps any little bit of pain I may have. The stiffness is getting better in the a.m. and I do not have the high rise toilet seat up anymore. I took that down a while ago but its just starting to get easier to make that squat. I have done some of the stores, using the cart as a walker and such, it does get tiring but doable.

Well, that is my update for Week 10. I hope all of you are moving along in your recoveries. I can say it does get better as time goes on but it still is a "brutal" surgery as my RA would say. So be good to yourself and rest, elevate and ice when need be. Merry Christmas to:reindeerlights: all, Schpooko:santa hug::santa sleigh::dancing:
 
@Jockette Thanks for reminding me what I said last post. That is the most important thing. Regards, Schpooko
 
I was such a wreck most of my first year of recovery! I agreed wholeheartedly with Bonesmart when I found it, and adopted its approach, but my surgeon was big on PT and always someone in the office asked about it, until my 7 month checkup.

I wish I’d have had confidence early on to take charge of my recovery and do it my way, (of course making an informed decision, not just not doing what I was told) and not make any apologies for it.

I am not a strong willed person, so even though it knew I was doing the right thing for me, the possible confrontation about it was upsetting.

I plan to have stronger confidence next time around. And I’m hoping to find a surgeon that I can work better with next time.
 
I have done some of the stores, using the cart as a walker and such, it does get tiring but doable.
That is great that you can do that! Using that cart definitely helps to keep us safe as we walk. Getting out and doing things for ourselves helps our mental health!
 
What a great aspirational post! A lot of positives for those of us behind you to look forward to. I was also told explicitly in our pre-TKR class "You will not fall!" -- and like you am being so careful with the snow and ice - I hve the spikey thing on my cane and grippers for my boots. Merry Christmas to You.
 
Sounds like you are doing great!

We decided NOT to decorate this year, first time in my adult life that we do not have a tree. We normally have two trees and all the trimmings in the house, very festive. But this year with my surgery and two cats!! we decided to skip Christmas decorating and I haven't really missed it.

I am at 8 weeks and still have swelling and pain but am able to wean off the pain meds during the day except PT days. I feel like I am doing well and making progress but it sure is a S L O W process..

Merry Christmas to you too and Happy New Year!!
 
:flwrysmile:Belated Happy Birthday!

Week 10 is treating you well! I’ll be 10 weeks next Thursday and hope to make a big turn. I’m in the ODIC now.
Totally agree about the brutal surgery part! Let’s add long recovery also LOL.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
 
Happy New Year to everyone! I am at the three month mark tomorrow... and I just had the scare of the my life. I was in my son's room (who is messy to say the least) putting laundry away as I closed the dresser drawer and turned around, I did not see what was on the floor and I fell. My heart was pounding. My worst fear has happened . I did not directly fall on my new knee. But let me say I now know what it feels like to kneel LOL!!! Not as bad as I thought from what I have read and the knee held up. I do have to admit kneeling does not feel the same as the other knee, it's weird. I used my arms to help myself up to the bed and sat there almost in tears, not from pain but from being scared.:yikes: I told you guys before the joint class I had said it was catastrophic to fall and I have had the fear ever since. Well, beside a bruise that will occur on my hip I am fine, thank God. Also, I know my flex is 135 at least with no pain.

Well, beside the fall today, I am doing really well. Went to OS Thursday, he said all I need now is to keep doing what I am doing and get some strength in the knee, which I will do with time. I told him I did not go to PT and he said "I know I did not receive any reports" LOL!!! :heehee: Oh, well. I did it my way. I can say to you guys as I said to him I am glad I did the surgery. I am rid of the pain I had in that knee. I see him in a year for a follow up and an X Ray. He said if I change my mind about doing the other knee sooner come in sooner. I told him that knee does not bother me and I don't want to do this again right now.

I hope all of my Bonesmarties have a very Happy and Healthy New Year. And to all who are in the early (and later stages) of recovery rest, ice, elevate and most of all be patient. It's hard sometimes so take this time to have that much needed rest.

HERE IS TO A PAIN FREE 2019!!!!! :martini::cheers:
 
I fell. My heart was pounding. My worst fear has happened .
I told you guys before the joint class I had said it was catastrophic to fall and I have had the fear ever since.
I'm sorry you had a fall and you got such a fright, @schpooko . I'm glad you're all right.
But I have to say that it's probably a good thing it happened. You've fallen and you've come through it OK.

Many of us have had a fall, or even more than one, and very, very few of us have done any damage to our new knees. Those pieces of hardware are tough customers and, unless you have a really serious fall, you are unlikely to damage them. You can get soft tissue damage and bruising, but you won't ruin the implant or the surgeon's work.

The joint class you attended over-emphasized the danger of falling. The vast majority of falls are not catastrophic. They're frightening and unpleasant, though.

I had my first fall when my new knee was about 2 months old. I tripped as I was going up the steps into my dentist's surgery - I knew I hated going to the dentist! I landed with both my knees on a concrete step, but the only damage I did was to bruise those knees.

I did have a bad fall when one of my TKRs was 2 years old. As I was going up a very large escalator at an underground station, someone pushed past me and I lost my grip on the hand rail. I did a complete backwards head-over-heels and ended up on my knees, with my right hip hard against the side of the escalator. The only damage? Lots of bruising on my knees, right hip and thigh, and some grazes on my back, from the escalator steps. I was very sore for about a week, but my knees were perfectly fine.
 
@Celle Glad you were okay. Those sounded like really scary and painful falls. You are right I am now not as fearful and I hope it does not happen again. Also, it allowed me to see how much me leg can really flex... Thanks for your advice
 
I’m sorry you fell, glad you’re ok!

I’m also sorry your class instructor over emphasized falling and scared you so much. My goodness, as if we don’t worry enough in this recovery!

I’ve read here members talk about falling and their replacement was fine.
 
@Jockette Thanks.. I am okay but tonight I feel a little sore. I will just take it easy and follow my own advice... Rest, ice and elevate. Happy New Year to you.
 
I did not see what was on the floor and I fell.
I stepped in a hole when my knee was a little less than a year old and fell directly on it. The implant was fine, but my soft tissues were pretty sore for about a week. Ice and elevation helped.
 
Last edited:
Oh golly gosh schpooko that would of been very scary, glad you are ok ☺
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom